GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,032 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Replay Basketball» Forums » General

Subject: Choosing Replay over S-O-M for Dallas Maverick Replay rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Hailey
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played S-O-M Basketball from 1978 through 2000 like crazy. I was in a play-by-mail league for almost 10 years. It was my game. I picked up Replay in 2007 and like it, but have maybe played 20 games, tops. With the Mavs incredible season, I decided I had to find time for a replay of the season, at least the Mavericks' season.

I planned to use Replay Basketball for my replay, but my patience ran out waiting for the release of the new cards. S-O-M had cards available and I took the plunge. After two games, S-O-M no longer had what it takes. It felt like the 80s, maybe something about the fastbreak. I know there have been various attempts to rein in the dazzlers, but it was more than that -- the feel of the game was tepid compared to Replay. I love the rare events in Replay, but have come to respect the other elements that paint the visual of the play. I do miss the distinction between outside and penetration. I always felt that the S-O-M cards prepared me for seeing each player in person -- Atlanta Hawk, John Drew turned out to play exactly like I imagined from playing S-O-M. I look forward to seeing how well Replay accomplishes the same thing. Given that outside shots have pretty much become 3-point attempts, the system will likely portray the player well enough ... we'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Antone
United States
East Falmouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I own both Replay and SOM. Replay is a nice game and better than the old APBA basketball game, but Strat is at the top of the heap.
Strat-O-Matic 'feels' like pro basketball where as Replay is more like a game for 10 year-olds. I've played just about every sports game that's been on the market since 1967, and SOM has proven to be the most realistic, the best playability and the closest to having stats that are 'right on the money'!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.