GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,211 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
107 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Dominant Species» Forums » General

Subject: New Art? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A L
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently GMT has bowed to the screeching masses and the new edition will come with new artwork.

Why does a game with perfectly charming artwork get re-worked whereas a grotesque abomination that looks like it was assembled entirely from MS Word'97 clipart is allowed to go unmolested?

I'm looking at you Urban Sprawl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
Apparently GMT has bowed to the screeching masses and the new edition will come with new artwork.

Why does a game with perfectly charming artwork get re-worked whereas a grotesque abomination that looks like it was assembled entirely from MS Word'97 clipart is allowed to go unmolested?

I'm looking at you Urban Sprawl.

Do you even know what the new artwork will look like?

And why you hatin' on Urban Sprawl. It's artwork is just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What new edition and what new art? Reference? Both are news to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
What new edition and what new art? Reference? Both are news to me.
From the P500 email just sent by GMT. No more details other than a date (March 2012).

I'm sure Chad will fill us in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:

All I'm saying is that when I showed the board to my dog he urinated on the floor and then ran and hid under the table where he remained - mewling, shaking and trying frantically to protect his genitals for several hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
Malacandra wrote:

All I'm saying is that when I showed the board to my dog he urinated on the floor and then ran and hid under the table where he remained - mewling, shaking and trying frantically to protect his genitals for several hours.

Hater. angry Well, your dog is anyway. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMT Games
United States
Hanford
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We'll have a P500 item up for this within a few weeks, guys. We're just waiting on the new art to finish up so we can show some of it in the P500 writeup.

This won't be a "has to make the cut" item - it is going to the printer very soon - once all the art is ready. So the P500 will just be to give folks a discount.

Gene
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, I just picked up a copy of the game. Perhaps I should have waited...

Is it just the board art that is planning on changing, or are they planning to change out the components as well? Frankly, I am not too bothered with the current artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I purchased the thicker tiles when they were offered, personally I love the artwork of Dominant Species.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
Malacandra wrote:

You think that's bad, wait till he plays it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
SANTA ROSA
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:

No, offense, Chad, but that doesn't look like an Amphibian at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
SANTA ROSA
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hollywood makeup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:
Hollywood makeup.

Oh, I see it now. It's a Reptile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm glad I got my copy when I did. Dominant Species is one of the stand-out games in my collection for its visual design. I consider the use of softer tones to be (somewhat paradoxically) a fairly bold and striking move for an industry that thrives on everything being super-bright.

I hope the new art design can placate some of the haters, but you will have to pry my 2nd ed. copy from my cold, dead hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Sager
United States
Sebastopol
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
Well, I'm glad I got my copy when I did. Dominant Species is one of the stand-out games in my collection for its visual design. I consider the use of softer tones to be (somewhat paradoxically) a fairly bold and striking move for an industry that thrives on everything being super-bright.

I hope the new art design can placate some of the haters, but you will have to pry my 2nd ed. copy from my cold, dead hands.

Agreed. I love the art of my 2nd edition copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snappy Dan
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RequiemX wrote:
paralipsis wrote:

Agreed. I love the art of my 2nd edition copy.

How does one distinguish a 1st edition from a 2nd edition without opening the box? And what are the differences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

These are the new images for reptiles, mammals, Gloop, Gleep, and amphibians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
SANTA ROSA
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysterio wrote:
How does one distinguish a 1st edition from a 2nd edition without opening the box? And what are the differences?

2nd edition says 2nd edition on the box, and has a 2011 copyright instead of 2010.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Chui
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be an upgrade kit for existing owners?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snappy Dan
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:
Mysterio wrote:

2nd edition says 2nd edition on the box, and has a 2011 copyright instead of 2010.

Huh...mine says '2011' on the front and back of the box, but '2nd Edition' isn't written anywhere. Now I'm really confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysterio wrote:
Huh...mine says '2011' on the front and back of the box, but '2nd Edition' isn't written anywhere. Now I'm really confused.

Your tiles will tell you which edition you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimbo Dean
United States
Syracuse
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kimball Bent wrote:
Dang, I just picked up a copy of the game. Perhaps I should have waited...

Is it just the board art that is planning on changing, or are they planning to change out the components as well? Frankly, I am not too bothered with the current artwork.

I prefer the old artwork (saw the new survival card)! Kimball you did the right thing! The original DS artwork is simplistic and fits very well as I see you agree. I'm afraid the new artwork might be too overpowering and take away from the game which is complex enough in itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LadySlipper wrote:
I'm afraid the new artwork might be too overpowering and take away from the game which is complex enough in itself.

I doubt it. They did a pretty good job designing the game originally, and I don't think they'll go overboard.

For one thing, I think the tiles could be improved. I like this variant that was posted in the images section:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank goodness! I've been waiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.