Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Shald
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Does "Betrayal at House on the Hill" count as a zombie game?
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion includes additional wood, bricks, etc (which the rules say are infinite). It does not include additional 1/2 tools (which the rules say nothing about). The number of tools in the original game was enough for 4 players to each have 3 tools.

Are tools like the resources you make more yourself when you run out, or are they fixed to the number provided in the original game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's strange, because it seems quite easy for one or more players to be stuck with two tools. Maybe there is a rule change to allow a player to upgrade a tool if an one-tool token isn't available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Shald
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tools aren't mentioned anywhere in the rule sheet included in the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would house rule it that way, then. It's easier than providing proxies, and preventing a player from acquiring tools simply doesn't feel right. The lack of tools (or rules to deal with it) looks like more of an omission than intended design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Shald
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was the approach I was figuring to take, but fortunately one of our players didn't try for tools.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played 5 players last night and ran out of 1/2 tool tiles. We decided to flip the 1 to a 2 early but this seems a poor option as you lose the flexibility of adding to 3 resources. I'm guessing this was just overlooked. What are the chances of getting an additional set of tools made up for the 5th player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gallmann
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same thing happened here on my first playing with 5 players. Not sure this was play tested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I contacted Rio Grande to flag this up and a month later they are yet to come back to me. However I e-mailed Hans im Glück at the same time and despite my mail being in English to a a German company I got an answer by return;

there are no additional tools in the expansion of Stone Age. We didn't think that they would run out because there is little use in getting tools, if other players already play this strategy. Of course, if everybody gets 3 tools and no one upgrades them they run out. This is a problem we should have taken more serious while producing the game. We will keep an eye on the development and act accordingly. Up to today, there has only been one complaint about this.

You could order additional tools by sending a letter with 2 Euro (attached with adhesive tape) to

Hans im Glück
Birnauer Str. 15
80809 München
Germany

I got a set of tools the following week so their service was exceptionally good. Shame Rio Grande couldn't be bothered to even acknowledge my question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
there are no additional tools in the expansion of Stone Age. We didn't think that they would run out because there is little use in getting tools, if other players already play this strategy. Of course, if everybody gets 3 tools and no one upgrades them they run out. This is a problem we should have taken more serious while producing the game. We will keep an eye on the development and act accordingly. Up to today, there has only been one complaint about this.

You could order additional tools by sending a letter with 2 Euro (attached with adhesive tape) to

Hans im Glück
Birnauer Str. 15
80809 München
Germany
I got almost the same e-mail from HiG after I mentioned the tool shortage problem to them. Perhaps mine was the other complaint?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
...However I e-mailed Hans im Glück at the same time and despite my mail being in English to a a German company I got an answer by return;

We didn't think that they would run out because there is little use in getting tools, if other players already play this strategy.
Strange they think this is a "strategy" - to me it is a necessity of playing the game. Especially just getting the 1/2 tiles. You just need the flexibility to mitigate the roll. Now maybe going gung-ho and getting all 3 of your tools to 3 or 4 is a "strategy" but 3 more 1/2 tiles should have been included to cover the 5th player.

Anyways, contacting RGG, they told it would be $8.00 to get extra pieces. Seems HiG might be cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand their thinking it wouldn't be needed. To have enough, You need 2 or 3 people to upgrade their first tool to level 3 or to have never gone for a third 1 tool in the first place.

It does seem that everyone getting 3 ones and then stopping would be incredibly rare. We always seem to have at least one person who goes deep on them, and another that ignores them, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
I can understand their thinking it wouldn't be needed. To have enough, You need 2 or 3 people to upgrade their first tool to level 3 or to have never gone for a third 1 tool in the first place.

It does seem that everyone getting 3 ones and then stopping would be incredibly rare. We always seem to have at least one person who goes deep on them, and another that ignores them, etc.
Not the 1/2 tokens though. I think everyone should have access to those.

What do you do if people only have two 1's tools and can't get a third? Are they allowed to upgrade one to a 2? I don't think the rules support that. I can see not needing the 3/4 as that is going deep into the game to get to that point. But all of our players (in 4-player at least) usually have all 3 basic tools.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason the problem was uncovered for us was that on two occasions when a card was taken that involved a die roll for resources, four ‘5’s were rolled handing out a total of 8 tools. It obviously doesn’t take much to use up 12 tiles when this happens.

Reasoning that players should not all opt for the tool makers hut is reasonable, but when tools can also be distributed by a random option, the full quota of tool tiles is essential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls