GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,534 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Secret Santa - Concerned... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Cook
United Kingdom
Burton on Trent
Staffs
flag msg tools
badge
I'd agree with everything you were saying, if only you were right...
mbmbmbmbmb
So I get my SS target. I ask the BGG community for advice on where to shop. I select the number one game from my targets wishlist, pay for shipping and gift-wrapping and wait....

Today I went onto my target's wishlist again. Only to find that their previously wish-listed number one game, is no longer on their wishlist. Great, I think - they've received it

Except..... they haven't received it. They don't list it as owned, nor do they post to the Geeklist. I've tried "santa-mailing" them through the Santa account, but without success - though I concede this may be due to language difficulties.

I'm now worrying they've changed their mind about their previously listed top-of-the-wishlist game and are going to be sorely disappointed when they open their gift.

Not a lot I can do about it, but frustrating all the same
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost as awesome as hunting down a copy of their most wanted OOP expensive game. Wrapping it. Baking cookies, packing it all up, with tons of love. Mailing it off.

Then seeing it in the market place for less than I paid for it.

=-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, it's on them. Once you know Secret Santa season is here, you should clean up your wishlist and avoid buying things on it. If you know/think you will be getting stuff from other sources, pull it off your wishlist too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
This will have happened to a number of people. Last week someone reported that their target had bought the game that they had secret Santa-ed.

Nothing you can do about it. People taking part in Secret Santa should not buy any of the games on their wishlist nor amend their wishlist during the secret Santa experience. It's not rocket science.

You have done everything right and there is nothing you can do about it now; so just go ahead and be merry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wolve
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, If the game is already in the wishlist and you already have plans to buy them, I think fastest thing we can do is to mark as PreOrdered. At least this shows that you are already intentionally buying them so Santa can get something else XD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Davis
United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is a game I know I want to buy I just place it int he Want to Buy section rather than my wishlist... this makes it easier on friends and family ...and santa of course

Don't be discouraged by what happened with your targets, the joy is in the giving! Merry Christmas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
This happened to me before. It's annoying. But there's more annoying things that can happen.

It's their own fault, though, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Wishlists are used for the SS if you've signed up for it. If you want to use it in another way, you have a comment section, and five different sections on the wishlist. It's not hard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Lakeland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No need to be frustrated. Being a Secret Santa is supposed to be about the giving anyway. The receiving end is something you have little control over.

For me, I still end up doing math trades, buying incredible steals and such even with games on my wishlist. The way I figure it, if the game is good enough, a second copy would still make a great gift to someone else. If the game ends up not being that great, I just consider a second NIS copy to be good trade bait for later.

Don't know that any of that helps you, but have yourself a Merry Christmas anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.R. Shoenberger
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It sounds like it's not your problem.

I had my secret santa email my wife, because I know she has already purchased a few games for me. I still want my wishlist to stay as it is, because I really want those games. He contacted her, and I believe my gift is in the mail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Manning
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said - it is not your fault and something you should not worry too much about. But it is awesome that you care enough to worry! Have a wonderful Christmas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adverb
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caedmus wrote:
If there is a game I know I want to buy I just place it int he Want to Buy section rather than my wishlist... this makes it easier on friends and family ...and santa of course

Don't be discouraged by what happened with your targets, the joy is in the giving! Merry Christmas!

Great tip -- I'll be making use of it next year.

And what Brian said: the excitement is in the giving! I'm sure your recipient will be thrilled by their gift, regardless of where it's moved on their list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.