GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,385 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Defenders of the Realm» Forums » General

Subject: Scenario - Rising From The Ashes to be Posted Soon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

All, as I have stated in the past I like to post support materials for my games and when we wrapped up the Summer League Scenarios I had an idea for one final chapter that I will be posting within the next week - Rising From The Ashes. This scenario can be played by anyone; you need not have played the Summer League Chapters. Additionally, there are no special cards or tokens required to play this Scenario, which several of you may appreciate.

This Scenario represents a bonus Chapter to the Summer League as a "What If?" Monarch City had fallen in that last battle. The (yet to be fully edited) introduction to this scenario is below:

Rising From the Ashes

"Monarch City has fallen." The statement from the Rogue was emotionless; simply a fact shared with the ragged and wounded warriors that had fled to the Inn for a brief reprieve in a lost war. Everyone knew that with Monarch City falling under the control of the Dark Lord’s forces, the war and the realm was lost.

"Then there’s nothing left to do but to flee - perhaps seek refuge in Troll country" suggested the Ranger, but his statement lacked any true conviction. Even the Ranger knew that Skarr, the Troll Chieftain, was leaning toward pledging allegiance to the Dark Lord and the fall of Monarch City would most likely finalize that alliance. The only one to respond was the Dwarf, boldly rising from his stool, slamming his drained mug of ale hard against the table and loudly grumbling, "Ye can do as ye like woodsman, but I intend to go down with fresh blood on my axe!" and then he staggered backward, tripped over his own muddy boots and slumped to the floor in a drunken stupor. Despair hung heavy in the room.

"It is not over..." a solemn voice cut through silence of the battered and ragged crowd. Although no one saw him enter the Inn, everyone knew the Wizard had joined them. Stepping from the shadows, the Wizard lowered his dark hood to expose a battered, yet wise, face. He walked to the center of the room, the crowd parting to let him pass and all eyes were expectantly drawn to him, all except the Dwarf anyway.

"I have been inside Monarch City and discovered that the protective magic Amarak imbued into the castle, although weakening quickly, is still active and prohibits the Dark Lord from entrance. This magical gift from Amarak grants us a tiny window of time to reclaim Monarch City by defeating the Dark Lord's Generals and seizing control of the capital before the protective magic is extinguished allowing the Dark Lord entrance into the City." As he completed the statement, the Wizard smiled and it was the first sign of hope any of the warriors had seen in weeks.

The Paladin, always the optimist, pulled his sword and boldly announced, "Then let us be off. It shouldn’t be all that difficult to defeat the remaining Generals for Gorgutt and Varkolak have already been sent to hell by our blades!"

The smile on the face of the Wizard faded at these words and with all eyes upon him, the old man walked over to the Paladin and placed a fatherly hand on his shoulder and shook his head in warning. "That is not so brave warrior, for I have seen all four Generals in Monarch City, even Gorgutt and Varkolak, with my own eyes. The four Generals of the Dark Lord live."

"But how can that be?!" exclaimed the Paladin. "It was my sword that put Gorgutt down - there was no doubt that he perished in the Battle of Orc Valley. And you, Wizard, it was by the power of your magic that the Champion of the Undead returned to the grave. How is it that they now live?"

"I have no doubt that powerful, and very dark, magic restored life to our enemies" responded the Wizard, and despair once again chilled the warriors. Moving back to the center of the group, the Wizard looked into the faces of those brave warriors gathered around him and in a voice so low it was almost a whisper added, "A magic like that surely drained a great amount of strength from the Dark Lord. So much so that it may be the event that has bought us this short reprieve by making him too weak to overcome the protective spell that Amarak put on the King's Castle in Monarch City. This overconfident mistake by the Dark Lord is our opportunity to rise from the ashes. So let us use this time well to move quickly and recapture Monarch City, but at the same time I caution each of you to act with care for by now the Dark Lord will know we are not totally defeated and will have his Generals hunting for us. Now that they possess Monarch City, the Generals will not be passively sitting back commanding their armies from the rear, but rather will be actively seeking to put an end to us. So go with care for we are the realm's last hope, and there are far too few of us remaining. Oh, and one more thing - take care to heal the land when possible for as it weakens and becomes more corrupted, it breaks down the protective magic in the castle walls. Should Amarak’s magic extinguish, the Dark Lord, even in his weakened state, will surely move into Monarch City. Should that happen, our lives, our realm, and the time of elf, dwarf, and man will be at an end."

As stated earlier this Scenario will be posted in the next week. I hope you all enjoy it.

Thanks for defending the realm - Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Launius wrote:
As stated earlier this Scenario will be posted in the next week. I hope you all enjoy it.

Yer such a tease!

Thanks Richard, keep up the great work!

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Richie!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

The scenario Rising from the Ashes has completed play testing and will be posted to BBG Files tomorrow. I suspect that it will take 2 - 4 days to post. Hope you all enjoy it.

Thanks - Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.