Subject: noobish questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
ok , so here is the situation . i have been mildly interested in WOW WW2 for a short while , but i am not going to get heavily into it , it is going to be something to play for off weekends when we dont feel like playing dust tactics .

since FFG is having their holiday sale , which is more like their clearance sale for items they have no real distrobution market for anymore , i bought the WOW WW2 fire from the sky set and some planes for all of us to use . @$5 each , i could afford a few .

i am not going to get heavily invested into this game .

FFG sale didnt have the orignal WW2 starter , only the fire from the sky one . it says its a complete stand alone game .

so my first question is by not having the original starter , what am i missing ?

even if i dont need it is there any super important stuff that i really should get the original starter for ?

i plan to get a few of the deck packs from another web store , from those that have seen the previews of the new items from the new company , does it look like they will be compatible , or will it be changed enough to require me to get new rules sets if i or my other players get a couple more planes over time from the new company .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good questions, and you're in luck, since I can answer all of them.

1. You have all the stuff you need to play the game.
The only differences in "dawn" and "Fire" were the planes provided. You will have SOME fighters and some dive bombers (stuka, val, dauntless).
The 'super important' stuff from the first game that most folks would want are the key early fighters-- Me109, Spitfire, Hurricane, Zero, Wildcat. All of these are available as minies.

I'm not clear on how many miniatures you bought. If you like minies and want to go that route, there is no need to buy the "extra packs' for the planes that they have minies of-- Me109 and Spitfire.

If you like playing with the cards, then those are good purchases. Last biplanes and Revolution will provide only (a total of) 3 more plane types and 2 different maneuver decks. Those and the Mess and Spits are the only booster packs for WW2.

For the original box (pre minies) I strongly urged folks to get the Me109 booster. Your original box has one Spitfire deck and 2 decks that could be used for the Hurricane. And one Me109 deck. So any "battle of britain" scenario you might want to do was pretty limited. But adding 3 109s (which came in the booster) really helped, and if you want 4 on 4 BoB, a couple of the Wildcats had British markings and there was a French plane also (which was also available as an Axis version).

If you like using the cards, then what you 'can't get' any more is just the cards and maneuver decks for the Hurricane, Wildcat, Zero, and an Italian plane I can't recall-- not one I ever heard of, and not really correct for the period covered in the first box. There are minies of the first 3 planes available (and were for sale from FFG last time I looked.)

Everything-- cards and minies-- from WoW or DoWW2, will be compatible with Wings of Glory.

Maybe told you more than you wanted to know. I think you'll be happy with what you got (and bet you'll wish you'd gotten more of the minies!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
thnx for the reply .

for me its all about the minis so that the route i want to go .

i got the following minis on order

1 spitfire
2 bf109's
1 stuka
1 d520
1 f4
1 huricane

do i need the extra deck packs to get maneuver decks to play any of these planes ?

also i recall reading the product description for one of the decks they were sold out of that it had 2 captured spitfires that the germans flew , do these just use the original stats , or do i need that deck set to use those stats ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Skupin
Germany
Hamm
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandInquisitorKris wrote:

do i need the extra deck packs to get maneuver decks to play any of these planes ?

also i recall reading the product description for one of the decks they were sold out of that it had 2 captured spitfires that the germans flew , do these just use the original stats , or do i need that deck set to use those stats ?

Minis come with the matching maneuver deck included.

The captured spitfires are part of the "Flying Legends" booster pack. They use the spitfire maneuver decks and have regular spitfire stats.

The minis have as well as the card versions slightly different stats representing variants of planes with different damage points and fire power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thnx for the answers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok , so it arrived today , and some yays some nays , and a another question .

first , a couple of the damage counters flaked while i was taking them off the sheets , is there a place that anyone knows that sells a replacement sheets or alternate damage chits ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not yet. But soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok , thnx .

came up with another question after going through the rule book . in regards to bombing , as i said i have the fire from the sky , and there is mention of bombing in it , but where do i find the bomb load rules as to what weight of bomb does what damage ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is left to players, according to the scenario. You can also copy/take inspiration from the scenarios included.

Giving instead general rules to cover from small bombs on a fighter to B-17 for any kind of targets seemed quite conceited and hopeless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok , thnx , i wasnt sure if i was missing something that might have been in the first box set .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.