Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Morgan Dennis
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Still learning the game so we tried a game with no magic, hiring, or plotting. I was Black Knight, two friends were Woods Girl and Amazon. We all set off into the next tile and promptly found the hoard and some trolls. While the trolls were banging on my armor WG filled them full of arrows. Result: Fame for Amazon and WG, damaged armor for me.

Next, bigger troll shows up while everybody but me is filling their pockets from the hoard. Troll manages to hit, then rip me and Amazon apart before WG scores a fatal hit. More fame for WG, new characters for me and Amazon. WG remarks how he will have to leave stuff behind because he doesn't have a horse to carry all the items we dropped when we died.

OK, maybe I'll play a straight-up axehacker. I take the White Knight and boldly head out in the direction of the (now diminished) hoard. Naturally, now the dragon shows up. WG is off selling (my) stuff, so no help there. Combat lasts two rounds, and then there are more items to be scooped up once the dragon goes back on the setup sheet at the end of the week. Game called at the end of the first week since it was already midnight.

Lessons learned: In the game you have to punch your weight. Know what you can kill. Everything else, run away. Also, it helps if Woods Girl is on your side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McKnight
United States
Needham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three-player MG games are often a lot of fun! Lots of elbow-room and treasure out there for everyone, but people to team up with as well. As you've noticed, Magic Realm can be difficult to survive without help.

Some hints: The Woods Girl and Elf can be real killers with their roll-one-die-on-the-Missile-Table advantage, but it is an absolute crap shoot. You don't know within 5 levels of damage what in the world is going to happen. Unless the Woods Girl has some suckers - er, friends - to lure the monsters and let her take multiple shots, it's usually just one shot, become unhidden, and then run away. For those of you that are good at rolling lots of "1"'s, this works out great. For the rest of us, it can be a little dreary: shoot and run, hide, move back, and shoot and run again.

Now, what I want to know is why the Black Knight didn't absolutely kick butt with the Heavy Trolls? He has his M Mace which attacks at speed=3 once it's alerted. This should undercut and hit the H Trolls. If he swings it with one of his H Fight chits to get the overswing bonus (Medium harm + one level for Fight chit that exceeds weapon weight + no sharpness stars to be reduced by Troll's armor = Heavy harm), the Black Knight should ring up one Troll every other round. Dealing with Heavy Trolls is one of the big advantages of the Black Knight over the Amazon/Captain.

The T Troll, on the other hand, is pure death for the Black Knight who can't run away while he has his H armor and can't manage a T attack. The technique with the T Troll is simple: have the Amazon or Woods Girl lure the thing and then everyone runs away like scared rabbits!

--Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Lundmark
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
As Steve said, the Heavy Trolls are about the best adversaries among the monsters for the Black Knight and brings good Fame and Notority rewards if you kill them both in the same combat. Don't forget that your M3** Fight chit (faster than the troll's maneuver speed of 4) can alert the Mace for a safe, undercutting kill of the final troll with your H6 Fight chit.

Other good monsters for the BK to find and kill are the Heavy Dragon, the Heavy Flying Dragons and the Heavy Spiders. If you can find the Reflecting Grease or if you have a pair of fast-hitting friends, killing the Axe Goblins is usually a piece of cake as well. All the other monsters are a bit dicey and all the Tremendous Monsters are off-limits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.