Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the # of equipment scale with the # players? I think if #tiles of each type = #players-1, it would force players to consider early upgrading more highly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt tolman
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Look for my first published game, Undermining! Coming soon from Z-man games.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually tried this several times. I generally encourage players to play Undermining any way they see fit. However(!) :The dynamic which you seek (competition for upgrades) already exists in the game, but it's on the board, not in the workshop.

Players generally cannot upgrade with whatever they want without making sacrifices to get the appropriate resources, so the availability of these resources limits players' ability to upgrade. Adding a seperate limitation on equipment compounds with the limitation already in place. This can result in some pretty extreme limitations depending on the layout of the board.

There are exceptions, but I generally believe infrastructure (equipment) should lean towards player choice, and points should lean towards player interaction and competition, and that's the way it currently is in Undermining.

The other effect this change has is dramatically shortening the game, as once the drill bits are gone, all diamonds are good for is fulfilling contracts, etc.

I'm not saying you won't enjoy trying the game that way, and I encourage you to do so if you still think it's something you will enjoy, just thought I'd share my experience playing the game that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've already played it this way (reducing each stack by 1) for a 2-player game. There were 2 of us and 3 of each upgrade. It presented an interesting pressure in the background, and posed a very cool possibility strategically that we could double up on something, leaving the other player at a big disadvantage.
As it turned out, that game was light on upgrades, since my wife (my opponent) went for the SBUX and it was over with half of the Underground yet unexplored.
When I remarked on this she said, "Well, you told me that was how I win the game, so..."
laugh
I will probably continue to scale the setup this way ONLY for 2-player games, because Matt is right, the tension is already there. (Example: the dead bays in a 5-player game.) Only in a 4-player game can it all come out evenly if everyone "plays nice." So far we haven't tried the "play nice" variant...
ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
bandit_boy7 wrote:
I've already played it this way (reducing each stack by 1) for a 2-player game. There were 2 of us and 3 of each upgrade.

actually I was suggesting reducing the number of tiles so that it matches the number of players, minus 1.

in a 2 player game, you would only have 1 equipment tile of each type available. first player to grab an upgrade denies the opponent that upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.