Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: broken_offsite_images [+] [View All]
Pieter-Michiel Geuze
United States
Hiram
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished my first game and I must say that it was a great experience. I purchased the game as soon as it was available and had a number of mini plastic card sleeves to put the play cards in right away.

Then it sat on the table unplayed. I was reading the rules and they were a little confusing. After seeing the Marco video, I figured out that the concept was a three part issue. Advance your goals, monitor/crush Burr's objective, convict if guilty.

Now the rules are well enough written and if you don't read into them, they are not that hard to stay with. It was not an issue of "how" do I play, but "HOW" do I play.

Well as with any journey, it was with the first card play.

I started off with four Prestige Points which I hoarded right away. Apparently as long as you don't search for Burr, and turn his chit, you can get free throws on your agendas.

So I went heavy in turning cards which started to add some support to Burr's unknown expedition. After a short while I figured it was time to get the Federal Agents out into the West to round up some conspirators as well.

Once I drew the Theodosia Burr Alston and a Wilkinson Conspiracy card, which in essence means you have them on your side, I knew that Burr was up to no good. I also had a slew of Evidence cards, that would have made a trial a pretty good chance.

Now I made a mistake. Do not run out of prestige points, because you will then turn over some really bad Defense cards and not have the Prestige to turn them back into the deck. Now my Evidence cards were nullified and the Expedition was well into the Launch track.

I figured with a Wilkinson card in my hand, I had a good chance to move Wilkinson into New Orleans and thwart Burr. All I had to do was not roll a... yup, rolled a 6, launched the expedition.

Now, horrors of horrors, I turned the Conspirator cards and like a bad game of Clue, found that both other Wilkinson cards and Merry were plotting to invade Mexico. Of course at this point, with +5 Support, they succeeded and my moving Wilkinson towards New Orleans was just the icing on the cake.

The victory tally was a Disastrous Defeat, making me the Tricky Dicky of the 19th Century. Shame...

The mechanics are subtle and require you to manage risk as you try to decide what to reach for, without pushing the victory out of your own grasp. I did not get to the Trial part of the play, which does look like a dice off. I did feel that the game was for me to throw and throw I did.

I can imagine that if you are a history buff, this will well suit you. If not, it has a enough flavor text that you can talk sensibly about the whole affair at a cocktail dinner without looking at your Google app on your cell phone.

If you like any of the other Victory Point Games, especially Nemo's War, this will be equally enjoyable. I have tried their Deluxe games, because I thought that the Siege series would be to dull, and I have not been disappointed by either of the two I have. Maybe I will try Zulu next.

As for the physical game? Somewhere the company points out that you are getting a game first, components second. I was disappointed by the packaging of the game. It was folded into a 8.5 x 5 plastic bag. This required the main mapboard to be folded along with the rules. Really? I will pay the extra dollar for a flat unseamed board. I also would have liked the VP chart/Expedition card to be single sheets - this way I could have it set as a large single sheet to layout and play. In the end though I will probably get it all laminated anyway, because this a keeper.

Again, a great game, better then some that I have never played more than once, and have spent way too much money on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter-Michiel Geuze
United States
Hiram
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am an abject counter clipper and card sleever. The game cards fit perfectly in the Fantasy Flight Mini Yellow sleeves. I was disappointed with the Nemo game because those cards didn't fit any sleeve. I only recommend the Fantasy Flight sleeves after some horrendous quality issues with Mayday.

As for the game, it is really quite smart. The game is driven by the card draw system. There are a number of systems that the cards control.

1: There are nine conspirator cards of which you draw three and set them aside. If you have ever played Clue, this will be the Col Custard, in the study with the pipe, cards. The remaining cards go back into the draw deck - as you draw them you can deduce what the cards are in the conspiracy deck.

2: The "expedition" track represents the preparations that Burr is making to whatever conspiracy Burr is involved in. There are numerous Burr cards that advance the track. The Burr cards don't tell you what the conspiracy is, but will shorten the fuse on the countdown.

3: Agenda cards help you move your agenda down three tracks while you balance this against the search for Burr. While these seem a waste, they help the Burr issue and your overall victory.

4: The Wilkinson effect. Wilkinson as a general of the army, is either a help or a conspirator. Depending on how many conspiracy cards you control, what the conspiracy is, or where Wilkinson is located on the map; this will be a major effect. If Wilkinson is a conspirator, and he is close to New Orleans, he will aid Burr. If he is not, then he will be in a position to help. So now you have to decide, am I going to push Wilkinson up or down the coast?

5: Prestige is the currency of the game. The card draw gives and taketh away.

6: The trial is a mini-game that you can prepare for by diverting Prestige to assign evidence, or deprive Burr of Defense cards. If you spend too much on building a case and Burr's conspiracy is harmless, then what else could you have spent them on - a better victory.

The game ends three ways - you decide Burr is harmless, reveal the conspiracy and hope that you guessed right, more points for your agenda. Burr is guilty, you prove it, arrest and convict, points for best results. Burr launches his expedition and fails or succeeds; points for how well he does.

This is a great game, it just seems too much at the start, but once you get started, it falls together. The Marco video is key to getting started out. Again it is well worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the game can also end if Burr is killed during an arrest attempt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Alas the original post has broken offsite image links like https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ntrulh6dfN0/TtfxOxTbscI/A... which makes the report harder to follow ... Pieter-Michiel, if you by chance still have the photos, you could load them to your personal BGG gallery and update the OP text to use those locally stored images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.