GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,441 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
This user loves Easter eggs.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just got home from the first night of Wintercon 2011, my son's and my first gaming convention ever. We had a blast. It's 1:25 am though.. so I just wanted to solicit your stories and pictures here and I will update later.. maybe tomorrow night after the next day of gaming.

Edit: I just got home Saturday.. it's 11:39 pm.. way to late to start listing the awesomeness that was Wintercon. I'll do that tomorrow probably. One thought though.. it turns out they gave away more than 50 games at the con! And good games! More on all that later.. Gnight!

Edit: I'm well rested now. My son and I had a good 12 hour sleep and seem to be caught up. We had such a blast on the weekend.

So on Friday night we arrived a little bit early and watched everyone set up. I had never been to a gaming convention before (comic conventions with my uncle as a kid but this was different) and enjoyed seeing stacks of board games just start growing all around me like a forest on time lapse as the vendors migrated in. I was surprised to learn that what appeared to be the largest vendor in the room was actually a prize table. Everyone who came in the door got a ticket, everyone who played a game got a ticket, everyone who won got a ticket, and everyone who donated to toys for tots. There was also a separate raffle drawing going on. All in all, they gave out more than 50 games over two days. Many of them top notch and quite expensive.

So right in the door I met two guys, Mike and Rob, who help run the event. Mike is the one in Green and Rob on the left. Oakland University Board Game Guild official Nick is on the far right. I don't know the guy second to the right but he was moving games around like he was getting paid so these are just a few of the guys that made the event happen.

Rob is a fellow geek
Robert Fix
United States
Sterling Hts
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...who recognized me from my picture and pointed me to a few other geeks. Really cool guy. Apparantly this is the fellow who has spent years making connections with all the game companies to donate to his events.. so kudos to you sir for keeping the hobby going in such an epic way.

Mike was really cool with Ezra my son. Mike tossed Ez a door prize of We Didn't Playtest This At All just for showing up, which 10 minutes later became the first game I ever played(lost) at a gaming convention. The first card played in the game Ez laid down. It read, if it's your birthday month, YOU WIN! It was. I lost.

Early on we met fellow geek
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
who was a really cool guy and reminded me of another close friend of ours.

That's me and Dave.

Once the convention got going we played a game of Formula Dé which Ezra was leading the first round but I eventually over took him in the second half of the last round. Dave's dice just weren't working for him.. either that or he was betting on us all crashing towards the end so he could meander passed our wreckage for the win. We had a good time though. This wound up being Ezra's favorite game at the convention. I enjoyed my first play at a racing styled dice game. edit: This game was run by
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
.. very cool fella. We would later meet up at a ROBA meeting.

So from there we signed up to play Leaping Lemmings but the game started a touch late, giving us a time to hang out and chat with the Mayfair rep who was talking us into buying the new Catan Scenarios: Oil Springs whenever it comes out (really soon we're assured). I am sold. For 5 bucks it looks like a good addition to our Catan collection (seeing as how we have almost everything). And I got a glimpse at the new Mayfair reprint of 1830: Railways & Robber Barons which I hope to aquire someday. Then we sat and bugged Dave some more:

Then our game of Leaping Lemmings began.. and wouldn't you know it, fellow BGG
Katie Schumm
United States
Brighton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
was there! We had a great time. My son and Kate seem to have teamed up in feeding all my lemmings to the eagles (apparently hippy lemmings make a better snack than biker, geek and viking lemmings) so I came in dead last with all but 3 of my lemmings on the "eaten" pile. Kate took the lead and did so in style... earning her another raffle ticket. A Winning raffle ticket if I'm not mistaken! Well done.

to be continued...
OK.. to continue:

The next day we got there early and started it off with a game of Powerboats, being the second race game I ever tried in the same number of days. I was getting the hang of it and really enjoyed it.

I can't remember the exact sequence of everything but we would up playing a bunch of things that day.

We played Galaxy Trucker together. We both enjoyed it but found the rather random mad tile grabbing phase a bit difficult to grasp when faced with experienced players. Still fun.
We got it eventually!

