GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,456 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

The Dungeon of D» Forums » General

Subject: How Do I Start the Digital Versions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to try the game out without investing in a physical copy just yet.

I found the link to the BRPG version, installed, and loaded it without luck. The third post in the news thread here links to a free download purporting to be the client required to play the DoD module although the download page for the module itself indicates that the GM Client is needed. I guess the it really is since the cards didn't appear on the board.

Given my frustration there, I downloaded Cyberboard and the DoD module for it. I can't get the cards to appear on the board there either. Whereas the DoD instructions for BRPG were insufficient, the instructions for Cyberboard appear to be nonexistent.

I poked a bit through the forums here and didn't find anything. Does anyone know if there are any DoD instructions for Cyberboard users?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The BRPG version is for people who already own a BRPG GM Client. If you don't have a license, downloading the DoD conversion won't do you any good. It says as much right in the thread were you downloaded it from, so I don't quite follow your "frustration" with the "insufficient" instructions.

The good news is that Dungeon of D digital conversion is now also available for use in my other virtual tabletop software, Battlegrounds Gaming Engine (aka BGE). The DoD conversion for BGE can be downloaded from here. Once again, though, it won't do you any good without a license for the software (licenses start as $15 for a 2-player version). On the other hand, once you have a license, you can play a bunch of other games with it, or create your own digital game conversions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clevider wrote:
...although the download page for the module itself indicates that the GM Client is needed. I guess that it really is since the cards didn't appear on the board.

heruca wrote:
...I don't quite follow your "frustration" with the "insufficient" instructions.

I had momentary second thoughts at the time about using the word "frustration," but I was tired and couldn't think of an adequate synonym right off the bat. I meant only that my attempts had failed, not that I was angry. I had no intent to offend.

As for the instructions, I was confused for a while because Jack's page links directly to what I therefore initially assumed was the software I needed for his game. I eventually concluded that it must be a player client, but it wasn't obvious to me since it isn't immediately distinguishable from the GM Client (which isn't mentioned either there or in the module's readme). It is clearly marked as a beta, but since those are sometimes free whereas the release version is not, I went ahead and incorrectly entertained the possibility that it was indeed the software indicated on the module page.

As for BGE, it looks neat and $15 is cheap but I'm not yet sure I even like solitaire games (hence my current investigation of free PnPs). I'll keep it in mind as a later possibility, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.