GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,928 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Super Dungeon Explore» Forums » General

Subject: Assembling the miniatures questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tuomas the necromancer
msg tools
Greetings more experienced miniature assemblers, I would ask which gamesworkshop glue I should use for SDE?

This (superglue): http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?...

OR

this (plastic glue): http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?...

Also I'm pondering how hot the water should be if I need to straighten some bits so they'll fit?

- Cheers, hoping that I'll get my box this week so I can start my job as the evil consul >

// first post in BBG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Buchsdrucker
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The plastic glue will be stronger for these minis. The super glue is more for metal models.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Byrns wrote:
The plastic glue will be stronger for these minis. The super glue is more for metal models.

Maybe not. It depends on the composition of the plastic. I thought that super glue was recommended by the manufacturer?

I just used cheap super glue that I got at the grocery store. Normally I wouldn't use it because the tubes don't keep, but I used an a tube and a half. (These were the small Loctite tubes that come two to a package.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would skip both and get Loctite brand GEL super glue. I have been gluing miniatures for over 20 years, and have used almost every glue on the market. Loctite brand GEL super glue is my 100% go to glue for the last couple of years, and I will never go back. It's cheaper, easier to find, and works as good, or better, than any other brand on the market for these applications.

No matter what you go with, I highly recommend cleaning the minis first with soapy water to remove the mold release chemicals, and then let them dry completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornbread46 wrote:
I would skip both and get Loctite brand GEL super glue. I have been gluing miniatures for over 20 years, and have used almost every glue on the market. Loctite brand GEL super glue is my 100% go to glue for the last couple of years, and I will never go back. It's cheaper, easier to find, and works as good, or better, than any other brand on the market for these applications.

No matter what you go with, I highly recommend cleaning the minis first with soapy water to remove the mold release chemicals, and then let them dry completely.

I've been using Loctite Gel for my Warmachine, Hordes, and Malifaux minis and it is GREAT! Because these snap into place easily I used the cheaper glue to save a couple of bucks (and I had the glue already for home use).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornbread46 wrote:

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as plastic bending...get the water about a hot as you can stand to have your fingers touch it. (I like to just run a mug of plain water through my coffee maker and that gets it JUST about as hot as I can stand to touch without burning myself) After a minute or two, it should soften up enough to CAREFULLY tweak into place. After you get it where you want it, run it under the cold water faucet for a bit and it should stiffen back up nicely.

Try to hold it somewhere that doesn't go in the water, and try to minimize how much of the model gets hot in the water. If it gets too pliable, your fingers or gripping tools could accidentally bend or squish parts you don't intend to change. Take small steps, and keep trying a little at a time. You can always warm it up more and bend it more...it's much harder to "unbend" something that got too hot and lost details from over bending.

(P.S. I forgot to mention in my other post....Welcome to BGG!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
Why would you buy super glue from GW?!?

You can get the mentioned Loctite Super Glue at your local Walmart/Craft store, and it will only cost $2-3, as opposed to the $6.60 that GW is wanting to charge. I will say right now with 100% assurance - the price difference has nothing to do with a quality difference...you are paying for the GW brand, and that is it.

GW does it with EVERYTHING they sell, from miniatures to hobby supplies. There is almost nothing I would intentionally buy from GW if I could get a similar product from another source, because 9 times out of 10, GW is going to be charging considerably more for the same product.

edit: Welcome to BGG. Do yourself a favor - don't get too wrapped up in the GW hype machine, your money will go MUCH further with other vendors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas the necromancer
msg tools
I'm buying GW products simply because they're quite familiar to me and spending extra 1-3e doesn't hurt that much. I just checked that other glue which folks mentioned and our local ''craft shop'' didn't seem to have in stock.

I assume the GW glue will do it's job if I clean the parts first with water and some soap?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nekrah wrote:
local ''craft shop'' didn't seem to have in stock.

You could try a pharmacy, grocery store, hardware store, DIY big box store, gas station... two of the bonus reasons it is a better option are the ability and cost.

I will still recommend a GEL style super glue. It goes where you want it, and usually stays there. The liquid stuff can get really messy...really easily, and can ruin some of the fine detail on this minis. That GW plastic glue is more formulated for styrene plastics and will not work very well with these types of plastics. And their super glue has a brush applicator which will cause you problems with these minis.