We split up for a while because he wanted to learn Munchkin from the Steve Jackson rep and I wanted to learn Pirate's Cove. We both loved our games and I'd like to get a copy of Pirate's Cove for myself.

We also played Wing's of War together. I liked it so much that the boys got this one for Christmas!

What else.. let's see, a really cool guy named Herb who owns a 7/11 shop (and sells tons of baord games out of it) taught a bunch of the youngins how to play Slapshot which seemed like a great hockey game. (That's who gave me a deal on Wings of War, if you're ever close to 14mi and Ryan in SE MI, [geekurl=http://maps.google.com/maps/place?q=7-11+14+mi+michigan&cid=6564008696491171875]check out his shop!Check out his Shop![/geekurl])

We also played a game of GW's Lord of the Rings. I got to be Gandalf and he was Aragorn. Very fun. Great scenery.

A really cool guy named James taught us how to play Wasabi!.
That was great fun. Then James taught Ezra and some others how to play Killer Bunnies while I slipped away for more Wings of War.. which is pretty much how we ended the day..

What a good time. I will definitely be going next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
mbmbmb
It was very nice to meet you and your son. you guys looked like you were having a blast!

Thank you again for making up the BGG badges. They were even cooler than I thought they'd be.

All in all, despite not getting to stay long it was a very nice time. We only managed to get one game in on Friday, El Grande , but it's one that I've been dying to try forever. Between hustling around and watching out for the raffles we managed to sneak in a few games of Innovation and the copy of The Downfall of Pompeii that Nicole snatched up. At the end of our Saturday (2PM-ish) Nicole won a copy of Dominant Species... crazy awesome!

Hope you guys had a good time and maybe we'll cross paths again in the Summer at .... ... SUMMERCON?

CHEERS!

Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
mbmbmb

+

Nicole Yuhase
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hill
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will also say thanks a lot for the custom badges!!
They were VERY cool!!!
Maybe we will see you at Michicon next summer!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blakstar wrote:
It was very nice to meet you and your son. you guys looked like you were having a blast!

Thank you again for making up the BGG badges. They were even cooler than I thought they'd be.

All in all, despite not getting to stay long it was a very nice time. We only managed to get one game in on Friday, El Grande , but it's one that I've been dying to try forever. Between hustling around and watching out for the raffles we managed to sneak in a few games of Innovation and the copy of The Downfall of Pompeii that Nicole snatched up. At the end of our Saturday (2PM-ish) Nicole won a copy of Dominant Species... crazy awesome!

Hope you guys had a good time and maybe we'll cross paths again in the Summer at .... ... SUMMERCON?
CHEERS!
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
mbmbmb

+
Nicole Yuhase
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah! It was a blast. Nice meeting you guys. Sorry we didn't get to play a game together. We'll have to make that work next time.

What a good lookin' couple!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diablo663 wrote:
I will also say thanks a lot for the custom badges!!
They were VERY cool!!!
Maybe we will see you at Michicon next summer!!

Here you are Rob (diablo663).. what game are you playing?

Yeah! I had fun making the badges! I made 14 of them. The first night I found half of the people and gave them out, shook hands, took pics, swapped some goods, etc.. I also met Kate (wonderwitch on BGG) and her husband. I made her a badge to go with the rest, but then the second day I forgot to put my badge bag back into my game box. Ce'est la vie.

Here are the two that I met that I didn't get to give away!

Matt

and

Kate

So.. sorry guys. Those badges will live in my game box from now till we meet again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hill
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is the game Gears of War from Fantasy Flight Games we are playing there.
Great co-op game based on the video game series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am submitting the Microbadge design right now so if anyone participated in the event in anyway, comment here and get your badge!

I am trying to get two badges in the system. One given out to all participants of the 2011 event and one purchasable by all for anyone who likes Wintercon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Allright!

We have a microbadge! If you were there, pm me and I'll make sure you get your badge.

http://boardgamegeek.com/microbadge/23007

mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
Only 6 months until the next round.
badge
A little lower and to the left, please.
I forgot to bring this up at the time, but... Why did I get this badge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An admin awarded it to you. They must like you. Were you not at the convention? If not, you can delete it or consider yourself lucky and keep it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Honorary Winterconian!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.