GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,973 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Pursuit of Glory» Forums » Rules

Subject: Verdun removal conflict rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was always under the impression that if BR Elite infantry divisions were on the board that those were to be the first ones off.
My FtF opponent argues that the BR and Elite requirements are seperate and that in a 4 division removal, 2 regular BR and 2 IN or ANZ Elites would suffice.
We also disagreed on a 2 division removal. If you only wanted to remove 2 are the requirements the same as a 4 division removal? Meaning you have to remove 2 BR Elites? Or are the requirements also halved so that 1 regular BR and an IN Elite fufill the card?
I maintain the first is true. If you're only sending 2, the Western Front higher-ups don't want Indian troops in France or a reduced Cairo garrison.
Who's right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Kriener
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card text doesn't mention elite units.
To me any infantry division seems to fulfill the requirements.

I'd be interested to know what exactly "theater" means:
Only units on the map;
or also units in the reserve box;
or even units in the eliminated box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
A3RKev wrote:
Who's right?

Your opponent.

18.12.3 specifies in detail how to fulfil the requirements for removal. In short:

- At least half (rounding up) of the SCUs removed must be elite or special*;
- With the VERDUN, ROBERTSON and KAISERSCHLACHT events, at least half of the SCUs removed must be BR.

Thus, the requirements for BR and Elite units are clearly separate. If the AP player only wants to negate the event halfway, each requirement is halved separately. Thus, two IN elite SCUs and two BR inf SCUs would negate Verdun completely, one IN special and one BR inf halfway.

*) But remember that camels and BR special units (i.e. Persian Cordons) cannot be used.

toker wrote:
I'd be interested to know what exactly "theater" means:
Only units on the map;
or also units in the reserve box;
or even units in the eliminated box?

Answered in 18.12.4:

Quote:
Removed from where?
SCUs may be removed from the map or Reserve Box, but
never from the Eliminated/Replaceable Units Box. LCUs can
be removed only from the map, never from the Corps Assets
Box or the Eliminated/ Replaceable Units Box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kristian, you've answered that one correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
Might as well use my time constructively while we're waiting for Simon to make a move file

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All right. Tough to time this one well. Turn 3 right after a fairly successful "Liberate Suez" perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enver 4Enver
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Even removing some indian elites and normal brits is good. For me as an AP Avoid Verdun can be a reason to favor an ealy offensive on Gallipoli.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Related question:

CP plays Kaiserslacht (synopsis: remove 3, half (i.e. 2) must be BR, half (i.e. 2) must be elite or special). AP has no BR elite on the map, but plenty of IN elites and specials. Thus, he is able to fulfill the first requirement using two BR infs, and the second requirement using IN elites, but not both requirements at the same time. Does the "substitution" clause in 18.12 apply in this case? If yes, which takes precedence - would the AP eliminate 2 BR inf + 1 IN elite, or 1 BR inf + 2 IN elite?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The AP can (18.12.2) and must (18.12.3) meet the requirement by removing an extra SCU- so enabling both conditions to be met.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.