GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,890 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Excellent collision of sports and math geekery rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Credit eggie for finding this one:

http://www.uni-watch.com/2011/11/30/analyzing-the-famous-pho...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cool stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind—Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
Although that's pretty neat, I'm guessing it's the kind of thing where you could find similar things in almost any photo. Some things matched up and a lot of things didn't.

And when he said "I began by overlaying a golden spiral on top of the photo and right away I was floored," I think he meant ". . . . and right away -- after I adjusted the upper and lower borders of the original photo to several different positions to find the one which gave the most interesting features -- I was floored."

Or maybe I'm just in a bad mood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
This whole "exercise" is a lot like the numerology articles I have seen over the years. "It matches exactly..." (after I have moved it up and down a bit"). "Look at this line" (which I drew in a general direction until it was where I wanted it to be). "The right foot touches the point where..." (and I am not going to explain why I am more interested in the right foot than in the left). "All these lines meet..." (and of course I am not going to be bothered about the lines that do not meet). "The golden ratio..." (I could have picked equilateral triangles, or an exponential graph, or squares, or parallel lines, but they didn't match this nicely). Utterly unfascinating stuff this.

And I am in a pretty good mood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm too dumb to understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.