GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,455 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Worker placement game for 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benoit Flageol
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
I'm looking for a good worker placement game that works good with 2 players. I'm looking for a light to medium game, I don't want something heavy.

Edit: At the moment, Stone Age is my #1 choice.

Still considering Belfort but I'm not really sure...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age. No contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Egizia with 2 players. This may be a bit heavier than you want but check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agricola is also fine with 2 players.
And i dont see it as a heavy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Stone Age. No contest.

Agreed.

I will also put forth Belfort for consideration. It is definitely on the heavier side of medium, but still medium. It is also great with two.

There are additional rules for two players, and they are easy to implement and remember. They also add more strategy to the two player game.

That being said, my fiance and I play without the additional rules as often as we play with them. The game still works and is still quite fun and competitive. There is more room to maneuver and explore the game - which is sometimes exactly what you need with a two player game.

Belfort is a great worker placement game for two.

We also really enjoyed Ninjato, but have only played it once, and it puts a non-traditional spin on worker placement.

I also think that Alien Frontiers is a fantastic game with two.

We tried Fresco and found that the additional rules for two player were obtrusive and unfun. We played it once and traded it away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
I enjoy both, but was initially quite disappointed with Stone Age; it's a very strategic game (there's almost no tactical decision-making; you pick a direction early on and stick to it), and the resources feel very interchangeable; they have different valuations, but there' no reason why you would use wood in one place and gold in another, other than that they cost more/less. Once you've internalized these things though, you get a very tight game, with well-balanced mechanics and gorgeous art.

Fresco on the other hand is accessible from the very first moment, and has a theme that actually maps to the components. Tactical and strategic decisions are much better balanced in this game, and the mini-expansions allow for quite some replayability and the ability to play the game at different complexity levels. I also really enjoy the strategic depth Leonardo gives to the 2-player game of Fresco; it's much more enjoyable than the similar role Dirk plays in Alhambra.

As an alternative to those two I'd recommend taking a look at Glen More as well. It's not worker placement, but it is a swift-playing medium weight game which plays beautifully with two, and does everything right as far as mechanics and replayability goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EuroPeon
United States
flag msg tools
Quote:
As an alternative to those two I'd recommend taking a look at Glen More as well. It's not worker placement, but it is a swift-playing medium weight game which plays beautifully with two, and does everything right as far as mechanics and replayability goes.
I would readily agree with your recommendation, but I wouldn't say it's not worker placement.

I'd say the rondel mechanic as implemented in Glen More is a specific type of worker placement. And we all know that being technically correct is the best type of correct.

I think they scratch the same itch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Stone Age is definitely our go to light 2p worker placement game. My wife and I will play several times a week just having fun and trying to buy as many cards as possible

I think Agricola plays VERY well two player and you can fit in several games in a 90 min period if the players are moving quickly. It is more stressful than Stone Age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Flageol
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
What about Stone Age VS Kingsburg?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wynne
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Wynners Circle Games
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:
[q="Geosphere"]

Belfort is a great worker placement game for two.

i just got this not to long ago and also vote for belfort...the woman and i like it a bunch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some of my favorites:

1. Stone Age
2. Carson City (River side board)
3. Egizia
4. Small World (w/Tales & Legends expansion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nidale wrote:
What about Stone Age VS Kingsburg?

No contest IMO.....STONE AGE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that The Pillars of the Earth works quite well with 2, using this...

2 player, fewer MB spots

I prefer it to stone age.

Then there's the ultimate worker placement that no none else has mentioned yet, Caylus, which I enjoy as 2-player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Flageol
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for all the replies. I definitely prefer Stone Age.

Before making my finale choice, I would like to hear what you think of Stone Age VS Agricola. Is Agricola too heavy in comparaison of stone age?

What I like about Stone Age is:
-beautiful art
-theme
-worker placement
-play in an hour
-seem to have some luck in it (dices)

I like when there's some luck in my games. (I really like Innovation, King of Tokyo, Day & Night).

So I guess I would be interested in Agricola only if there's some luck in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is some luck in Agricola, in the cards you receive in the beginning of the game, as well as the order which the main play cards are flipped each game.

