Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Olivier, Sr.
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The third game is called ‘Bargains’, and looking down the list of cards I really wasn’t expecting too much. Highway, Scheme, and Fool’s Gold were the only new cards introduced, though I don’t even remember either of us taking a ‘Scheme’ at all.
Among the highlights was that I was able to take Nomad’s Camp on my first turn, giving me the novelty of a 4/5 opening. Unfortunately, the game was put on hiatus while I tried to explain ‘Fools Gold’ to my wife, who took the wording to mean something different than it really does. The wording on the card is not very clear, but the example given in the book should have cleared it up. Alas, we went to the ‘Preview’ that Donald X. had posted about a month ago on BGG.
I feared that the game would be rather blasé, like the first game was, but it actually was a lot more interesting than that. I became a bit too reliant on the Border Village, becoming addicted to gaining an extra $5 card. I also had amassed three Fools Golds by mid game, and they started to show up in pairs a few times (and three of them in one hand). The Cache was a real dilemma…it was a nice card to get $3 from, but having to take the two coppers got to be annoying without a good trasher card.
I lost the hard fought game, 33 – 27. After the first three games I am duly impressed with most of the cards, but I’m beginning to think that this is an expansion that’s best played with other sets rather than by itself. This game featured two of the three reaction cards and no attacks, and I realize that the Fool’s Gold is not even designed for dealing with attacks. That’s probably why this set is so light on attacks! It also presents a slight paradox; Many new players don’t like attacks…this game satisfactorily addressed that issue, but the complexity of the cards would put off ‘Newbies’. Very interesting….
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rantinronrevue wrote:
The wording on the card is not very clear, but the example given in the book should have cleared it up.

So what about the card is not very clear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Île-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"if this is the first time you play a fool's gold, etc"

Some players understood that as the first time you played a fool's gold this game, not this turn. I can understand that this confusion led to some bitter disappointment when she learnt how it truly worked, but on the other hand the other meaning is clearly OP, so she probably saw it coming...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if the fact that it says "If this is the first time you played a Fool's Gold this turn" (emphasis mine) on the card doesn't make it clear that it means this turn, I'm not sure how it could be made clearer.

Are you using the English language version or another language, in which case this could be a translation issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Île-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, my bad, I remember somebody in another thread that understood what I said, and I forgot to check the exact words in English.

In hindsight, maybe this wasn't the exact problem of the first poster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jeffwolfe wrote:
rantinronrevue wrote:
The wording on the card is not very clear, but the example given in the book should have cleared it up.

So what about the card is not very clear?

I think it just comes down to the issue that some people don't realize that TREASURE CARDS ARE PLAYED ONE AT A TIME, IN ORDER; NOT ALL AT ONCE.

(caps not intended for yelling, but I'm sure someone will still come across this thread and still not realize how treasure cards are played)

It's mentioned in the Prosperity rules as well as on page 4 of the Hinterlands rules and I thought the FAQ about Fools Gold (page 7) made it pretty clear as well. But I guess if you never read the fundamental rules of the game, reading the card itself might be a little confusing. So some might wonder if it means playing them during some additional buy phase (like with Black Market) is only worth $1 each and playing them later during your regular buy phase makes them worth $4 each or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier, Sr.
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:

It's mentioned in the Prosperity rules as well as on page 4 of the Hinterlands rules and I thought the FAQ about Fools Gold (page 7) made it pretty clear as well. But I guess if you never read the fundamental rules of the game, reading the card itself might be a little confusing. So some might wonder if it means playing them during some additional buy phase (like with Black Market) is only worth $1 each and playing them later during your regular buy phase makes them worth $4 each or something like that.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I had already played this card on Isotropic and knew how it functioned. My wife was interpreting it as the equivalent of 'If this turn is the first time you've played a Fool's Gold...'.

Indeed, if that WAS the case, this would probably be the most undervalued card in the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Costello
msg tools
rantinronrevue wrote:

Oh, don't get me wrong. I had already played this card on Isotropic and knew how it functioned. My wife was interpreting it as the equivalent of 'If this turn is the first time you've played a Fool's Gold...'.

Fool's gold reads:

"If this was the first time you played a fool's gold this turn..."

rantinronrevue wrote:

The wording on the card is not very clear

I can't really think of any way it could be clearer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Howlett
msg tools
kevincos wrote:
rantinronrevue wrote:

Fool's gold reads:

"If this was the first time you played a fool's gold this turn..."

I actually see what he's saying.

This could be interpreted to mean:

"If this turn was the first time you played a fool's gold..."

kevincos wrote:
rantinronrevue wrote:

The wording on the card is not very clear

Hmm... How about:

"When you play this, if there is one Fool's Gold in play..."

That would be more consistent with the wording on Bank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suncho wrote:
kevincos wrote:

Hmm... How about:

That does not behave the same. Example: Buy Mint from the Black Market after playing Fool's Gold, then play Fool's Gold in the Buy phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Suncho wrote:
I actually see what he's saying.

This could be interpreted to mean:

"If this turn was the first time you played a fool's gold..."

I'd guess that anyone making this misinterpretation is inadvertently shifting the comma:

"If this is the first time you played a Fool's Gold, this turn this is worth $1. Otherwise it's worth $4."

Awkward (and stupidly overpowered), but at least sensible. It could have been avoided by saying "If this is the first time this turn you played a Fool's Gold," but I doubt the mistake is common enough to worry about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jeffwolfe wrote:
Suncho wrote:
kevincos wrote:

Hmm... How about:

That does not behave the same. Example: Buy Mint from the Black Market after playing Fool's Gold, then play Fool's Gold in the Buy phase.

Or how about if you buy a Mandarin from the Black Market with a Fool's Gold in play (or gain one after your Black Market buy with something like University), put all treasures on top of your deck with Fool's Gold as the very top card, and then use something like Smithy to draw the same Fool's Gold again to play a second time during your regular buy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooter 1981
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Due to the number of cards that allow you to gain another or can be picked up due to buying something else, ie: Border Village, Duchess, Develop. This game ended with 3 supply piles being used. I was trying for Provinces and I failed.
This game is definitely a race to use up piles. What have others experienced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.