GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,365 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Rob Lee
United Kingdom
Wymondham
Norfolk
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Gamegeeks,

I have played many war board games over the years (mainly American Civil war) and as so often happens while chatting over a beer, at the start of this year I felt that I could create a game that was equal or better in quality and playability. This became something of an obsession, mainly to prove to my friends and family that I could actually "walk the walk"! To cut a long story short, I have developed a board game which following copious play-testing with said family and friends actually got very favourable opinions. I spent a month or so exploring the world of game agents and copyright and all that jazz but designing games is not my business nor am I looking to change professions! I have done sufficient to cover myself in the unlikely event I have designed the next "BattleCry"!! At this stage I am simply interested in discovering what neutral game experts think of my game, so I am hoping the bloggosphere will come to my aid, and I've found boardgamegeek to be a great site for buying games and getting great info.
Basically I have 6 box sets of my game to give away in return for constructive feedback. Anyone interested, can contact me via gamegeek and ask for a copy of the rules and if, after reading the rules, you're still interested in receiving a box then I'll send one to you.

The game is called "FIGHTING FOR VIRGINIA" (inital names I discovered had already been taken!!) It is a 2-player game appealing to everyone (9-99 years) not just
war-game geeks, no special knowledge of the civil war is required.
• The game is quick to learn, easy to play but takes many months to
master. There are no fiddly stacks of counters and no piles of playing
cards. Compared to many
other war-games there are few (
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you could post a few images of the game in your BGG gallery.

Good Luck with your project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How difficult is the game to construct? If you posted the rules and components, I'm sure you would have a few volunteers willing to print it out and try it. That would save you shipping costs and get your game a bit more exposure (since there would be fewer hoops to jump through before trying it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob Lee...hmmm...you wouldn't happen to be named after General Robert E. Lee?

Good for you for taking the next step and getting out of your comfort zone by putting your baby in front of total strangers. I always wait with baited breath for the response.

Good luck to you, sir.

That Cowboy Guy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lee
United Kingdom
Wymondham
Norfolk
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks Nate K, I had thought of that route, however, the map / board could be tricky for folks to create and the army cubes likewise. Hence I created a few completed boxed sets to distribute, thus saving everyone hassle. Plus I would be interested in feedback regarding the presentation as well as the game. With only 6 boxes up for grabs i'm happy to bite the postal bullet in return for some expert comments.

if you want a copy of the rules Nate then email me via gamegeek and I'll send you them, they seem to be going fast!

Cheers,

Rob Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lee
United Kingdom
Wymondham
Norfolk
flag msg tools
designer
Good idea Pete, I do have photos already so I should be able to manage that. Are you interested in receiving the rules?

Cheers,

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Lambert4x wrote:
Good idea Pete, I do have photos already so I should be able to manage that. Are you interested in receiving the rules?

Sadly, I wouldn't have time. Thanks for the offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Giving the rules a read-through at the moment, although they're a little long, so I might not finish tonight.

The introduction doesn't quite capture the drama of the Civil War, in my opinion. It could be "punched up," as Brandon Sanderson likes to say.

I really like how fog of war is handled.

"The game starts on Turn 3 of 1861. The actual war began in April 1861, with the first major action in the Eastern Theatre taking place in the summer of that year. Hence 1861 is 4 Turns long; all other years start at Turn 1 and consist of 6 Turns." I haven't seen the map or turn marker, so maybe this part needs the visual aid to make sense, but it reads weird to me. I had to reread it a couple of times before it clicked. I would reword it to something like, "Each year of the game is divided into six turns, representing two months. The exception to this is 1861, the first year of the game. That year is only four turns long. This represents the fact that the actual war began in April 1861, with the first major action in the Eastern Theatre taking place in the summer of that year."

I like that there are different victory conditions and different ways to accumulate Victory Points for each side. This does a good job of accurately representing the goals of each side and the history of the war.

Capturing a town is nice and straight-forward, yet should provide a lot of tactical and strategic decisions. Do I want to sit on this town for a couple of turn in order to capture it, or is it more important to rush this army to a different position?

