GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,308 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Star Trek HeroClix: Tactics» Forums » General

Subject: Questions about starters/boosters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Mirkes
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Papa was a rollin' stone...
mbmbmbmbmb
Will these be "blind buy" starters and boosters?

Any ideas what the price point will be for both starters and boosters?

What will the rarity scheme look like?

Any early estimates as to how many starters/boosters needed to get a full set? (Wondering how even distribution will be...)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Monson
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
For over 40 years I've been enjoying gaming with great people.
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I can tell in the press releases:

1. The starter is fixed and you can see the ships. Price maybe $20-$30? (Total guess based on Heroclix Starters)
According to the sell sheet it includes: 4 ships, dice, rules, and 2 maps.

2. Boosters are one ship, blind purchase. No idea on price (could be $3-?)

3. Rarity - no idea yet.

4. The initial set is only 28 ships (Klingons and Federation). So it shouldn't be hard to collect - I hope.

As an avid Heroclix Player and gamer in general:
I think it could be a total blast. I've played games like Star Fleet Battles (1981), StarFire, Silent Death, etc. Dealing with the paper sheets to track stats has always been a down side to those games. With the dial they should be able to keep all the information on a dial. If that's the case, then I'm really excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Argo
United States
Durant
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Similarly, do you think the boosters will be Klingon and Federation only, or will they feature other ships? I'm hoping for some Dominion and Ferengi ships, if not in the initial release, in an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mirkes
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Papa was a rollin' stone...
mbmbmbmbmb
EasyPickens wrote:
1. The starter is fixed and you can see the ships.

I couldn't quite tell from the sell sheet, as it's not a photo, but an illustration. Is that how HeroClix starters were, as well? If so, then that would make sense.

EasyPickens wrote:
2. Boosters are one ship, blind purchase. No idea on price (could be $3-?)

Ugh. I think if the final minis end up looking like the computer renders, I'd much rather fork over a bit more money to buy fixed sets to get them all. They look great, but I don't want to get stuck with yet another collectible game where I have piles of crappy commons that never see play. I'll reserve judgment until I see more, but this will be a sticking point for me...

EasyPickens wrote:
4. The initial set is only 28 ships (Klingons and Federation). So it shouldn't be hard to collect - I hope.

Well, 28 ships, but if they follow the rarity scheme from the other Clix games, you'll have 3 of each ship (one in each rarity/quality) and possibly 1 of each as a unique ship (promo or ultra-rare). If so, suddenly you don't have 28 ships to collect, but at least 84, not counting unique ships, which would take the total to 112 different ships to collect. If that's the case, I'll just buy a couple starters and fight my urge to collect a full set; I've never liked that rarity scheme.

[EDIT to add] Although on further reflection, given the single ship per booster scheme, it seems unlikely they're going to force you to buy such ridiculous quantities of single-ship boosters to get a full 112 ship set. So I'd lean toward 28 as the overall number, although I'll still be curious to see if that means there are the 8 depicted ships in 3 or 4 rarities (or some similar setup), or 28 unique ships.

EasyPickens wrote:
I think it could be a total blast. I've played games like Star Fleet Battles (1981), StarFire, Silent Death, etc. Dealing with the paper sheets to track stats has always been a down side to those games. With the dial they should be able to keep all the information on a dial. If that's the case, then I'm really excited.

I agree. I'll be curious how they handle things like firing arcs, 3D movement (if they bother), and system damage. These are kind of integral to space combat, and their games so far have not had to deal with inconsistent aspects like critical hits. I'm skeptical that it will retain the tactical depth and options that are in games like Star Trek Tactical Combat Simulator or Silent Death, but it's almost guaranteed to be faster play and easier tracking. Maybe more on par with Battleship Galaxies?

erasercrumbs wrote:
Similarly, do you think the boosters will be Klingon and Federation only, or will they feature other ships? I'm hoping for some Dominion and Ferengi ships, if not in the initial release, in an expansion.

As Rick said above, Feds and Klingons only in the first set. But I agree: the Dominion pretty much needs a set of its own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Monson
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erasercrumbs:

Take everything with a grain of salt (its based on my Heroclix experiences).

Based on their sell sheet, the initial set is only Federation and Klingon. Depending on how it does, the game may or may not get expansions. Based in timing in Heroclix production, I'm guessing that they may have 1 expansion planned - but I couldn't tell you what is in it.

