Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JC Hendee
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The base starter deck for Talisman Tales is now complete. Due to file load issues and other considerations, I will not be linking it directly here; you will need to visit FantasticDiversions.com and its downloads page to preview the manual and download the package if it interests you. While you're there, you can check out the introduction article concerning this release and the future of this project, or even search for past articles about its development.

I know this may be seen by some as somewhat unethical in driving traffic away from the forum, but there it is. There are no logins or other requirements for accessing the files, so enjoy. Because of upload lockout on the Talisman file section here and the size of the package, there isn't anyway to make the file directly available at BGG. And since I'm the one paying for the file storage and bandwidth, a brief peek at my own site is not much to ask.

If you have questions or comments, you can feel free to post them here or send them in through my secured Contact form at the site. I'll be available either way. Be aware that my visits here are infrequent, so if you prefer to post questions here, it can take a couple of days for me to drop by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angantyr Fox
msg tools
Just love this one! Any chances of seeing further expansions to it? And are those cards meant as an improved replacement for your Spaces Expanders deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC Hendee
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi A.F.

Space Expanders was actually the first (and possibly last) cooperative fan expansion I ever ran over on the FFG Talisman forum. There was about a dozen people involved in varied degrees and ways.

So no, TT is not a replacement for that one. In fact, they can be played together for some rather adventurous fun. TT was mostly about putting something in the play of the game along the way, that's all. A few twists of fortune on the way to the CoC.

As to an expansion for the TT deck, likely not. Some of it is now inspiring cards for the Runebound Tales: In the Wild starter deck with four expansion packs to come. This project will also see a commercial quality printing at some time via a print-on-demand service somewhere. I'm testing out such possibilities in producing commercial quality stuff for Cities of Adventure Reference Cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angantyr Fox
msg tools
Hi JC, thanks for the clarification! These are some really great things you did to enhance those two boardgames
I'm just now trying to get some of this stuff printed I would definitely be into purchasing some of your Talisman stuff, if you ever reconsider commercial printing of those.

Keep up, thanks!
Angantyr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC Hendee
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As to P.O.D. on Talisman stuff, it would be limited in two ways...

1) Only stuff for which I created all content, including card templates, and there might be problems with copyright on some illustrations.

2) There are no P.O.D. outfits I have found that do Euro-mini (Talisman sized) cards; only one that does USA-mini cards, and those aren't the same dimensions.

It would be real problematic overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angantyr Fox
msg tools
Ah, I see! I didn't think about that. Thanks for your answer!
BTW, I have tried to print the starter deck on ISO A4 paper, and it keeps adding a white margin, thus resulting in smaller game cards. The Settlements expansion does not suffer from this problem, is there a differently formatted document?
Many thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC Hendee
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... I haven't heard about this before. One possibility is that the Settlements embedded image isn't as wide as the core cards layout. Try printing again and make sure that any resize setting in the print job / printer settings is turned off. Something is causing a resize during the printing process.

You might also look for settings related to "Full Bleed" and turn those on if present. That essentially does something similar to turning off resize. Not all printers have the same settings features or even use the same terminology in their interfaces. (Which can make life a real pain!)

Also consider going and having the printing done at places like Kinkos, Staples, etc. [And make sure they turn off resize.] They have better stock for full color, often offering different weights of photo paper as well. I usually can get this done for about $1 per sheet... and this is also how I test all of my PDFs before putting them up for download.

ADDITIONAL: If I ever find someplace to get Euro-Mini cards done, I will certainly make some of my fully autonomous Talisman stuff available that way. But don't hold your breath. I suppose doing some up for USA-mini (about 1/8th inch wider) is possible, since these cards aren't mixed with any of the game's core cards. I'll have to think about that later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angantyr Fox
msg tools
The starter deck resolution is so high-quality that my office & local copy shop printers think it's an A0 or similar size without resize, I get ~A6 huge single cards
I'll try re-.pdf'ing the whole file to "down"size it to A4 now.
A British guy here on the board has gotten some professional prints done, but I think he did the cutting al by himself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC Hendee
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like printer in question is not reading the PDF's dpi, which is set to 300. Also, it's a US 8.5"x11" page dimension, so that might be messing things up as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angantyr Fox
msg tools
It seems I will have to get some technical assistance and try again - 300 dpi should be optimal even for our old office printer, I will try setting it to US letter
Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC Hendee
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope it works out for you, and if so, you might mention here what you did... just in case others who come looking into this expansion have similar trouble.

I am considering the possibility of a commercially printed, NFP (not-for-profit) edition of this expansion in the near future. If so, the cards would be printed as USA-mini (not Euro-mini, like Talisman cards) at 1.75" x 2.5". More at another time or keep at eye out at FantasticDiversions.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angantyr Fox
msg tools
ah, now that sounds interesting! I'll definitely keep checking fd!
Btw, still no success, found out printers around "insist" on adding a white border with .pdfs, thus ensmalling the whole document while printing :/
Do you happen have a .jpg version of the sheets available? That should work better :/
Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC Hendee
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, A.F., but I don't have JPG sheets available at this time... and no time to prep some at present. Overall, I've stopped doing pure JPG on large projects with originally created templates and custom illustrations. I have had too many instances of my stuff being cut up and used not as intended... sometimes for some else selling what they make out of it. In two case, some actually tried to sell P.O.D. versions of my free stuff. The lawyers took care of one who didn't respond to my email warning.

It is very strange the problem you ran into. I would have to say the print shop personnel are just being lazy. It takes no more that two or three clicks of settings in the print management interface to set to full bleed print. In the past, I ran an IT outfit with many AEC clients who have massive size printing equipment to be mantained. I know how these machines work from my IT days over a decade ago, and the machines have come a long way since then.

The output will have white borders, as a "printer" or color "copy" machine does not actually print full bleed. The edges of the image are cropped off, but I always do a layout that accounts for this so no part of the cards are lost. Keep looking for a better print shop if you can, or hold out until I can get around to working up P.O.D. version of the cards you are after.

Best, JC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angantyr Fox
msg tools
yes, there's a lot of stealing basxxxxx out there
BTW, succeeded! Yay! I had my own office machine print the starter deck as a "US letter" format onto A3 paper and zoom to 24%. (the silly thing prior to that automatically had zoomed to 23% to avoid 'cropping' the white margins your layout included anyway, resulting in the slightly too small cards). So happy me, this will do a very fine job until maybe your POD comes around

Many thanks again, and keep dashing out such great concepts!
Best,
AF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC Hendee
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you found the solution, A.F.! I knew that had to be someone around it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.