Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Samuel Adams
Canada
Ottawa
Ottawa
flag msg tools
I'd posted this over on SPMs FB page, but it's sorta slow there~

So currently we know the 'What' about the upcoming expansion (Rocktop Troopers and Mario themed), but not the 'How'. I say this because initially I thought we'd see one big expansion per 'level', but after reading some of the world map lore I'm more inclined to think the Rocktops expansion would be more so a 'level 1-2' sort of thing, expanding on what we currently have, as opposed to a straight up 'level 2'. 

The reason I think this is how the areas are talked about. Each zone on the map refers to a few areas or things specific to the region. The mountain area talks not only about the Starfire Mountains, but molten shores (which imo would be perfect for rock turtles) and an evil overlord who's consolidating his power who we've seen no mention of yet. All the zones are like that with their descriptions. The undead swamp talks about the swamp, the farmlands and the witches tower. Clockwork town mentions the pirate ship. Etc etc. 

Are we going to see a few smaller 'booster' sets for each level, between each larger 'level' release? What's everyone else think?

I personally really like the idea of this. A bag or two of minis to put together with some cards and maybe a few tiles, sporadically released throughout the year, would be more than enough to keep my appetite wet until the next big box release. That way we don't have to really worry about the issue I find many boardgames have when it comes to expansions: too many new mechanics and rules added each release. The beauty of SDE is its simplicity and I'd hate to see that lost. I know some may say that it might get boring without something new, but if we get minis with really neat and unique abilities that should satiate the masses. 

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland W. est. 1984
Germany
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For somebody who have to import the game.. PLEASE NOOO. One Big Box a Year would be perfectly fine :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Adams
Canada
Ottawa
Ottawa
flag msg tools
evil_puck wrote:
For somebody who have to import the game.. PLEASE NOOO. One Big Box a Year would be perfectly fine :-)

Well, if the rumors are to be believed, the first expansion is slated for Q1 2012 ^^;; This also leads me to believe it'll be a smaller release.

D6Frog wrote:
Large box expansions for the different areas (new tiles, new cards, new heroes, new enemies) would be best.

The game is already expensive, if they make small expansions the prices will be much much higher because they are not taking advantage of economies of scale.

I feel like when they DO do large box expansions they should be standalone and contain everything one would need to play. I also feel that though it would be an additional cost that this game, at least for a while, is going to need some dmaller supplements to keep from stagnating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Barnes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see much need for large box expansions, unless they plan on adding a lot more dungeon tiles. I think the game would benefit from some more boss/monster choices mainly. As right now, there is really zero choice to be made for the Consul, as you can only pick 2 kobold spawns for a 8-bit, 2 kobold, 1 dragon for 16-bit and 4 kobold and 1 dragon for Super!. You always know what is coming and it really isn't that dynamic.

I think a smaller expansion with some fixes to the current game (correct tokens, card spelling fixes, and what not), maybe a couple more heroes and then another line up of monsters would be pretty awesome. The Hero variety seems much better than the monster choices right now. Maybe even a boss with a couple more treasure cards for it?

Also, the "leveling up" or "progression system" is something I think a lot of people want. Not sure if that is planned, but would be nice to see at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Hockman
United States
Norcross
Georgia
flag msg tools
The person above me has the right idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bergman
United States
California
flag msg tools
Quite frankly, what I see future 'expansions' holding, rather than being an equal to this box, would be something like

2-3 new heroes

1 new boss (with his own treasure cards)

1 new miniboss

2 new spawn points (with associated monsters attached to said spawn points; one spawn point associated with Minions and another with Denizens would be my guess; either that or 3 spawn points total, 2 for minions and 1 for denizens.)

1-2 new tiles (each with two sides).

Frankly, with the base heroes available, they don't NEED an expansion with 8 more heroes in it. Just a couple more per expansion would be fine.

Also, a pack like I've outlined above would probably cost in the region of $40, and be a self-contained 8-bit game by itself! Huh, what an angle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Marstiller
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love large paper dungeon maps that have rooms and halls set up and certain places marked to designate the location of spawn points and treasure chests and other things (where the boss is) and a story/quest item at the end after the boss. Think a printout of a Zelda map where you can move from room to room, maybe even bomb to create shortcuts? You could label the dungeons and include monsters found there and have a couple of super powered weapons or artifacts. So each booster is a stand alone dungeon with a story, a few new monster minis and cards and a few new items cards. THen a campaign could string several of these together. I can't believe how wordy this has gotten. Need to go to bed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fake Name
msg tools
Personally, I feel the heroes as is are a pretty diverse group, and would feel that smaller expansions should focus more on dungeon tiles and monsters, maybe futzing with the Treasure and Loot decks.

What would be cool (and may be unwieldy,) would be that when an expansion for a new "level" came out, they gave you updated version of the heroes to use for that level. For example, the Deeproot Druid could get a new set of powers and maybe even a different creature to shift into. Giving us a new set of heroes that can be use at that "level" or above would let us keep up with what I would assume will be an increasing level of difficulty. 1-3 new heroes per expansion would be OK, but too many could be a problem of choice 4 or 5 expansions down the line. Allowing the "level up!" expansions to work as standalones would be a pricey, but cool idea, with 1-3 smaller expansions for that set that can all fit into that "level's" box.

I like the game, and want to see it succeed. I just worry about developing into a corner, and about keeping the game availible to new players after a few years' worth of expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeh for me and the people playing, I think the key would be variety. New monster sets (spawn points, monsters, bosses) would be awesome in small sets as well as random heroes and treasures... But I would be wary of getting into anything that was the route of sealed box / card pack expansions.

I kind of agree that new heroes would be fun, but technically I wouldnt want the cast to get TOO big and have multiples of the same roles just to have new ppl.

If it were to go the route of "leveling" I would be "ok" with it going towards a "this character played last game, remember he is lvl 2 with this new game card"...

BUT ACTUALLY I think it would be kind of kewl to have "leveled up" classes that models could turn into.

For example there is the level one Pally and they make a level two DRAGOON or something... and in a longer game there is a way to "power up" and become one of the SUPER classes or something like that.

I would be way more for an in game kind of level up vs a leveling system that required people to keep track of their character for the next game as the people who I play with rotates frequently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xylon Lionheart
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I was just thinking about what might come in an expansion, and I actually had a few ideas that might be neat to throw in, like additional possible status effects.

For example:

Reflect: Works like Backlash, but only on Magic and/or Missle attacks (this of course assumes Backlash is nerfed so that it only effects melee.)

Stone: Monster characters affected by Stone are considered killed and removed from the game. Heroes hit with Stone cannot move or spend any action points until healed. If all living heroes are affected by Stone, they have lost and the Consul has won.

Sleep: Cannot move or attack for one turn, after which the status effect is discarded.

Fear (or Paralyzed): When you choose to do any sort of attack (regular or special), roll a blue die. If you fail to roll a star, the action immediately fails.

As for new characters and enemies, I'm sure they are already testing something. I get the feeling that a future hero is going to come out that has Reach just like the Gougers. :3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bergman
United States
California
flag msg tools
Frankly, I'd rather see more monsters that use the status effects that already exist - Choke, Poison, Line, Cross - before we started adding new status effects.

After all, Choke is a potentially crippling SE on heroes, yet the only way the Consul can get it is via a piece of equipment - and the heroes don't benefit from inflicting Choke at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nunes
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could someone give me links to the expansion info. I just ordered my copy of the game, and I'm totally stoked about the chances of expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geek Ken
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
There is a bit of information on the new expansion via their facebook page (April 28): https://www.facebook.com/pages/Soda-Pop-Miniatures/995564344...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.