Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this has been posted a thousand times, but I couldn't find any existing threads:
How does this compare with AGoT in terms of Gameplay and feel and such, are the two gameplays similar at all? Do they feel like similar games in different universes or different systems? I was reading about AGoT and was excited about the attacking other players and stuff, but am attached to the lord of the rings world. So would the two games be comparable or would the lord of the rings not really be a good "replacement" if I wanted a LOTR game?
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Seth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The gameplay is not similar at all.
Definately different game systems.
LotR is co-op so if you want to attack other players you aren't going to scratch that itch here, I'd go with GoT if that is what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and play both games. I think they are both fantastic, but I don't think you can compare them very much.

The only similarity is that they are both LCGs so you have an expanding card pool and base rules that get modified by the cards. Past that its cooperative vs competitive, solo play available for one vs not for the other, different settings, different rules, different types of games completely.

That being said I love them both for very different reasons. I get to play LoTR more often because its much easier to teach, and more approachable. It is also newer and has less expansion which is a good thing in my book as you can grow with the game rather than feeling like you have to catch up to players that have been playing for ages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing LOTR since it was released, and have started AGOT 2 weeks ago.
Let me say that the 2 systems are COMPLETELY different, so it's not just a matter of theme.

I LOVE both of them (though I know AGOT a lot less, as it I am very new to it) but I find AGOT to be A LOT more strategic, then tactic, while LOTR is more on the TACTICS end of the stick, than strategy.

In AGOT you have to think ahead, and plan what to play, which cards to play (especially plots), and when and if to engage your characters. So you have to plan severl turns ahead.
In LOTR, you have to think NOT that much ahead. You start with a pretty solid base (namely your three heroes), so right from the start you already know what your strategy is going to be, and, believe you me, this is a different thing than just deck building.

The expansion packs are also totally different.
In AGOT, the expansions packs have a series for all the houses (apart the house specific deluxe expansions), so you get expansions only to build your deck.
In LOTR you get expansions to augment your deck, but mainly to get quests, and you need quests to give variety to this game.

Another BIG difference (but you know this already): LOTR is a COOP game that can be played solitaire.
AGOT is a VS game, from 2 to 4, so you need an opponent (even though a fellow BGGer wrote some very interesting solo rules, for a ROBOT, as he calls the AI of this virtual opponent).

As I said: I own them both , and I never get two similar games, so this should tell you that these are two totally different games, in mechanics, feel, strategy and tactics.

GET THE BOTH, even just the base sets: totally worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikim wrote:

AGOT is a VS game, from 2 to 4,

just a note GoT can be played with the official multiplayer rules with up to 6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
Ikim wrote:

AGOT is a VS game, from 2 to 4,

just a note GoT can be played with the official multiplayer rules with up to 6

True, but I was referring to the Core set, but Darksbane is correct: if you have the deluxe expansions, you can play up to 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for your responses, Ryan's response especially is helpful, because I would probably not get to play AGoT much with other players, especially since it is harder to explain. Maybe Co-op would be cool, and solo does sound nice. (This may be a hard question to answer, but how is the solo? I think the only solo game I've ever played is Agricola and that wasn't so great :P )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Sethy295 wrote:
Thanks so much for your responses, Ryan's response especially is helpful, because I would probably not get to play AGoT much with other players, especially since it is harder to explain. Maybe Co-op would be cool, and solo does sound nice. (This may be a hard question to answer, but how is the solo? I think the only solo game I've ever played is Agricola and that wasn't so great )

I have only ever played solo.

It works pretty well solo. Some of the scenarios are much more difficult solo, and the last AP doesn't really work, but in general it is fine.

Note that this is a genuine solo - no 'robot' extra player (well, other than the encounter deck, but you get that in the multi-player game, too), no playing two hands (though that works pretty well, too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOTR solo is very good, fun, and rewarding.
Plus, apart Escape from Dul Goldur (scenario 3 of the core set) it scales pretty well for solo play: it is harder, but just as fun.

AGOT is harder than LOTR. Not the rules themselves, but the planning is harder, and takes a little getting used to, since, like I said, you have think ahead a few turns. On the other hand, while decisions in LOTR are all very important and relevant, they are based on short term strategies.

Like I said: my suggestion is to get both core sets, and expand only the on you like best (if you ever want to expand in the first place) as both are totally worth the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.