GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,144 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Sergeants Miniatures Game: Day of Days» Forums » Sessions

Subject: AAR: Patrol the Roads rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Tower
United States
Walpole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PFC Gapp stood shaking as he lowered his weapon, the report still echoing in the air of what was now a very quiet battlefield. The last German soldier had fallen but he felt no relief. He slowely walked over to where Sgt. East lay on the ground just to confirm what his gut already knew; the man who had saved his hide on more occasions than he could count was now dead, or KIA as the cold, sterile report he was going to have to file when he got back to HQ would say.

It all happened so fast, after a boring 2 hours of patroling with Sgt. East, PFC Stevens and Pvt. Randolf, Sgt. East signalled that he saw the enemy up ahead.

Randolf and I moved up to a farmhouse beside the road while the Sgt and Stevens took cover in a hedge. We could hear the enemy talking quickly as two of the soldiers hovered over a crate in the field. I had learned enough german to make out they had found an ammo cache and were radioing back to their HQ of their good fortune.

We waited until the enemy got closer and then Sgt. East gave the order to open fire! Randolf let loose with a couple of rifle grenades while Sgt. East threw one the old fashioned way. We heard screams of panic from the germans but their leader bravely stood up in the incoming fire and rallied his men to continue forward.

Then all hell broke loose, after exchanging very ineffective rounds of fire we all cheered when we saw their squad leader go down. Sgt. East and Stevens then charged at a lone German. I couldn't make out what was happening but when the scuffle was over both the german and Sgt. East were laying on the ground. And before Stevens could even react he took an unlucky shot that left him crumpled dead on the ground beside Sgt. East.

There were only 2 germans remaining and Pvt. Randolf was able to snap off a shot and avenge the death of our beloved Sarge. The lone german then tried to make his way back into cover, but he was wounded from Randolf's grenade attacks before and I was able to take him down before he got too far.

Randolf and I surveyed the now empty field, still not believing that we had both survived while a veteran like East had not.

As Randolf, a wide eyed 19 year old who just a few months ago had been his high school's star third baseman, looked to me for guidance on what we should do know. I took a deep breath and prayed I could be half the leader that Sgt. East was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Miner
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done! One of the best AAR,s ive ever had the pleasure to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tower
United States
Walpole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Will! The game lends itself to this sort of narrative and is a blast to play after you learn the rules. Even though this game lasted over an hour I imagined it would really have been a brief fire fight that would be over in just minutes.

EDIT: The story was from the perspective of PFC Gapp, realized I started by naming Stevens who was eventually killed. Hard to write a report from the grave!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
billingspike wrote:
Well done! One of the best AAR,s ive ever had the pleasure to read.

Gotta agree!

Kept my attention all the way to the bitter end. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tower
United States
Walpole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks David! Hopefully I'll get to do some more AAR's soon. See how the story of PFC Gapp unfolds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Ambush!
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup Great Job! First person perspective instead of omniscient is definitely the way to go for greater emotional impact in AAR's.

(The stories SMG provides are going to be the reason why layers of dust will start collecting on all my 'lesser' games.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tower
United States
Walpole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Brian! I'm in the middle of moving this month so I might not get another AAR in for awhile, but I'd like to do a series of reports from PFC Gapp's perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.