GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,457 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

No Retreat! The Russian Front» Forums » Rules

Subject: Caucasus Oil Field for Axis Objective Victory rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If the Axis want to win via Objectives and they want to include the Caucasus oil field as one of their objectives, they need to "control and trace supply" to the oil field. I understand "control" (last to occupy or pass through), but in order to "trace supply" to the oil field is the oil field treated like a city (unlimited length westerly supply path to the edge of the board) or does there need to be a supplied Axis unit in the oil field?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not see why controlling the oil field would be any different than any other victory city! The rules for controlling VP Hexes are "A Victory Point hex is “controlled” by a side if its units were the last to pass through or occupy it" (12.7.1) and/or the city, objective hex "began that scenario as a friendly supplied City hex" (6.1).

The orders are a bit unclear if an Oil field has to trace supply to a friendly map edge like a city, but I would assume so. So basically a German controlled Oil field would have to trace supply unlimited spaces to the German map-edge border. You could then station 2 or 3 Axis minor units in order to prevent Russian units from reinforcing from the southern Russian border (they cannot be rebuilt inside an enemy EZoC on the map edge) (7.6).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
Kirk "The Man" Douglas (Vikings)
mbmbmbmbmb
That Oil field the Germans can capture is an Objective hex and yes ALL objective hexes must trace supply. Read 12.1 and there is no need to garrison it, though it would be wise to do so as the Russian can bring units in from the south edge of the Board. Also notice that oil hex is just far enough away from Rostov (five hexes) that you will need two units to keep your units in supply down there or you will lose them to a smart Russian player.

Cheers
Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks. I think that my question boils down to "is an oil field treated like a city for purposes of being in supply?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WonderCinz wrote:
Thanks. I think that my question boils down to "is an oil field treated like a city for purposes of being in supply?"

No it is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
WonderCinz wrote:

No it is not.

So I need to have a supplied unit in the oil field in order to count the oil field towards Objective Victory?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WonderCinz wrote:
licinius wrote:
WonderCinz wrote:

No it is not.

So I need to have a supplied unit in the oil field in order to count the oil field towards Objective Victory?

You need to have a unit adjacent to the oil field (so that the hex is in supply, unless Astrakhan is captured). A unit in the oilfield hex itself is not bad either.

I"ll add a precision of this in the 2012 Living Rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
WonderCinz wrote:
licinius wrote:
WonderCinz wrote:

No it is not.

You need to have a unit adjacent to the oil field (so that the hex is in supply, unless Astrakhan is captured). A unit in the oilfield hex itself is not bad either.

Excellent! Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
WonderCinz wrote:
licinius wrote:
WonderCinz wrote:

No it is not.

Carl thank you for clarifying!

EDIT: Would this be considered to be an exception to the normal supply rules? Since an Oil VP is not a city and not a unit, it kind of falls into a gray area correct (a hex which is treated like a unit, in regards to supply)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SW_Cygnus wrote:
EDIT: Would this be considered to be an exception to the normal supply rules? Since an Oil VP is not a city and not a unit, it kind of falls into a gray area correct (a hex which is treated like a unit, in regards to supply)?

Yeah perhaps.

In the game the point is somewhat moot, as you will need to keep a unit in there or adjacent if you don't want the Soviets to pop up a unit next to it (since it can enter on border hexes that are not in an EZOC).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.