GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,481 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Computer Based Board Gaming

Subject: Best place to play Diplomacy online? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I used to play this game a lot when I was younger and now I never get to (only partly because 95% of people I know hate it.)

I tried to play online 10 years ago and the problem was that every game we started, the person losing would abandon the game and it'd never finish. It quickly turned me off to Diplomacy online, which was too bad because I think Dip phase through email is even more realistic/fun/sneaky than in person.

Now there appears to be many sites to choose from. I'm looking for one where losing players stay in it till the end (or.. if they don't they get a public red flag or something so we know who they are) and where the community doesn't cheat by having multiple accounts etc.

Any recommendations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are lots of places to play, but the best looking site that has good design, feels good, and doesn't look like it was made in 1995 is http://www.playdiplomacy.com/ (also has plenty of variants including "speed" versions where turns happen every 6 hours, "gunboat" diplomacy, "public-press only" (negotiations happen in public) etc etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Walker
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
badge
what the chit!?
mbmbmbmbmb
playdiplomacy.com is a good site that I chose for my group after doing a bit of research on the different sites.

It has a good community of players who step in if someone quits as those games are red flagged. I even saw it in action as my group abandoned a game (due to a screw up with a player in the 2nd turn) to start a new one and within a few hours of the first person quitting, someone else popped in to take his place before everyone else had a chance to quit.
The forums are also active enough that a question I had was answered quickly.
The admins also do a great job of policing IP's as one evening, we used the same computer to log some turns during a game night session. The next day an admin came in to confirm that all was cool.
So, I don't have experience with any other Diplomacy sites but I have been very happy with playdiplomacy and they seem to check well on all your criteria
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tofarley wrote:
There are lots of places to play, but the best looking site that has good design, feels good, and doesn't look like it was made in 1995 is http://www.playdiplomacy.com/ (also has plenty of variants including "speed" versions where turns happen every 6 hours, "gunboat" diplomacy, "public-press only" (negotiations happen in public) etc etc.

Just wondering...do you actually have to type your orders (allowing typos to screw things up devil ) or do they use drop down menus on this site?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Walker
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
badge
what the chit!?
mbmbmbmbmb
you click on the map which piece you are moving and a drop down menu comes up, then you select your target/location.

Easy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danger Mouse
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I agree with the statements above, playdiplomacy.com is probably the nicest place to play diplomacy. I play **most** of my games there now. Great interface, easy to use.

There is a slight downside. You get a lot of very new players who can mess up your position with poor moves, so make sure you always assume your 'allies' are complete idiots and always keep something in reserve when they invariably mess up.

Also, you can get a lot of sulkers who will quit a game when even the slightest thing goes wrong. This can wreck the balance of a game, and can gift the game to a neighbour of the sulker. (The games will NMR and have hold-orders for absentees.)

So basically I am saying, its a great site, easily the best, but be prepared to play the game slightly differently from the way you play face-2-face.

I find the best, and most mature players, at devel.diplom.org. However, on the downside this is a pbem site using the older judge system. I have probably had the most rewarding games there. Also this site has a lot more variants, including, IMHO, the ultimate Machiavelli variant.

I play about 80% of my games at playdiplomacy.com and 20% at devel,diplom.org.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, thanks for all the responses! I'll try playdiplomacy.com.

jaa17 wrote:

Also, you can get a lot of sulkers who will quit a game when even the slightest thing goes wrong. This can wreck the balance of a game, and can gift the game to a neighbour of the sulker. (The games will NMR and have hold-orders for absentees.)

This is exactly what turned me off to playing Diplomacy online in the first place and specifically I'm trying to avoid. What used to happen was if people saw that they're likely to lose after the first few rounds, they would abandon the game swaying the result without trying to get back into it. I was hoping (slightly expecting) this to have been fixed by now by using some kind of reputation system. For instance, every time a player quits a game, they could get a red X. When someone finishes a game they get a green checkmark. Then when creating games, you can specify that you won't accept any players with red X's or something.

WebDiplomacy looks slightly nicer. Anybody have anything to say about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dillon
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is always www.diplom.org. A great site to pick up a game and one with loads of strategy articles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danger Mouse
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yes, Jack is right about the articles. diplom.org is the same site as devel.diplom.org, just a different subdomain. I have really good things to say about it, the only draw-back is the older pbem judge based system.

As for Webdiplomacy, I had a really bad experience there. I was in a really tight game and the Master ultimately decided the outcome of the game by a very bad master decision. So be careful about that one. Months of game play can ultimately be effected by the Master giving a player an edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.