GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,220 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Core Worlds» Forums » Rules

Subject: Energy Surge Tactic Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth two if any world produced more energy than you this round.

Cool catch up mechanism.

To clarify -- does that mean "at the start of the Energy Phase, after people have included world / warzone powers, but before anybody has discarded Energy Surge Tokens or their own Energy Surge cards?

So are the following examples correct:

1. A, B, C all have 3-Energy worlds. A plays an Energy Surge card for +1. B plays an Energy Surge card, also for +1 because what matters is the state of the board before anybody took their Energy Phase turn. This would be the same if A had discarded two cards for +1 instead.

2. A, B, C all have 3-Energy worlds. A plays an Energy Surge *token* for +2. B plays an Energy Surge *card* for +1 because the token wasn't part of basic production.

3. A, B, C all have 4 total energy across their worlds in play, but C has a world which gives him a bonus energy because he has a Hero in his warzone. A plays an Energy Surge card for +2, because C produced *5* energy.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Marvel Strike Teams (2018)
badge
Marvel Strike Teams: November 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
All of your examples are correct. Essentially, it only matters what the Worlds themselves generate, including any bonuses for the Worlds' card text. The only two Worlds in the base game with text like this are Balthazar (Sector I) and Elysium (Sector IV).

Thanks!

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, I'm glad I've been playing that correctly then. We all hated it when we got both our energy surge cards in the same draw, since it seemed like it was usually better to save one of them for the next turn and it's hard enough to cycle your deck already without having to save a card.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Jackson
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it cost 1 action to play this card? It's not played in the action phase, so was just wondering. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
petejacko wrote:
Does it cost 1 action to play this card? It's not played in the action phase, so was just wondering. Thanks

No. it is played during the Energy Phase not during the Action Phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you clairify further what you look at to allocate the +2 bonus?

The FAQ states that "You only receive +2 Energy from an Energy Surge Tactic if at least one player’s Worlds generate more Energy than your Worlds"

What do "worlds" refers to? Individual worlds? Worlds all together(adding all the energy they produced?

Thx
~J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, if anyone else produced more energy than you (not tied) from just their planets (if players earlier in the turn order discarded cards for energy or played their own Energy Surge cards, don't count those) then you get +2 instead of +1 energy for each of your Energy Surge cards played.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page three explains when you get +2 from an energy surge.

http://www.quixoticgames.com/coreworlds/cw_faq3.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Marvel Strike Teams (2018)
badge
Marvel Strike Teams: November 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger_Jay wrote:
What do "worlds" refers to? Individual worlds? Worlds all together(adding all the energy they produced?

As an additional clarification, you are looking at the total energy produced by all of your worlds together. You are not comparing the energy produced by each separate, individual world.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Parks wrote:
Roger_Jay wrote:

As an additional clarification, you are looking at the total energy produced by all of your worlds together. You are not comparing the energy produced by each separate, individual world.

Andrew

Sorry guys but still unclear and not convinced... I'd like an answer from the designer.

The FAQ (from which the quote in my OP is lifted) clearly reads: "if at least one player’s Worlds generate more Energy than your Worlds"

Each player has an Empire, a War Zone and Worlds. Litterally, I would look at the Worlds own by each player and check if ONE of them, on its own produces more energy than my best energy producing world. This is compatible with the reference made to bonus that comes with some world mentionned in the FAQ.

I would not sum up all the energy produced by a player's worlds and compare the total (which is however how I have been played until I was asked two nights ago).

If you compare total production then you are comparing empire production not Worlds and the FAQ woudl read "if all player's worlds" or "if another player's empire" and there would be no need to say "at least one".

Views?

~J

edited for typo and clarity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Parks is the designer so you have a definite answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL!

So Andrew really needs to make that sentence grammatically correct!

but i got my answer then and should just robot zip it!

~J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Energy Surge is a catchup mechanic; those making less energy (aka those 'behind') total get a bonus. The FAQ spells out what counts as energy production in addition to the energy values printed on worlds (and said box text is cleverly contains the phrase 'counts as part of your energy production' if it does so).

Sum them up and then compare; this is what is intended by the phrase total energy production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It says "one player's worlds", as in worlds, plural. Therefore it means all of the worlds controlled by one player.

There's nothing wrong with the grammar. By contrast, you have not spelled "literally" correctly.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjy Simpson
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had come here with the same question. Several of us who had been playing were struggling with this rule. The way it is written appears to apply to any individual world. We felt like the intent was the total sum, but was unsure if this was written this way for a specific reason.

Thank you for the correct answer! I'd still suggest changing it to "the sum of one player's worlds" in the next reprint!

[edit] Forgot to state how much I love the game! Looking forward to getting the expansion!

Roger_Jay wrote:
Andrew Parks wrote:
Roger_Jay wrote:

Andrew

Sorry guys but still unclear and not convinced... I'd like an answer from the designer.

The FAQ (from which the quote in my OP is lifted) clearly reads: "if at least one player’s Worlds generate more Energy than your Worlds"

Each player has an Empire, a War Zone and Worlds. Litterally, I would look at the Worlds own by each player and check if ONE of them, on its own produces more energy than my best energy producing world. This is compatible with the reference made to bonus that comes with some world mentionned in the FAQ.

I would not sum up all the energy produced by a player's worlds and compare the total (which is however how I have been played until I was asked two nights ago).

If you compare total production then you are comparing empire production not Worlds and the FAQ woudl read "if all player's worlds" or "if another player's empire" and there would be no need to say "at least one".

Views?

~J

edited for typo and clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.