GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,471 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Flash Point: Fire Rescue» Forums » Rules

Subject: does shockwave continue after destroying walls/doors? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more question - I want to make sure I'm understanding shockwaves correctly.

I know that when a shockwave reaches a damaged/closed wall/door, it destroys it. Does it then continue through the destroyed wall? Or is destroying the wall the last effect of the shockwave?

Thanks much! First run-through is planned for this evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
An explosion/shockwave either 1) adds a fire, 2) adds a damage counter or 3) removes a closed door marker in each direction but not both (or all three).

An explosion/shockwave can remove an open door marker and 1) add fire, 2) add a damage counter or 3) remove a closed door marker.

So a shockwave that adds the second damage marker to destroy a wall does not also add a fire beyond that newly destroyed wall.

A shockwave can continue beyond an already destroyed wall and add a fire marker. Once destroyed a wall ceases to have any effect in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much!

Your answer looks to me like a copy-paste - I get the feeling I've seen it before. blush

Thanks for your patience! Very excited for my first game.

Deb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, during our first game we misunderstood the adjacency rules and didn't realize that walls and doors blocked adjacency so we were adding fires and damaging the walls, figuring the expansion of the fire is what caused the damage.

Strangely, we won that game and haven't won any since we started playing correctly. Of course, in our first game, we had forgotten to place additional hot spots after a flare up for over half the game, so that might have had something to do with it too...

When we started getting used to shockwaves, we figured we might be doing something wrong and a closer reading of the rules revealed that no additional fire should have been placed if the explosion already damaged the wall or door in that direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understood it correctly the first time I read the rules - then I kept focusing on the statement "A Shockwave travels through Destroyed Walls" and doubting myself. Should have gone with the gut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Russo
United States
Lansdale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
T Worthington wrote:
An explosion/shockwave can remove an open door marker and 1) add fire, 2) add a damage counter or 3) remove a closed door marker.

Wait, so an open door gets destroyed too? I figured the fire just goes through open doors as if there wasn't anything there.

EDIT:

Ah nevermind I found it in the rules, "If a Shockwave travels through an Open Door, remove that Door marker from the board, the door has been destroyed." Damn, I guess that means closing doors is only good for stopping flashovers and not explosions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
el_chupacabra wrote:
T Worthington wrote:

Wait, so an open door gets destroyed too? I figured the fire just goes through open doors as if there wasn't anything there.

EDIT:

Ah nevermind I found it in the rules, "If a Shockwave travels through an Open Door, remove that Door marker from the board, the door has been destroyed." Damn, I guess that means closing doors is only good for stopping flashovers and not explosions.

It stops explosions at the door and no more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Zellman
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
What happens to the permanently open doors on the exterior of the house when adjacent to an explosion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Payne
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no door to close or destroy, so they continue to be permanently open as you said. The shockwave passes through it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lanzing
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A good rule of thumb is: shockwaves spread in four directions, each shockwave will hit SOMETHING before it dissipates, and each shockwave will stop after having done something. Each shockwave might spread fire, damage walls, destroy doors, or fireball into the street. If one of these things doesn't happen, you're doing something wrong. If more than one of these things happens, you're doing something wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That rule holds great except that an open door is destroyed and the shockwave still spreads fire. That exception is the only case where more than one of those things can happen in a single direction, and it is a rule that seems to be often forgotten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.