Right now the game isn't scheduled for release until Feb 2012 - and typically with WizKids the dates slip a bit. So I wouldn't expect it until maybe March.

Just my thoughts on this thing,
Rick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Monson
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tlmirkes wrote:
Is that how HeroClix starters were, as well? If so, then that would make sense.

Yes, the starters for Heroclix have traditionally been fixed. For about the past year or so, they have been that clear bubble package format. Here is a picture of one of their earlier starters

tlmirkes wrote:
Ugh. I think if the final minis end up looking like the computer renders, I'd much rather fork over a bit more money to buy fixed sets to get them all. They look great, but I don't want to get stuck with yet another collectible game where I have piles of crappy commons that never see play. I'll reserve judgment until I see more, but this will be a sticking point for me...

Before you buy, we need to know how the game plays. Then we can evaluate if it worth the cost. I agree with you about the "collectible" aspect being a big negative. Lately with Heroclix I just buy the singles I want - maybe a few boosters. Singles are a solid possibility if it is popular enough to warrant the inventory.

tlmirkes wrote:
Well, 28 ships, but if they follow the rarity scheme from the other Clix games, you'll have 3 of each ship (one in each rarity/quality) and possibly 1 of each as a unique ship (promo or ultra-rare). If so, suddenly you don't have 28 ships to collect, but at least 84, not counting unique ships, which would take the total to 112 different ships to collect. If that's the case, I'll just buy a couple starters and fight my urge to collect a full set; I've never liked that rarity scheme.

[EDIT to add] Although on further reflection, given the single ship per booster scheme, it seems unlikely they're going to force you to buy such ridiculous quantities of single-ship boosters to get a full 112 ship set. So I'd lean toward 28 as the overall number, although I'll still be curious to see if that means there are the 8 depicted ships in 3 or 4 rarities (or some similar setup), or 28 unique ships.

The older sets of Heroclix included three different experience levels for each of the characters in the set. The last few sets are typically one copy of the character, although if there is a major difference they may duplicate them. Also the latest sets are reusing the same sculpt for different characters (always new dials) - not as bad with ships built from the same class.

tlmirkes wrote:
EasyPickens wrote:

I agree. I'll be curious how they handle things like firing arcs, 3D movement (if they bother), and system damage. These are kind of integral to space combat, and their games so far have not had to deal with inconsistent aspects like critical hits. I'm skeptical that it will retain the tactical depth and options that are in games like Star Trek Tactical Combat Simulator or Silent Death, but it's almost guaranteed to be faster play and easier tracking. Maybe more on par with Battleship Galaxies?

erasercrumbs wrote:

As Rick said above, Feds and Klingons only in the first set. But I agree: the Dominion pretty much needs a set of its own.

I'm really hoping for a solid game with good bits, but we will have to just wait and see. The game may be closer to Battleship Galaxies - and I would love to see some ships from the Dominion or Ferengi or Romulan or Borg or etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Monson
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One other thought!

The sell sheet says "28 different ships" not "28 different sculpts"

So I'm guessing that this game will use the same sculpts as Star Trek: Fleet Captains. New dials, but same Sculpts.

We will have to wait and see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Fleck
United States
Forks
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My question is whether we could take these and use them for the Fleet Captains -- a game I am trying to talk myself out of buying for Christmas as a gift from Santa.... whistle

Or could we use the ships from fleet captains here...but you would hav track things on paper...never mind on that one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Westblade
Australia
Sebastopol
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ritterton wrote:
My question is whether we could take these and use them for the Fleet Captains -- a game I am trying to talk myself out of buying for Christmas as a gift from Santa.... :whistle:

Or could we use the ships from fleet captains here...but you would hav track things on paper...never mind on that one...

I think you definitely could but you'd have to swap the dials. Be an easy way to get painted ships for Fleet Captains though, and swapping the dials should be quite simple to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WakandaMan wrote:
Ritterton wrote:
My question is whether we could take these and use them for the Fleet Captains -- a game I am trying to talk myself out of buying for Christmas as a gift from Santa.... :whistle:

I think you definitely could but you'd have to swap the dials. Be an easy way to get painted ships for Fleet Captains though, and swapping the dials should be quite simple to do.

I also think this should work. Maybe you should first check if _all_ the ships from FC are in STHC:T, if you don't want to mix painted and unpainted ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Forhan
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
MiniatureMarket.com has the starter and boosters up for pre-order...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.