GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,483 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Easiest Ancient One to beat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Been getting my butt kicked by this game recently and I was wondering which was the easiest ancient one for beginners to beat?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In final combat, Yig. Ithaqua is also usually not so tough, but the equipment rolls can bit you.

Otherwise, Azathoth, who has the mildest of in-game effects and the longest Doom Track.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Christie
Australia
Eastwood
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest Azathoth, simply because it takes 14 Doom tokens before he wakes up and destroys civilisation as we know it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest Yig, for the exact opposite reason. If you have newbies, the game's going to have downtime as you explain rules. A shorter Ancient One is better.

Plus, a high probability for a final combat they may actually win is a good way to prepare them for the brutality of later AOs.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All these suggestions are good. Tibs is a master of all things Arkham, so take my comments with a grain of salt. Just because it hasn't been mentioned yet, though, I'll state why I would suggest using Azathoth until you win that first game.

- In games where there is a creeping awareness that you're not going to get to six seals and the GOO is going to awaken, there's a shift towards buffing yourself for that final battle. It might be easier for beginners to worry only about the single goal of sealing six gates or losing rather than trying to discern when to shift strategy and how. Most final combats will be lost pretty handily anyway; gate sealing is how most games are won most often.

- Beginners aren't going to maximize their turn efficiency as well. Having fourteen on the doom track allows a more reasonable margin for error when learning the basic, optimal strategies of the game.

...but yes; Yig, Ithaqua and Azathoth are all good picks; it's your preference I suppose as to what kind of experience you want.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Azathoth also has minimal added AO rules, which is good. With Yig you have to avoid Cultists. So long as the newbies don't mind that the game could take a while, Azathoth is a perfectly fine pick.

Might I also recommend Nyarlathotep too: his track is short (if you want to go with the short-n-sweet versus long-n-brooding angle), he adds NO new rules (aside from endless Cultists) because you add new monsters to the bag, and his battle modifier and attack are minor. Highly winnable.

Well then we could put it this way:

Use (in order from shortest to longest game)
Yig
Nyarlathotep / Ithaqua
Azathoth

Avoid
Cthulhu (tough final battle)
Hastur (many, many clues to seal; alternately, the updated version is just plain harder)
Shub-Niggurath (monsters are a pain; tough final combat)
Yog-Sothoth (EVERYTHING's a pain; devilish final combat)
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anomalous wrote:
I suggest Azathoth, simply because it takes 14 Doom tokens before he wakes up and destroys civilisation as we know it.


And there are only eleven unstable locations, with no gate bursts in the base game. About the only way he can win is by the required number of gates being open at one time.

Bwahahahahahahahahaha

With a thirteen doom track, Cthulhu isn't bad, either; but, that af-start penalty should probably wait until the players are a little more experienced.

Brian
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Call me stoopid but I thought the question was "which is the easiest AO to beat?" Not, which is the best for a noob or which has least effects on the game. Just which is easiest to beat.

The answer can be found in the Arkham Horror Statistics spreadsheet that Tibs maintains at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AliZyklaTCWzdEs.... Here we see that the answer is "Ithaqua", followed by Nyarlathotep. You have (if the stats are reliable) around a 1 in 4 chance of beating either of these AOs.

Have fun.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No one is stoopid here, we're all just possibly a little less sane than we'd like to be.
goo

I did interpret the question more broadly. If I seal six gates, I would say that I "beat the GOO." Still, semantics are no fun to argue. Besides, you offered a great link that I have neglected to revisit recently; very cool.

Speaking of semantics, I know you said, "beat the AO," but "beat the GOO" was more fun to type.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stats site gets updated the first of every month. If my Modern Physics exam doesn't send me into a downward spiral (unlikely) then I should update the report page on Thursday.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack M
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
kungfro wrote:
Stats site gets updated the first of every month. If my Modern Physics exam doesn't send me into a downward spiral (unlikely) then I should update the report page on Thursday.


Unless you suffer from mental paralysis, you shouldn't feel such creeping doom. Don't have nightmarish visions about such weakness of the mind. I'm sure your grades will receive a primal surge from this exam grade. Unless you speak to your friend during the exam, in which case Dr. Kolagani's uncontrollable rage will lead to your ruination.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
No one is stoopid here, we're all just possibly a little less sane than we'd like to be.
goo

I did interpret the question more broadly. If I seal six gates, I would say that I "beat the GOO." Still, semantics are no fun to argue. Besides, you offered a great link that I have neglected to revisit recently; very cool.

Speaking of semantics, I know you said, "beat the AO," but "beat the GOO" was more fun to type.
The stats I was quoting are what proportion of games where AO[x] is the GOO are won by the players. They are independant of method (seals, all gates, or final battle. There other stats for easiest to beat in battle and quickest/slowest to wake. Hope you approve of my use of GOO (!)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Brother Jim wrote:
No one is stoopid here, we're all just possibly a little less sane than we'd like to be.
goo

I did interpret the question more broadly. If I seal six gates, I would say that I "beat the GOO." Still, semantics are no fun to argue. Besides, you offered a great link that I have neglected to revisit recently; very cool.

Speaking of semantics, I know you said, "beat the AO," but "beat the GOO" was more fun to type.
The stats I was quoting are what proportion of games where AO[x] is the GOO are won by the players. They are independant of method (seals, all gates, or final battle. There other stats for easiest to beat in battle and quickest/slowest to wake. Hope you approve of my use of GOO (!)


Ah, OK. I thought you were making a case for a discussion of the beating the GOO in combat only; now I see your point. Sorry for the wrinkle on the thread; I suppose (hey, maybe) the discussion might be helpful for the OP in identifing how different specific elements of different GOOs potentially might make it difficult for them to win. The link you shared lays it all out. For the record, I try not to make judgments on how any individual chooses to use their GOO.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uy T

orange
California
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you're playing with one investigator and with only the base game, it doesn't get any easier than Mandy Thompson vs Nyarlathotep. All you need is one decent weapon and just horde up all your clues, while evading monsters. Let him awaken, and shoot him in the face.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jack21222 wrote:
Unless you suffer from mental paralysis, you shouldn't feel such creeping doom. Don't have nightmarish visions about such weakness of the mind. I'm sure your grades will receive a primal surge from this exam grade. Unless you speak to your friend during the exam, in which case Dr. Kolagani's uncontrollable rage will lead to your ruination.

Thank you for that. All of it. Turns out the exam was not a huge deal (Dr. Kolagani, rage?). Rather, I am now grading a different exam, and we can continue to play the Black Goat corruption game with regards to these exams:

Creeping Doom: The state of America's projected future
Downward Spiral: The state of American public education standards
Endless Greed: The state of degree-granting institutions in general
Fate and Fortune: Non-science majors' perception of astronomy
Mental Paralysis: Occurs when SMART students get hung up an answer. These students, however, spill out answers not unlike projectile vomit
Nightmarish Visions: "No child left behind" and "pizza is a vegetable" make for a killer combo
Primal Surge: Suddenly remembering the answer to the problem (but it's still wrong)
Ruination: Our future when these students take the reigns
Speak to Your Friend: Sharing stupid answers with others
Strength of Flesh: Celebrate how Thursday is close to Friday, which heralds the weekend, by attending a kegger
The Skin Crawls when I ponder how multiple students think that a lunar eclipse occurs when the Sun comes between the Earth and the Moon
Uncontrollable Rage: The misanthropy I feel when I grade these and realize that these kids are supposed to be our future
Weakness of Mind: Almost every student
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.