Subject: How I came to love Quarriants. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Saad
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be brief.
I just purchased this game and boy have I ever heard about how to improve it.
Well, I have to confess, I played Quarriors once 2 player (just to become acquainted with the rules) and came away thinking * King of Tokyo was a better purchase.
To be fair, King of Tokyo sucks as a 2 player game also, but I love King of Tokyo, it is a dice/card game that will entertain 3-6 players admirably for repeated plays the same night, truly an excellent purchase if your game group really loves dishing out death.
Then I played Quarriors again 3 player, 3 back to backs, with the
following quarriant rules(which are posted by one of the game designers)
Play to 20 glory points regardless of number of players, allow 2 purchases/turn and finally, you only score the creatures you cull.

I'm super sold! DISH IT OUT!!, Great game! Coin well spent!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It works really well with just he first two changes, honestly. That's our variant:

1) Base 2 buys
2) no buying 2 of the same die in a turn
3) no creature exhaust end condition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Saad
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I was reluctant to play the creature exaust rule, but when I mentioned it to my play group as a quariant rule posted by the designer, they embraced it and forced me to play by it. After having won two of the 3 games and having 3 dragons in my bag during the last play, and furthermore each game lasting no longer than 35 minutes, I was sold on the cull for glory quariant.

I appreciate your reply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Brígido B. Sales
Brazil
Fortaleza
Ceará
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like you first felt about the "creature exaust" quariant. Maybe i'll test this tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only variant I use is the 2 buy one. I'm leary with anything that affects culling considering how vital culling is to the core mechanics. With 2 buys though the game is great, I know the developers themselves have admitted that 2 buys was the initial mechanic and it was only changed to 1 to appeal to the more casual crowd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Saad
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was leary about the culling rule variant also, not wanting to infringe on the building of army/glory scoring game mechanic "Build a wicked army and score for glory".
But with the cull for glory quariant you have to balance the army with the glory, and you can still kick butt without notably increasing gameplay time, truly more satifying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I don't understand. What's this rule all about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Saad
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way we play is:
when you score a creature for glory it goes back into the wilds from your ready area instead of the used pile(this is how I interpret the "creature exhaust" rule). This variant being in lieu of "culling" any creature when you move a creature from the ready area to your used pile and score glory.
So you have the option of putting a creature in your used pile from your ready area to play it again for no glory, or score it for glory and send it back to the wilds.

...It was glorious when Conan the Barbarian was finally set free from his life as a pit fighter! His master was truly honourable...

We like this adaptation because it helps keep one player from a quick runaway win or the game ending too quickly before you have a chance to play with your tailored dice pool.
We found too that we were buying less powerful creatures with very cost effective glory points.
It also adds a bit more decision making... Do I keep the dragon, or score it? Well of course keep it and send some other grunt back for points, but when you are close to victory, score it!
The game length does not increase that much...35-40 minutes total for an average session. We play to 20 points regardless of number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fractal Energy
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are these official Quarriants?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rashktah wrote:
Quote:

Full rules say if 4 creature power cards are empty, the game ends then and there. If you can buy two creatures it's easy to meet this condition far too early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirenx wrote:
Only variant I use is the 2 buy one. I'm leary with anything that affects culling considering how vital culling is to the core mechanics. With 2 buys though the game is great, I know the developers themselves have admitted that 2 buys was the initial mechanic and it was only changed to 1 to appeal to the more casual crowd.

The two buy thing is the key. It really does play as if it was designed that way. Where did they say this?

I put the two of the same buy rule in because everyone should have a chance to get a type of die IMHO, in a four player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garysax wrote:
Kirenx wrote:

The two buy thing is the key. It really does play as if it was designed that way. Where did they say this?

I put the two of the same buy rule in because everyone should have a chance to get a type of die IMHO, in a four player game.

Mike Elliott had emailed me after I wrote my review and told me how they moved from 2 buys to 1 because some more casual players took significantly longer on their turns when they had to make a choice. I have not played with many casual gamers myself so I can not really comment on that, but yeah two buys is the single most important variant in my opinion. Purchasing is such a huge mechanic and having that single additional buy really opens up the game allowing more varied strategies and enabling dice to be useful that would otherwise often get passed up. From the games I have play I have yet to see a negative impact from playing with 2 buys, it seems to make a lot of dice more viable as purchases, while nothing lessens in its potential, otherall as I have said on another thread I won't go back to a single purchase system.

As for the culling, personally I really like the current system. I think especially with the inclusion of the expansion, changing the culling rules may affect the balance of certain creatures. For instance one of the demonlords scores then destroys every other creature in play and then is removed from the game. If every creature is removed from your dice pool when they score, the negative aspect of that demonlord is far less. In addition I think corrupted dice change the culling dynamic as is, since instead of culling quiddity and assistants you may well be having to waste culls getting rid of corrupted quiddity. Those are just observations though, I can't say for sure as I have not found the need to try a new culling system myself. I might try it in the future just to see how it works compared to the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Overlord
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garysax wrote:
rashktah wrote:
Quote:

Full rules say if 4 creature power cards are empty, the game ends then and there. If you can buy two creatures it's easy to meet this condition far too early.

That's why the "cull the creature you score" rule should be used with the 2 draw. If you have to return scoring creatures to the wilds, then the piles won't empty nearly as fast.