Agricola is not terribly heavy, but I would definitely say its heavier than Stone Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Carson City on the river side

What about Assyria? I've never played it but it seems kind of interesting.

Also I enjoy Troyes but it may be too heavy and too long.

Yspahan is another nice alternative as there is some cube placement and some luck too in under and hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
provence wrote:
What about Assyria? I've never played it but it seems kind of interesting.

I definitely like Assyria so it has my "+1" but I've never really thought of it as a "worker placement" game... mainly because in my perception of that specific mechanic, you'd have to have specialized locations on the board which no (or few) other players would be able to use when you take that spot.

While this is SORT OF true in Assyria — you have dignitaries where you can place huts (your "workers") that give you a benefit — (1) it's relatively easy for multiple people to get the same benefit unless you go to the major effort of occupying ALL the spots, and (2) those benefits can be gotten other ways (victory points, camels, plow cards).

As to placing huts on the map, it feels more like Area Control / Area Influence than Worker Placement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't think there's much luck beyond the cards in Agricola. Stone Age has a neat almost gambling feel where you really can push your luck and succeed.

I love the Stone Age board. I always take a few minutes and study it. I often find some art on it that I didn't know (there's a guy lying and I swear he's the only one).

Stone Age sounds like the right choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Greenlee
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nidale wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I definitely prefer Stone Age.

Before making my finale choice, I would like to hear what you think of Stone Age VS Agricola. Is Agricola too heavy in comparaison of stone age?

What I like about Stone Age is:
-beautiful art
-theme
-worker placement
-play in an hour
-seem to have some luck in it (dices)

I like when there's some luck in my games. (I really like Innovation, King of Tokyo, Day & Night).

So I guess I would be interested in Agricola only if there's some luck in the game.

I own Stone Age and your summary of it is dead on. It does involve some luck but i like it a lot. Agricola is definitly a good game to but much more complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sant
United States
Easton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Mendez
United States
Eau Claire
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Stone Age. Much better than Agricola or Pillars for two players. ... and I have played the three of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay I
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would choose Stone Age if:
Randomness is very important. It is not incredibly random, but it is more random than Agricola.
Your audience will be changing and you'll have to teach the game to new people all the time.
Having the lighter game is very important.
Cost is a concern.

I would choose Agricola if:
You want the better overall game.
You will have the same players all the time, because I find it has more replayability.
You value versatility. The game changes as you add more players, and you can choose to use different card decks or no decks at all.
You think you would want to play solo as Agricola has solitaire rules.

Agricola is the heavier game, but I feel that the theme fits it so well, that the weight is not at all overbearing. I have taught it to many non-gamers. That said, I have had eyes glaze over a few times.

Something that I didn't see mentioned is that Agricola has a set of family rules which takes out the Improvement and Occupation cards and cuts down on the complexity quite a bit. Doing so does take out some of the randomness, though. With the family version of the rules, I don't think the difference in weight between it and Stone Age is all that significant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Flageol
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks again. I'm still more interested in Stone Age.

The last game I'm interested in is Alien Frontiers. Is it good with 2? Is it heavier than Stone Age? (It looks like there's more choice to make in Alien Frontiers)

Alien Frontiers looks more like an area control game with a worker placement mechanic, but I like that. I like that there's luck in it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Nidale wrote:

The last game I'm interested in is Alien Frontiers. Is it good with 2? Is it heavier than Stone Age? (It looks like there's more choice to make in Alien Frontiers)

Alien Frontiers looks more like an area control game with a worker placement mechanic, but I like that. I like that there's luck in it too.

AF is just okay with 2p. Some would say it's heavier than Stone Age, but I think it's about on par. Much more downtime with AF if that's not your thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Flageol
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
she2 wrote:
Nidale wrote:

AF is just okay with 2p. Some would say it's heavier than Stone Age, but I think it's about on par. Much more downtime with AF if that's not your thing.

You're right, I came to the same conclusion after reading that article, and I hate downtimes: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/729482/alien-frontiers-after...

So I guess I'll go with Stone Age, unless Belfort is less heavy than I think (I really like the theme in Belfort, but there's seem to be zero luck in it, that's what bugging me about Belfort at the moment).

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.