To second another post, anything GW makes will cost twice as much as anything else, and not really work any better. Save your money and buy cheaper brands, save your sanity by using a fast drying super glue, and save your minis and your fingers by buying the GEL style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevis Marlar
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
You know, the thing that I have not read anyone mentioning is "kicker". A spray liquid that speeds the adhesion of super glue. I am using Wal-Mart's loctite super glue - the squeezy things on the sides of the bottle that help you conrol the glue flow are awesome - and some "INSTA-SET" accelerator from my favoritle local gaming store. The hot water soak is a great idea I got from these pages. The models with their little insertion points and character are fun to put together.
You do have to be careful with kicker, though, When you use it, it makes the second chance adjust, or "oops, pull away and re-insert/attach" window very small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree about the kicker being helpful, though I also avoid it as much as possible with plastics, since I had some bad experience where it "sprayed" some glue onto areas I didn't want covered, and it melted some details. I use it only for metal now, but that might just be me being gun shy about ruining something again. This was before I started using gel glue, so that may have been a factor.

The SDE minis DO slot together very well, and I don;t see needing any sort of kicker, since probably 80% of the connections stay in place while the glue sets up without any "holding" needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornbread46 wrote:
I would skip both and get Loctite brand GEL super glue. I have been gluing miniatures for over 20 years, and have used almost every glue on the market. Loctite brand GEL super glue is my 100% go to glue for the last couple of years, and I will never go back. It's cheaper, easier to find, and works as good, or better, than any other brand on the market for these applications.icals, and then let them dry completely.

Listen to this man and avoid buying GW glues, brushes, and tools. You'll find superior products cheaper in any craft and hobby store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornbread46 wrote:
The SDE minis DO slot together very well, and I don;t see needing any sort of kicker, since probably 80% of the connections stay in place while the glue sets up without any "holding" needed.

I needed the kicker for the dragon hand on the stone (it's right hand, I believe) because I applied a little too much glue and it wasn't setting. Other than that I can't imagine needing it for any of the other minis.

You can get Loctite almost anywhere. About a month ago, Staples had the gel for $2 a bottle. I found a heavy duty gel at Wal-mart (in the paint section) a while back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
nekrah wrote:
I'm buying GW products simply because they're quite familiar to me and spending extra 1-3e doesn't hurt that much.

Familiarity is often a strong form of persuasion...but unless you shop around every now and again, how can you be sure you are getting the best product and value for your money? Honestly, you can find Loctite Super Glue just about anywhere. Even if you had to order it off the internet, it would still be cheaper than GW super glue.

I used to drink the "GW Kool-aid" when I was new to miniature gaming...most people do when they first get into the hobby. I've since made the transition to other vendors and companies...and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made in this hobby. I was getting sick of getting gouged by GW with every purchase I made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McFarland
United States
Shelton
Washington
flag msg tools
Bobby4th wrote:
Cornbread46 wrote:

I needed the kicker for the dragon hand on the stone (it's right hand, I believe) because I applied a little too much glue and it wasn't setting. Other than that I can't imagine needing it for any of the other minis.

You can get Loctite almost anywhere. About a month ago, Staples had the gel for $2 a bottle. I found a heavy duty gel at Wal-mart (in the paint section) a while back.

Loctite is good stuff, definitely recommend it. I don't like kicker, only because it sets ultra fast, but can also weaken the bond as well. A couple small drops of water can actually do the job that most kickers do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nekrah wrote:
I'm buying GW products simply because they're quite familiar to me and spending extra 1-3e doesn't hurt that much. I just checked that other glue which folks mentioned and our local ''craft shop'' didn't seem to have in stock.

I assume the GW glue will do it's job if I clean the parts first with water and some soap?

You can get loctite gel at Walmart or Target. It's cheaper and better than GW glue. Trust me, break your circle of comfort w this one. You'll thank me later.

And your welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW: I did try a couple of tests on these minis with a plastic solvent glue. Nothing. Doesn't work. Superglue is the only way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas the necromancer
msg tools
Thanks for the answers, my lfgs had a little mistake so I got only my Candy&Cola but not the main box last week Well perhaps this week. But I went ahead and searched for the glue you all mentioned and I found this from nearby store:

http://www.taitaville.fi/@Bin/177905/Loctite.jpg

Did I buy the right stuff ?

By the way, that thing costed amazing 7e, even GW glue is cheaper in here (6.2e), but it could be simply 'cause I bought it from Anttila (Finnish shop which tends to sell a little bit of everything - and I was lazy/in a hurry so I didn't bother to search from other places modest)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is not the stuff I use. I am not familiar with the "FLEX GEL" variety.

I worry about that "flex" part of the title, and what it might refer to. I can't read the packaging well enough to see if that implies that the glue is still "bendy" after it dries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.