I personally love the variant rules. It definetely reduces the power of early game dragons, etc. that I hear a lot of players complaining about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fractal Energy
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaybarlekamp wrote:
garysax wrote:
rashktah wrote:
Quote:

That's why the "cull the creature you score" rule should be used with the 2 draw. If you have to return scoring creatures to the wilds, then the piles won't empty nearly as fast.

I personally love the variant rules. It definetely reduces the power of early game dragons, etc. that I hear a lot of players complaining about.

So how would you ever cull your basic dice if you can never score without wasting your cull on a purchased die?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Overlord
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sstrunks5555 wrote:
jaybarlekamp wrote:
garysax wrote:
rashktah wrote:
Quote:

So how would you ever cull your basic dice if you can never score without wasting your cull on a purchased die?

Why do you need to? it isn't like your "deck" is going to be full of creatures. you need the basic dice to give you an economy. It's just like dominion, there isn't always a way to get rid of "junk" so you just have to deal with it. I forsee some advanced quiddity eventually that gives more value, and likely more creatures that allow culling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I understand that the two variant ideas (cull creatures that score and buy 2 dice per turn if desired) proposed by one of the designers were part of the original design until late in the process, and they seem to work well with the original game of Quarriors, and I like them as well. However, was the expansion 'Rise of the Demons' designed with those two variants in mind as well? What worries me is - the two variant rules might work well with the original Quarriors, but might not work so well when the two games are put together. I don't own the expansion yet - but I notice here a couple comments here that suggest there might be a problem introducing the two rules into the expansion game. Maybe the variants will only be useful when playing the original game on its own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know what seems like a much better culling variant, and is equally as simple. For every creature that survives, the player has to chose to score OR cull. Forget culling the creature that scores, this variant solves all the same problems and still lets people build up their dice pool, keeping the viability of all the cards and abilities. It sounds like peoples problem is not with early dragons or culling, but early dragons AND culling. So with this simple change, that does not affect the base mechanics as much, if someone gets a early dragon and scores with it, his pool will not be as refined as another player who purchases smaller creatures, perhaps even multiple low cost creatures with the 2 buy rule and has a slightly slower start but ultimately optomizes their pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So after reading this thread, I decided to dust off Quarriors and give it a shot with some variant rules. We played:

1. Two buys per turn.
2. Can't purchase two of the same dice per turn.
3. Scoring creatures get culled (in-lieu of culling some other die when scoring).

I have to say, I'm really impressed now. We did play with the expansion, and everything seemed to work fine with the variant rules. The games were tense and close, qualities which had often been lacking in the game before. People were purchasing spells now. And even when folks had the opportunity to purchase a dragon or a demon, they frequently passed it up and bought two smaller guys instead. The variants, and my experience with them, have put Quarriors back on my radar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With 2 buys, spells are key. Most provide much better returns of mana than regular dice and often have rerolls and other good stuff on them. To say nothing of the spells themselves!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fractal Energy
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Devon Harmon wrote:
So after reading this thread, I decided to dust off Quarriors and give it a shot with some variant rules. We played:

1. Two buys per turn.
2. Can't purchase two of the same dice per turn.
3. Scoring creatures get culled (in-lieu of culling some other die when scoring).

I have to say, I'm really impressed now. We did play with the expansion, and everything seemed to work fine with the variant rules. The games were tense and close, qualities which had often been lacking in the game before. People were purchasing spells now. And even when folks had the opportunity to purchase a dragon or a demon, they frequently passed it up and bought two smaller guys instead. The variants, and my experience with them, have put Quarriors back on my radar.

I agree totally. I tried this variant out the other day and I love it. I feel like the choices I make have more of an impact now. As long as I FEEL like I have relevant choices (whether or not any one strategy is actually better than another in a game about rolling dice, I don't know) I enjoy making those choices more.

Spells get eaten up quick, and since they never go back into the wilds (i'm not missing anything, right?) it seems that they're really quite powerful and desirable. Has anyone considered a rule where spells get sent back to the wilds after being cast? We found in some games one or two players quickly snatch up all the spells and some players are left in the dust (how can you compete with someone readying two of the +4 defense spells and some +3 attack spells?). I suppose it's also the other players' fault for not picking the spells up sooner...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvkwasny wrote:
I understand that the two variant ideas (cull creatures that score and buy 2 dice per turn if desired) proposed by one of the designers were part of the original design until late in the process, and they seem to work well with the original game of Quarriors, and I like them as well. However, was the expansion 'Rise of the Demons' designed with those two variants in mind as well? What worries me is - the two variant rules might work well with the original Quarriors, but might not work so well when the two games are put together. I don't own the expansion yet - but I notice here a couple comments here that suggest there might be a problem introducing the two rules into the expansion game. Maybe the variants will only be useful when playing the original game on its own.

I think those fears go away when you consider that they are listed as official variants in the second expansion rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
mvkwasny wrote:

I think those fears go away when you consider that they are listed as official variants in the second expansion rulebook.

Well the 2 buy one does not make much of a difference with Deomons anyways. I'm not crazy with the culling variant at the best of times but with corrupted quiddity in the mix, it becomes especially annoying if you can not get rid of them. The new expansion rulebook seems to have been written without Rise of the Demons in mind, it only mentions it off-hand, which makes sense as you could get the upcoming expansion without getting Demons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.