Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Gumby
Australia
Taree
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi

I have heard of two rules which I don't if they are just house rules or not. They are:

1. If you take the discard pile you may not use any of the discard pile cards on your current turn (expect the top card). You have to hold them in your hand until your next turn.

2. If you take the discard pile and it is frozen at the time, you can only take the pile down to the card that froze it. The rest of the pile can be taken on a subequent turn.

Are these "official" rules or just house rules?

And while I'm at it, can you freeze the pile with a red three? Does a black three freeze the pile the same as a wild or is it just frozen for the next players turn?

Thanks heaps.

Shane

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrgumby98 wrote:
1. If you take the discard pile you may not use any of the discard pile cards on your current turn (expect the top card). You have to hold them in your hand until your next turn.

2. If you take the discard pile and it is frozen at the time, you can only take the pile down to the card that froze it. The rest of the pile can be taken on a subequent turn.

Are these "official" rules or just house rules?

And while I'm at it, can you freeze the pile with a red three? Does a black three freeze the pile the same as a wild or is it just frozen for the next players turn?
I haven't played in a decade so my memory may be faulty. But.
1. You may use the cards below the top card of the discard pile only after proving that you were entitled to take that card. Usually that means adding it to whatever pair you have in your hand, sometimes it will mean meeting the minimum meld requirement with cards in your hand. Specifically before making use of the other cards in the pile. But you can then use the other cards in the same turn.
2. I never heard of that rule until reading forums here, and I'm sure I would have read the rules that came with my parents cards at least a couple of times over the five years I was playing it.
So it seems that they're both house rules.

Freezing was only something that happened with wilds. Neither three is wild so apart from the next player being unable to pick up a black three they don't freeze the pile. I am less certain of this, but I'm confident that a red three has to be declared/tabled (and possibly replaced) so it can't be discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Gumby
Australia
Taree
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Gareth for the reply. And I assume this holds true for Samba/Bolivia too. Appreciate the help.

Shane

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We only own (and play) the Canasta Caliente version. While I expect the Caliente cards [and possibly also its distinguishing between big and small wilds] may be the only new mechanism to that version, I also wouldn't be surprised, like many old card games, that house variants abound.

As for Canasta Caliente, the only limit to taking the discard pile is that you must prove to being able to meld it immediately to a new grouping (in case it is frozen) or add to an existing melded grouping. You may play other discards immediately or hold any portion of them in your hand. The only required play is the top card.

I think that accords with Avron's understanding, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.