Subject: Some rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scipio O.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of these fairly minor questions may be addressed in the very handy FAQ, but I don't believe so and here they are anyway:

1) Defender retreats from an attack threat, and attacker "shows" an artillery unit, thus not having to enter the vacated locale. (A) Is this an order spent (individual or corps detach), leading to the unit being detached from a corps as necessary? (B) Can the artillery fire on its next turn?

2) If a defender is forced to retreat from a locale due to an attack threat across an approach that it cannot defend, is this a battle -- meaning that the attacker may move no other units into the locale that turn?

3) Can the composition of the French reserves corps be changed after the game begins but before they are brought on the map?

4) Under road movement rules requiring a corps to stop next to an adjacent enemy corps, is a locale "adjacent" only if it shares an approach? There are a number of points on the board (usually around towns) where a locale seems "adjacent" but it does not share an approach Eg can Langeron move from his starting location to St. Hilaire's starting location if there is a French corps in Robelnitz, the town just south of St. Hilaire's starting location?

NT Map: http://simmonsgames.com/tools/mapviewer/Frames.html#http%3A%...

My best answers:
1A) yes
1B) not sure
2) no
3) no
4) yes

Thanks for any help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The order is spent. The artillery cannot fire next turn (unless it's on a hill attacking a non-hill locale.) Though if the defender retreats in step 2 in anticipation of an artillery attack the attacker could instead "change" his order and send in some cav or infantry so he could occupy the defense locale. Remember the attacker chooses the attack command after the defender decides whether to retreat or not.

2) Yes, this is a battle and no, you cannot move further troops into the locale. Attempting a move into a locale containing an enemy piece is an attack. It doesn't matter where in the locale the piece is positioned.

3) no.

4) Locales are adjacent if they share an approach. So, yes Langeron could make that move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cc the calm
Austria
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Brians answers except the first one as I don´t think that it counts as an "artillery-led attack" when the defender retreated during step 2 of the procedure. So the artillery piece would be able to attack in the next turn regardless of beeing on a hill or not.

EDIT: Actually, I went through the german and english rulebooks searching for an answer and that got me confused even more I´d appreciate further adivce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmdrc wrote:
EDIT: Actually, I went through the german and english rulebooks searching for an answer and that got me confused even more I´d appreciate further adivce.

OK, here are my answers, with rule citations.

Scipio Oaklandus wrote:
1) Defender retreats from an attack threat, and attacker "shows" an artillery unit, thus not having to enter the vacated locale. (A) Is this an order spent (individual or corps detach), leading to the unit being detached from a corps as necessary?

Yes. (Bear in mind that artillery can't lead an attack from reserve, so would have to start in the approach if you want to reveal it to avoid advancing).

Scipio Oaklandus wrote:
(B) Can the artillery fire on its next turn?

Yes. The prohibition against attacking with artillery on successive turns (step 5 of the attack procedure) reads as follows:

"Attacks resolved as feints or retreats before combat excepted (which don't count because there are no leading units in such attacks), artillery-led attacks cannot be made from the same attack approach on consecutuve rounds unless the attack locale is a hill and the defense locale is not."

Scipio Oaklandus wrote:

2) If a defender is forced to retreat from a locale due to an attack threat across an approach that it cannot defend, is this a battle -- meaning that the attacker may move no other units into the locale that turn?

It doesn't matter whether the retreat before combat is voluntary or involuntary. Retreats before combat end with step 2, and do not prevent additional units from entering the locale. From the rules, page 11:

"If an attack was won by the attacker (excluding retreats before combat and attacks where the attack leading units were artillery), no pieces other than the attacking pieces may enter the defense locale."

Scipio Oaklandus wrote:
3) Can the composition of the French reserves corps be changed after the game begins but before they are brought on the map?

No. The rules tell you to assign the units during setup. You'd need another rule to allow you to change the composition later, and there isn't one.

Scipio Oaklandus wrote:
4) Under road movement rules requiring a corps to stop next to an adjacent enemy corps, is a locale "adjacent" only if it shares an approach? There are a number of points on the board (usually around towns) where a locale seems "adjacent" but it does not share an approach Eg can Langeron move from his starting location to St. Hilaire's starting location if there is a French corps in Robelnitz, the town just south of St. Hilaire's starting location?

It would of course take more than one turn for Legrande to move 5 locales along the road to St. Hilaire's starting location, but an Allied unit in Roblenitz would not block the move.

From the rules, page 3:

"Locales are adjacent if they are on opposite sides of the same approach."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicklas Roman
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you had been prohibited from moving more units in after a "retreat before combat", cavalry screens would be insanely powerful.

It is also important as it means that sometimes it really is a good idea to sacrifice a piece just to hinder any further movement in that locale by the opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I get for answering questions without looking at the rules. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scipio O.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, seems I should have been able to answer most of those myself. Thanks much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.