Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom H
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Basil Hilder KIA Lone Pine, Gallipoli
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just received Sekigahara after ordering it through the recent GMT sale. This was as thankyou from their P500s. The profit from this game has been donated to the Japanese tsumani relief program.

My comment is ....

What do GMT think they are doing?

This game has a mounted board, over 100 wooden blocks, looks beautiful, ..... it just takes my breath away. And all for $65 or less on special!

How can I compare this to my other wargames? I haven't been this excited since Bam, NT and Friedrich. How can I justify buying more wargames if they don't stack up to this...

Just had to let that out!

Yours truly.

Gobsmacked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, I agree. I got Sekigahara and No Retreat on the fall sale and they both have beautiful mounted maps and colour rule books. NR has big, thick counters, a separate play book with scenarios and examples.

Games like these set the components bar pretty high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
boisse wrote:

Yeah, I agree. I got Sekigahara and No Retreat on the fall sale and they both have beautiful mounted maps and colour rule books. NR has big, thick counters, a separate play book with scenarios and examples.

Games like these set the components bar pretty high.

I am finding more and more reasons to just give my money to GMT. Great company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you do have to put the stickers on yourself. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer is giving his proceeds to Japanese earthquake/Tsunami relief, but I didn't see anything to indicate that GMT is giving their profits on this game to charity as well.

It is a great game though. One of the best GMT has done in ages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard Mueller
Germany
Gauting
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cfarrell wrote:
The designer is giving his proceeds to Japanese earthquake/Tsunami relief, but I didn't see anything to indicate that GMT is giving their profits on this game to charity as well.

The difference is probably that the designer has a day job while GMT has to earn money to exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
etagimbo wrote:
cfarrell wrote:

The difference is probably that the designer has a day job while GMT has to earn money to exist.

Mr. Calkins also posted in another thread that GMT was gracious enough to front him his commission from the game so that he could make his donation to the relief fund when it was most needed. That's pretty awesome and, as already mentioned, they're a business. And for all we know, they may already have regular involvement with charities or other community efforts we're not privy to.

I also think it's inappropriate to be calling out a person or entity to make or match some kind of charitable effort made elsewhere. It's one thing to issue an open challenge like "Hey, I'll donate X dollars to this fund and challenge anyone else to match me on it" and another thing entirely to publicly question someone's contribution to a cause. cfarrell: I didn't see anything to indicate you making a contribution to the relief fund. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, and it's not my business. Just sayin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
cfarrell wrote:

It is a great game though. One of the best GMT has done in ages.

The designer did mention in another thread that GMT fronted him his entire royalty from the game all at once so that he could donate it. That's pretty generous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get me wrong, I think it's great the designer is giving his earnings from the game to a worthy cause related to his game. I just wanted to correct the impression that all the profit from the game was going to Japanese disaster relief, which I do not believe is the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
cfarrell wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I think it's great the designer is giving his earnings from the game to a worthy cause related to his game. I just wanted to correct the impression that all the profit from the game was going to Japanese disaster relief, which I do not believe is the case.

Ah yes, you are right. Since I had read the rule book (which states clearly that the designer is donating his proceeds), I skimmed over that part of the OP without really thinking about the ambiguity where one could read it as though ALL profits are being donated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris, is this good enough to make your introductory or top wargames lists? Very good lists btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.