GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,401 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

7 Wonders» Forums » General

Subject: Just Opened My Copy - Is This REALLY how it comes packaged? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi gang, I just received my copy of this game, but I had some questions about what I saw when I opened it.

I searched the forums, checked for unboxing videos, etc, but couldn't find anything relating to the first print run of the game (which is what I think I have here). Hopefully someone can help me out.

Is it true that there is no insert for the game (again, I know the later prints have an insert, but I think mine is from the first print and there was no insert).

With no insert, my various civilization boards got very banged up on all four corners during shipping.

The Cards came in three seperate packs. Two of them were shrink wrapped with the gold foil you peel off to open. The third, which was mostly Age 3 cards was in a zip lock bag. I thought that was odd.

Lastly, all the tokens were in a baggy I was expecting I would have to punch them out.

Anyway. Maybe this is all perfectly normal, but the more I looked at it, the more I started to wonder if it was possible something was wrong with the contents of my game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like something fishy happened with your copy. This was not how my game came. The game comes with a very nicely designed insert IMHO.

If I had to guess, it sounds like somebody purchased this copy of the game for the Age III cards with corrected colors, swapped those out for another copy of the game they owned and then sent this copy back to the seller. In this case you are getting a used game and a copy with the different colored Age III cards, in addition. If you bought it "new," then you definitely should ask for an exchange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
It sounds like something fishy happened with your copy. This was not how my game came. The game comes with a very nicely designed insert IMHO.

If I had to guess, it sounds like somebody purchased this copy of the game for the Age III cards with corrected colors, swapped those out for another copy of the game they owned and then sent this copy back to the seller. In this case you are getting a used game and a copy with the different colored Age III cards, in addition. If you bought it "new," then you definitely should ask for an exchange.

AFAIK the nice insert only came with the third printing. However, the first printing came with a crappy insert at the very least, and you did have to punch the tokens. I agree, something is fishy with your copy...contact the seller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
The first edition did have an insert. It was a cardboard insert (or rather thick cardstock). All cards should have been packaged the same way, and the tokens were originally in sheets.

I agree with Brother Jim. Sounds like you got a(n ab)used copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the quick replies!

I was very discouraged to think that this was the copy I was going to get saddled with. Thanks for confirming my fears, so I can set about getting a good copy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb
The insert in my first edition was fairly damp when it arrived and was damaged beyond repair. The player boards were somewhat warped as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, are your coins painted wooden tokens? Or printed designs on cardboard?

The 1st printing of the game has wooden coins and a cardboard insert that's little more than a trough to store the items. The 2nd & 3rd printing of the game has cardboard coins, and a molded plastic insert (think Wrath of Ashardalon style), which holds everything very nicely. And all the tokens come in sheets that need to be punched out.

Here's hoping you get your hands on a shiny new copy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, mine is the copy with the wooden pieces. Which I believe means it's a first print run.

Am I right that the expansion works better with the later print runs because the names of the civilizations changed in later prints?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mitchell
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Do I have overtext?
badge
Yes I do.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with Leaders with both a 1st ed. and a 2nd ed, and never really noticed a difference.

The biggest thing is that the 6 coins are cardboard with the expansion, so you've got cardboard and wooden money both if you're dealing with 1st edition.

I like the wonder's powers on the 1st edition better - they're written in english rather than the somewhat opaque icons in 2nd+. YMMV of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Ruck
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Crabro was my first own-design stunt kite, named after a genus of black and yellow stinging insect in the UK
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
Yes, mine is the copy with the wooden pieces. Which I believe means it's a first print run.

I'd think about keeping it then...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Boyle
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wooden chip goodness.... Next trip to Michaels or Jo Ann, I plan on buying some of the little wooden chits (they come in different sizes) and turning them into "7 Wonders coins". Does anyone have some close shots of the wooden chits or is this link the chits? http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1106476/7-wonders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Crabro wrote:
Pelvidar wrote:

I'd think about keeping it then...

I dunno about that. I have the first print run and it didn't match the expansion age 3 colors or coins. The publisher was cool enough to send me replacements though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hi gang, I just received my copy of this game,

I think the key question is where did you get the game?

If from a retailer, you definitely have a problem.

If from another gamer, the question is how the game condition was described.

Despite the fairly useful description hints that BGG offers, I've seen some folks mark a game as "brand new" and then describe it as "played only a few times" (which means it's out of shrink, has the counters punched, and can't hope to be any higher than "very good" in terms of condition description.)

If the seller said the game was "new," you have a fraud case on your hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case Kevin, it was from a retailer. Ordered online. A popular one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Kaiser
Germany
Kriftel
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aussieb1987 wrote:
Wooden chip goodness.... Next trip to Michaels or Jo Ann, I plan on buying some of the little wooden chits (they come in different sizes) and turning them into "7 Wonders coins". Does anyone have some close shots of the wooden chits or is this link the chits? http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1106476/7-wonders

I know i am late, but the coins shown are the ones that came with my copy of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.