Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so this game looks SO interesting to me, and some of the write-ups and session reports sounded really fun. But... this game scares the crap out of me. I don't think I'll, in all honesty, be able to ever do a full campaign.

Is this game worth getting for just the quick "one-offs"? I'm a long time board gamer, and have played some chit games like Space Empires 4x and Combat Commander, but nothing like this.

How far in over my head would I be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
Kirk "The Man" Douglas (Vikings)
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
Ok, so this game looks SO interesting to me, and some of the write-ups and session reports sounded really fun. But... this game scares the crap out of me. I don't think I'll, in all honesty, be able to ever do a full campaign.

Is this game worth getting for just the quick "one-offs"? I'm a long time board gamer, and have played some chit games like Space Empires 4x and Combat Commander, but nothing like this.

If you enjoy playing solataire games, watching Das Boote and the Captain scream "Alarm!", read books about it, build model U-boats, etc. Then you MUST have this game.

I guess what I am basically saying here is, if you love the subject, get the game, and don't listen to any of the reviews.

By the way I own it, never played (I did set it up though), but glad I have it.

Cheers
Kevin

PS
Oh, and there are lot's of different length scenairos to choose from, you don't have to do a full campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zhodanicommando wrote:
ferris1971 wrote:

If you enjoy playing solataire games, watching Das Boote and the Captain scream "Alarm!", read books about it, build model U-boats, etc. Then you MUST have this game.

I guess what I am basically saying here is, if you love the subject, get the game, and don't listen to any of the reviews.

By the way I own it, never played (I did set it up though), but glad I have it.

Cheers
Kevin

PS
Oh, and there are lot's of different length scenairos to choose from, you don't have to do a full campaign.

Aye, aye Captain, that would index fit my profile! The German/Atlantic conflict appeals to me more than the Pacific, but I almost want Silent War just for the cool submarine comparison chart.

I think I gotta pick this up tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
Kirk "The Man" Douglas (Vikings)
mbmbmbmbmb
U-boats have always been interesting to me, but you might want to get Silent War just for the fact that it plays differently. From what I hear, and from one of my friends who has played it, you want Silent War, and the Japanese fleet expasion pack. He says that it is brutal for the Americans at the beginning. I had it, traded it to him and he played it several times, and just loved it. He's seen my Steel Wolves (he won't get this baby in a trade anytime soon) and remarked how much different it was in the way you play it. Someone else will have to chime in on that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Schall
United States
Evans City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg,
Full campaigns take very long to play for both Steel Wolves and Silent War. I have both and am playing the full campaigns with both. There is no way I can keep the maps and counters set up for a year or so which is why I play these games with VASSAL. The VASSAL modules are outstanding for these two games. You can, however, play patrol games and even smaller campaigns in a single setting. I played the Drumbeat campaign of Steel Wolves as my last physical setup and it took me around 5 days. VASSAL is the way to go with these games IMO. When I played the full campaign of Silent War the first time, I used VASSAL and it took me around a year--but I took many breaks. My current campaign is using the IJN expansion set plus VASSAL. Both Silent War and Steel Wolves are fantastic games for any submarine fan.
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.