GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,304 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Ah to be 18 again. (Caution- Ranty) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
N H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first foray into chit-chat. This rant will be focused on the the quote "ah to be 18 again, when I still knew everything". Now, my goal is not to attack the person using that phrase in a recent general gaming post, but instead to stimulate conversation about that phrase itself. In the context it was used, it was not really attacking the statement a person was saying, so my reaction is more something that has been festering for a while.

(Full disclosure: Though not 18, I am at the relatively young age of 30.) I have a couple of problems with that quote, and while I am most likely being overly sensitive, it will feel good to get this off my chest, and hopefully will result in some interesting analysis from my fellow BGGers.

1. It is often used as an ad hominem (sp?) attack, to discredit the opinion being given by attacking the person stating it rather than the opinion being given. If an older persons opinion is more correct or nuanced, it should be defensible and explainable.

2. Even as an attack on a person, I question it's wisdom. Isn't it at least possible that at that age, although we are most likely to see things in black and white, we are also most likely to come to a correct conclusion about an issue? While I do not agree with all of the things that I believed when I was 18, why should I suppose that the conclusions I come to now, at a time that I have fewer brain cells than I did previously, are the correct answers. I know I tend to believe that my beliefs at this time are more rational than those I previously held, that I am working with information that is more complete and accurate, but I have no way of measuring that to know that it is true. I know that often, when I talk to my elders, when we disagree I tend to defer more. But is this because they are right more often, or because that is the behavior that our culture has ingrained in us. I feel that if I approach the arguments of an 18 year old with anything but a completely open mind, it will only harm my ability to think critically about their statement.

I don't know if any of this makes sense, but it feels like this "the young are stupid" belief is a harmful one. Why does it exist? To make the elderly feel smugly confident in the superiority of their positions? That seems unlikely. To make individuals be able to look back on their own mistakes and laugh? Possibly, but most of the time the offending quote is used it is not describing one's own actions. What do you think? Am I crazy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn Kids! Get off my lawn!

Welcome to Chit Chat. Dibs on his soul!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid I sold my soul for an extra power point in Chaos in the Old World years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lousy trade. You should have at least gotten some bacon for it. Or a burrito.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meredyth
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Chit Chat!

I just figure that if I could travel back in time to when I was 18 and keep my knowledge, I'd be a really dull 18 year old.

I'd probably do everything right, work waaay too hard and miss out on all the fun I had!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's mostly used to slap a young-un into place when they're talking foolishness. It's used to spell out idealistic nature to the jaded.
Yes the young can and do excel in a lot of ways, but I think the quote refers to life experience.

I know everything I have ever done has gotten better with experience. When you're 18 you might have more brain cells, but nothing trumps know-how. Could bobby fischer beat me in chess? yes. could he beat me in bocce. I doubt it. It's all relative. Anyone that says that, has something he knows that you don't, or is just being an ass using it like, "He thinks he can do that, hahaha".

BTW: Something I would bet no one has told you... you don't change and feel all adult one day. Inside I feel every bit the 18 year old I was 28yrs ago. I just can't party all night, or eat red meat anymore. And I don't have a gall bladder... Maybe it was said out of jealousy.

Oh and the word
Spoiler (click to reveal)
GAMING
is not allowed in chit chat. They'll take your soul for that.

Welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love to think that my knowledge base has only gotten better with experience, but do I know that is the case. I know that when I was 25 I had some beliefs that I did not hold when I was 18, but that today I agree with my 18 year old self. So which set of experience is more accurate? I can't say for sure. Is thinking of our increased experience in a positive manner possibly an example of cognitive dissonance?

And thanks to you all for the warm welcome! Souls for everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I drink your milkshake!
mbmbmbmbmb
4th stringer wrote:

Souls for everyone!

Shang Tsung?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4th stringer wrote:
This rant will be focused on the the quote "ah to be 18 again, when I still knew everything".

I think a lot of people use this in a rather wistful sense as well. As you get older, you start to realise that you do not know everything, in fact your knowledge of the world is rather limited and you do not 'have all the answers', but neither did you at 18. The difference is, when you are 18 you wouldn't admit that laugh

So it becomes a sort of wistful: "I wish I could see the world as simple, black and white again, when everything was clear-cut."

Experience teaches us that things typically are not so straight forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BigChzy wrote:
4th stringer wrote:

Souls for everyone!

Shang Tsung?

Everybody Shang Tsung tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Youth is wasted on the young.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also read the quote: "It is a mistake to assume that gray hair always is a sign of wisdom."

Still, youth has its folly. It also has its uses. Watch TNG's "Tapestry" for a good example.

And yes, most people assume that they are always right, whatever their age. However, at 18 they haven't yet the experience that they actually are wrong regardless. Such experience is enlightening.

And what's wrong with an ad hominem attack? It saves a lot of time which would otherwise be spent arguing to deaf ears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hedke
United States
Gibraltar
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most problems can be solved with either a stiff drink, a bowel movement, or a bullet.
mbmbmbmbmb
"With age comes wisdom" can be translated to me as "with age comes empathy".

What I mean by this is that the young tend to look at any given issue and internalize the response they offer based on their own life experience which at 18 is limited. When I was 18 and was asked my opinion on a subject which was different from yours, I assumed you were incorrect based on a faulty assessment of the facts we both had at hand. How, given the same data, could you not draw the same conclusion as me? My opinion was the definition of the correct opinion and any one which varied was incorrect.

Only with the experience of interacting with many different people over time did I slowly realize that your life experiences, the knocks you took and the joys you received, the jobs you held and/or lost, the money you did/didn't have, the health isses you did/didn't have, a plethora of different stimuli all shaped HOW you came to the conclusion you did. You don't process information the same way I do. I my case this came as a surprise, but one which took years to realize. This is not a fault in 18 year olds, but a fact which older folks tend to recognize and comment on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was 18 I was not in a great place. I was probably smarter brainwise, but was hoping for a brighter future when I could do whatever I wanted and be self-sufficient.

Many years after 18 I realized that being an adult means not being able to do "what you want" but rather "what you should" and that it is very hard to be self-sufficient. We definitely need others in our lives to enrich us and make us more human.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
4th stringer wrote:
...open mind

Who says we have an open mind? Lawn. Off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.