Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you Order a unit to MOVE and not actually expend movement points so he qualifies for the ASSAULT FIRE action, and then subsequently toss a SUSTAINED FIRE Action on the pile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
O14.4-Once an Order is given, at least one
of the units activated for that Order must
physically carry it out.

If a Move Order is given, at least one activated
unit must physically cross a hexside
into another hex - you couldn’t give a Move
Order for the sole purpose of playing an
Assault Fire Action, for example.

I can't tell you how many times I've wished I could do what you describe!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
Can you Order a unit to MOVE and not actually expend movement points so he qualifies for the ASSAULT FIRE action, and then subsequently toss a SUSTAINED FIRE Action on the pile?

Nope. If you give a unit a move order he has to physically move at least one space. However you can use the Assault Fire and Sustained Fire actions prior to leaving the hex he is in/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so that is sort of like guns blazing as you're running out of the building to cross the street!

Thanks!

p.s.: That rules quote would be soooo much more useful under O21. Move. I'm sure I can imply it from what is there but it seems like such a common tactic to want to try especially if you are up at the front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember though, If you activate more than one unit at a time to move only ONE of them has to actually move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...which Trenches come in handy for. Most fun I've had with them is using them to shuttle down and Assault Fire a FT, then scuttle back out of the way, all without allowing Op Fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:

Nope. If you give a unit a move order he has to physically move at least one space. However you can use the Assault Fire and Sustained Fire actions prior to leaving the hex he is in/

So tactically, I can play a MOVE order and an ASSAULT FIRE action and SUSTAINED FIRE action, blaze away without moving out of the hex I started in, then move away?

Sounds like CC:E's version of skulking.

So then, how does CROSSFIRE for the player not on move work in that situation? Does he get the shot in? I would assume yes for the same reasons since you've "activated" the unit to MOVE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, Crossfire's verbiage mentions "moving"(i.e. new hex but not advancing) rather than "Move Order".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Heimburger
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
mcszarka wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:

So tactically, I can play a MOVE order and an ASSAULT FIRE action and SUSTAINED FIRE action, blaze away without moving out of the hex I started in, then move away?

So then, how does CROSSFIRE for the player not on move work in that situation? Does he get the shot in? I would assume yes for the same reasons since you've "activated" the unit to MOVE.

Op fire only comes into play when the other player actually expends MPs. So you could use Crossfire once a unit actually changes hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:

The inactive player only gets to op-fire when a new hex is entered by the active player's MOVE order, so Crossfire couldn't be used until the player could op-fire anyway.

Quote:
O21.3 Opportunity Fire & Movement
The inactive player may use Op Fire [A33]
against the active player’s moving units each
time they enter a new hex.

Quote:
Crossfire may only be played just prior to the
player making a Fire Attack Roll, and only
when firing at one or more moving [O21] units.

The units aren't moving until they actually move into a hex. Before that, they are simply activated to move.

Cheers!

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
markgravitygood wrote:
p.s.: That rules quote would be soooo much more useful under O21. Move.

While the example given is specific to MOVE, the actual rule (O14.4) applies to ALL orders in the game, including ADVANCE, FIRE, ARTILLERY REQUEST, etc. It avoids playing a a card for an order, doing nothing to get a free "discard".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. So, the only way to get ARTILLERY REQUEST in FAT LIPKI (Scenario 1) out of my hand is either as part of the O15 Pass or play the action on the card legally?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Correct.

And should you get a Radio during the course of the scenario (e.g. Reinforcements Event) you can then play the order legally as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Longtime Gamer
United States
Bellows Falls
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
mcszarka wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:

I've used it quite effectively (if I have the cards, of course) when I know I'm about to be Assaulted by a larger force. I blast away using every legal card, then moved back, preferably into deep cover to mitigate any op-fire. I should mention that I attempt to move out of the LOS of my opponent's unhappy assault force eliminating any chance of Op-Fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hexagony wrote:

I've used it quite effectively (if I have the cards, of course) when I know I'm about to be Assaulted by a larger force. I blast away using every legal card, then moved back, preferably into deep cover to mitigate any op-fire. I should mention that I attempt to move out of the LOS of my opponent's unhappy assault force eliminating any chance of Op-Fire.

Remember that as the attacker moving, even out of LOS of the enemy, can move you into wire or mines.

There is an instance where a player can play a move card and not move any of his units.

A player plays a move order and activates one broken unit followed immediately by an assault action. The current Fire/Defend brings up an event or sniper trigger which eliminates the yet to be moved unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
whatambush wrote:
hexagony wrote:

Remember that as the attacker moving, even out of LOS of the enemy, can move you into wire or mines.

There is an instance where a player can play a move card and not move any of his units.

A player plays a move order and activates one broken unit followed immediately by an assault action.
The current Fire/Defend brings up an event or sniper trigger which eliminates the yet to be moved unit.

I'm not sure about this. IIRC no CC:E units have boxed FP on their broken side, so this Order/Action combo isn't possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JMcL63 wrote:
whatambush wrote:
hexagony wrote:

A player plays a move order and activates one broken unit followed immediately by an assault action.
The current Fire/Defend brings up an event or sniper trigger which eliminates the yet to be moved unit.

I'm not sure about this. IIRC no CC:E units have boxed FP on their broken side, so this Order/Action combo isn't possible.

Yes you are correct John.
Let me rethink this one
A full strength unit that plays a Move order followed by an Assault action becomes broken due to the defender getting a sniper event. The attacker becomes broken and because of the low movement allowance can not move due to the terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Another way assault fire can occur with no movement: as part of resolving assault fire before the physical movement, a blaze appears in such a way that eliminates the unit ordered to move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So really, there must be "intent to move" even though there are occasions where a unit cannot actually fulfill that if they assault fire first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Komodo wrote:
Remember though, If you activate more than one unit at a time to move only ONE of them has to actually move.

Just to clarify, as long as one activated unit moves, another unit activated with that same Movement Order could execute an Assault Fire action without ever moving, correct? The rules are clear, but there are many details to get my head around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, Colorado_Jeff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.