It's late, so I'm going to finish reading through the rules later, but hopefully this will give you some things to consider. Mechanically, I'm liking what I see so far. I just think the writing needs some sprucing up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lee
United Kingdom
Wymondham
Norfolk
flag msg tools
designer
Many thanks Nate for the feedback so far, it's exactly the detailed analysis I am looking for. Also very pleased that on the whole you find it ok. Regarding length, that was an issue for me. I hate having to wade through inch thick books to suss a game out and i expect that applies to many others too, especially the younger generation who have grown up with playstation etc. Similarly, it annoys me when the rules are so ambiguous and incomplete as to raising more questions than they solve. I am thinking of creating a short set of the basic rules for folks who want to get started asap as well as the more comprehensive rules with all the historical stuff, examples and strategic tips etc. I've also used the rules to clarify issues that cropped up during playtesting so I have aired on the side of fully comprehensive!

I look forward to receiving your continued feedback. Also please note that pictures of the game are now in my gallery and on a later thread, these may help your reading.

Cheers again and a big thumbs up to you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Longstreet
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Columbia's Gettysburg: Badges of Courage
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert,

I just read you post today.

I too have played Civil War games for many many years. In fact I have dedicated much of my free time to researching and poorly writing about the subject. I have created a few "old fashion" hex games that a friend and I play once and awhile. If you would like to send me your rules I would be glad to read them over as I understand that rule construction is possibly one of the most difficult task of a new game designer. The old adage KISS is hard to convey.

John Longstreet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat Lord
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to take a look at the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wert
United States
Corydon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hardly in any position to offer "expert" critique, so I wouldn't want to vie for one of the box games, but I would be more than happy to thoroughly peruse the rules and give my feedback on that at least.

Would a vassal mod be a possibility? I'm sure you could find a willing person with knowledge on creating modules. It would make it a lot easier to get a larger playtest pool at pretty much no cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lee
United Kingdom
Wymondham
Norfolk
flag msg tools
designer
thanks everyone for all your interest and encouragement

as some of you know Fighting for Virginia is now registered on the BGG site. Can I post the rules on that site does anyone know, as it would save people having to ask me. Also I guess people can start leaving their comments on the game and rules on that page too, is that how it works? boxes have been sent out and most have arrived safely after their long journeys! Must say it's a nice feeling just to know that the game is being played in the US especially and not just at my local friends and family.
Someone is looking into the vassal idea with me, that's all new to me, still trying to get my head around it.I hope the expert game testing comes back as positive as the initial comments about the rules, all quite exciting really,

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wert
United States
Corydon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lambert4x wrote:
thanks everyone for all your interest and encouragement

as some of you know Fighting for Virginia is now registered on the BGG site. Can I post the rules on that site does anyone know, as it would save people having to ask me. Also I guess people can start leaving their comments on the game and rules on that page too, is that how it works? boxes have been sent out and most have arrived safely after their long journeys! Must say it's a nice feeling just to know that the game is being played in the US especially and not just at my local friends and family.
Someone is looking into the vassal idea with me, that's all new to me, still trying to get my head around it.I hope the expert game testing comes back as positive as the initial comments about the rules, all quite exciting really,

Rob

If you're the creator, which of course you are, you can most certainly post the rules on the game's page. Just go down to the "Files" section and upload it. Definitely a more convenient way to get it out to people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/114027/fighting-for-v...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Fischer

Leavenworth
Kansas
msg tools
Please send me the rules, I'll take a look.
Thanks,
Rev. Mark Fischer
I have spent a good portion of my life walking the battlefields of Virginia!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PastorMark wrote:
I have spent a good portion of my life walking the battlefields of Virginia!

I can't tell if I find that depressing or touching, but either way, I applaud you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lee
United Kingdom
Wymondham
Norfolk
flag msg tools
designer
i've walked the hallowed ground 3-4 times myself and am planning to go to Antietam (I know it's not in Virginia but still!!!) next September.
I've been collecting civil war books since I was 12 years old and have now got quite a collection of books, maps and stuff.

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.