GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,937 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Intro War Game Recommendation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Delesdernier
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello BGG,
I finally moved back into town close to a friend who introduced me to Axis & Allies in college. This would be great except for the fact that we're pretty busy nowadays to section off multiple hours at a pop to play A&A considering that he has two little ones and we're both consistently busy with our jobs. While there are plenty of options available out there. I thought I might open this up for discussion before I make a decision.

The truth is it would be much easier to find something that plays with 2, has a pretty easy rule set with smooth rules for people who are interested in games in general -- and war games in particular -- but have never played anything in the hex & counter or block game genre. Particularly because we've never ventured into the more conventional categories of war games, I'm looking for something with a little bit lower learning curve (rules, not depth. In fact, the more depth, the better.) The Victory Point Games selection seems like it is particularly tailored to newer/time-starved war gamers, but I'm definitely open to any ideas.
I've played a number of the States of Siege games before and have enjoyed most of them. My friend has had a little trouble getting into them just with having two young children at home, so I'm hoping something that I can ease him into may have a little more success.

Really looking for:
1 hr play time - flexible
WW2 preferred but not mandatory

Potential Ideas:
Napoleonic 20 Series
Quebec 1759
2 de Mayo
Assault of Sevastopol
War of 1812
Battle for Moscow

Nothing against A&A, but it'll be nice to be out of the shadow of a monster game that lends itself to plenty of rule arguments and a decent time commitment. I'm leaning toward Quebec 1759 and Battle for Moscow to delve into these two genres; but like I said, I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks

p.s. -- I've looked at Strike Force One for an intro and am wondering if it's worth getting or if moving directly onto something with a little more meat would be a better starting point. It seems a little like first gear in a manual transmission car, nice to have but not always needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle for Moscow gets my vote. It has been considered great intro game for many years now. Each side plays differently and learns different things while at the same time learning all the basics.

Top notch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Casarrubios
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 is your game. Plays in 1 hour or less, has a very low complexity but the more you play it, the more you see the subtlety of its gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogre's a pretty classic light gateway. Latest incarnation is a deluxe set, though.

EDIT: Whoops! Forgot WW2. Uh... I enjoyed Tide of Iron, but it's not exactly gateway. The website intro scenarios aren't difficult, tho!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nations at War: White Star Rising.

It's a company level WWII game. Only 8 pages of rules, and most of the scenarios are a limited number of turns, so play time runs about an hour.
A great entry-level war game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delesdernier
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrogdog wrote:
Battle for Moscow gets my vote. It has been considered great intro game for many years now. Each side plays differently and learns different things while at the same time learning all the basics.

Top notch.

Betote wrote:
Memoir '44 is your game. Plays in 1 hour or less, has a very low complexity but the more you play it, the more you see the subtlety of its gameplay.

Thanks for the vote on Battle of Moscow. I'm thinking that may be the best start to get into this line of gaming.

Memoir '44 would work as well -- and is actually very high up on my wish list at the moment -- but I'm not quite ready to jump into Memoir '44 just yet, especially considering the numerous expansions that I would be sure to buy if we liked the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Dust Tactics.
It is a Miniatures Wargame set in an alternate WWII.
Beautiful Models and a really Fun Game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mdelesd1 wrote:
Thanks for the vote on Battle of Moscow. I'm thinking that may be the best start to get into this line of gaming.

My pleasure. While the other games mentioned may be easy learn and play, if your goal is to learn the basics of traditional hex and counter wargames, then in my opinion you could not make a better choice,

If you have 15 minutes or so watch this video.

I rest my case. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I recommend you get Strike Force One, Battle for Moscow, and Assault on Sevastapol all from VPG. You will only pay shipping once and you will get three solid, small, solo-able, fun, and different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delesdernier
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ross826 wrote:
I recommend you get Strike Force One, Battle for Moscow, and Assault on Sevastapol all from VPG. You will only pay shipping once and you will get three solid, small, solo-able, fun, and different games.

This is probably the best idea. These weren't as much as I thought they'd be and it does give a little variety to start off. Still, they all seem to be one side on the heavy attack and the other in a staunch defense. Is there anything intro-like that gives both sides a bit of offensive firepower?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delesdernier
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Ogre's a pretty classic light gateway. Latest incarnation is a deluxe set, though.

This actually looks like a pretty interesting game. The fact that it's been around for a while is also another plus. Is SJGames the only place to get it?

It still seems a little out of the realm I'm looking for right now, if only because it's a little futuristic; but, it's definitely one to put on the list if some of the others work out well. Thanks for the Recommendation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delesdernier
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dogzard wrote:
Nations at War: White Star Rising.

It's a company level WWII game. Only 8 pages of rules, and most of the scenarios are a limited number of turns, so play time runs about an hour.
A great entry-level war game.

Not particularly sold on this. From what I've seen, there seem to be better places to wade into the vast waters of wargaming. I do appreciate the recommendation and will definitely keep my eye on lock 'n load games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would second Memoir. It is quite playable right out of the box, no expansions needed. Also, there are a ton of scenarios posted on the Days of Wonder website for free to add to the experience. It's easily replayable, and is fast enough to play several sessions in an evening.

Once you've gotten your partner past that, I would highly recommend Conflict of Heroes as the next step. It plays in about two hours or so usually, and is gorgeous, fast-moving, and fun to play.

Good luck!

Jacovis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the definitive Geeklist of starter wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delesdernier
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Here's the definitive Geeklist of starter wargames.

Ha! Pretty sure I've seen this list before and got many of the ideas for games I mentioned earlier from this list. For anyone who hasn't seen this list and is looking for intro games, it is a wonderful resource. Many of the games are not what I'm looking for, but there are plenty that I'd either forgotten about or had never seen before. Excellent list, thanks for moving my search in that direction!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Manoeuvre and Sekigahara. Both are excellent games.

Manoeuvre may not seem to have alot of depth, but I believe it has more than first appears. It is easy to learn.

Sekigahara is an excellent block game. Again easy to learn. I think this game has some great mechanics that work well together. (Fog of War with the impact combat) This makes for a fun game with alot of strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.