GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,867 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Blindside» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Got a few plays in over thanksgiving break... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a copy of this at the Chicago Toy and Game fair. I was initially attracted to the cool game bits (of course), and thought maybe I could use the variable hex board for any number of other games if I didn't like the rules in the box.

Ultimately, this is an abstract strategy game for two players that feels a bit like checkers at first, but lends itself to strategy that far outstrips checkers.

There is a nice single page "quickstart" sheet included in the box, which I skimmed, but I'd had a demo at ChiTAG, so we started playing mid-skim. Consequently, we ended up playing some rules wrong at first. (For instance, I didn't read the part about capturing the arrows that point the same way as the jump, so we were just removing a single arrow of our choice at first on jump captures. We also missed that you have to land on a piece using a piece's maximum possible movement, so we were landing on each other left and right.) Also, about halfway through my first game, I had to dig into the full rules to figure out whether you can jump your own pieces. (You can't. For the record, this is stated in the quickstart rules also, I just missed it.)

The game's components (especially the pieces) are SUPER COOL. I love that you can re-arrange the gameboard, and place your starting positions and the "action" spaces anywhere. The only nitpick I have is that the little two-ended arrows you slot into the bases are actually a slightly different sized arrow on either end. The small end is supposed to go into the base, and the other end points out. Once you realize this, it's not so hard to get 'em to go in the right way, but until then you can get really frustrated trying to jam the arrows in there and not understanding why they don't always fit quite right. (They do fit both ways, but they won't fit next to each other right if they're in backwards.)

After a few games, my relatives indulged me, and we played a four-player game with three pieces (and 11 arrows) each. Because there are black and red bases and black and red arrows, you can play red-black, red-red, black-red, and black-black. Everyone got to choose how they allocated their arrows among their three pieces. We also randomized the gameboard, and then everyone placed some action pieces on the section of the gameboard closest to them, and then took turns placing their pieces on that same section before we started movement turns.

I played red-red. Naturally, everyone else ganged up on me, and I lost horribly. I'm not even sure the rest of them finished up the game, but I do know we all had a good time playing.

The game has already attracted some admiring at a recent game-night, (although it didn't get played). I will definitely be pulling this out again, hopefully soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the Rainbow games version (J.D.Muntz former company) long time ago.....abstract of the year 2012

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
VIDEO AT:
http://www.timberdoodle.com/Talicor_Blindside_Strategy_Game_...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.