Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Milvus
Ireland
Wicklow Town
Co. Wicklow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the subject line says it all. While I like the look of Ravenloft, the story doesn't really interest me and I had never heard of Drizzit or Ashardalon before the games came out. The D&D world I do know and love is Dragonlance.

I am of the opinion that this is a popular branch of D&D, yet there is only one Dragonlance game. It's years old, I remember when it came out. It looked like it sucked then and it does't look like it has gotten any better with age. What I would love is a Dragonlance game where I can be Tanis or Tas or Raistlin and go exploring. Anyone know if that is likely to happen?

One can dream eh?

Cheers,

Milvus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
supposedly that was the next IP WOTC was going to do.
Not sure if they are going to take the D&D solo dungeon approach or some kind of wargame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't Margaret Weis own Dragonlance?

I loved DMimg Dragonlance back in the day, but WotC hasn't touched it at all since D&D4e rolled out to my knowledge. And believe me, they have gone all the way back to the late 1970s republishing every single trademark the game ever generated. It is puzzling to me that Dragonlance has been skipped over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
awp243 wrote:
Well the subject line says it all. While I like the look of Ravenloft, the story doesn't really interest me and I had never heard of Drizzit or Ashardalon before the games came out. The D&D world I do know and love is Dragonlance.

I am of the opinion that this is a popular branch of D&D, yet there is only one Dragonlance game. It's years old, I remember when it came out. It looked like it sucked then and it does't look like it has gotten any better with age. What I would love is a Dragonlance game where I can be Tanis or Tas or Raistlin and go exploring. Anyone know if that is likely to happen?

One can dream eh?

Cheers,

Milvus.

prolly just a dream
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Disregard, I'm a dumbass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RPG Fan
msg tools
hskrfn822 wrote:
Doubtful. WotC chose not to renew their license to publish Dragonlance stuff when 4th ed came out. If the setting isn't a part of 4th ed, you won't see a board game based on it.

Oh, and the Hickmans own it still, with much cooperation from Weis.

That is incorrect. WotC owns the license.

WotC allowed Weis Productions, or Sovereign Press, I forget which to finish printing DL content through the end of 2008 and after that it stopped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mind if i ask you for a source RPG Fan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milvus
Ireland
Wicklow Town
Co. Wicklow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:

Never mind a source! At least he is giving us hope

Well there are some differing opinions out there, I asked the question as I thought I had at some point read Dragonlance was on the cards for WOTC. Doesn't appear to be that simple though unfortunately.

Maybe I should hunt down that sad looking 1988 game shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:

Dragonlance was created for TSR, from concepts by Hickman. Weis was brought in to co-write the novels, and my impression is she had very little to do with the actual game material (modules, hardcovers, etc.). She wasn't hired by TSR for gaming acumen.

Neither Hickman nor Weis own the license (though I'm sure they wish they did). The DL license transferred to WOTC when they bought out TSR. Since then, WOTC has let the license gather dust, with the exception of novels, reprints and repackaging (notably to a middle grade and YA audience!), and granting the game rights to Weis's Sovereign Press for D20 materials.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonlance

The situation is pretty much identical to the DC and Marvel Universe - except, I don't think either Hickman nor Weis even have individual character rights (otherwise, Raistlin would probably have about 4 dozen books across the multiverse by now...)

To my knowledge, WOTC did not renew the license agreement with Sovereign Press when it lapsed a number of years ago. Probably a good thing, because I see no conceivable way how the DL universe would work under the 4E ruleset.

DL is probably one of the worst managed properties in the history of fantasy media, with possible exception to Conan. The animated movie was a travesty, and I'm still dumbfounded as to why Hollywood hasn't snatched up the first two trilogies for big-budget treatment... especially after LOTR and HP. Are they the best written books out there? No, but they have a huge audience and they would distill VERY well to other media - TV, video games, etc.

Talk about a ball-drop...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:

DL is probably one of the worst managed properties in the history of fantasy media, with possible exception to Conan. The animated movie was a travesty, and I'm still dumbfounded as to why Hollywood hasn't snatched up the first two trilogies for big-budget treatment... especially after LOTR and HP. Are they the best written books out there? No, but they have a huge audience and they would distill VERY well to other media - TV, video games, etc.

Talk about a ball-drop...

Yup. cry I don't know that the Legends trilogy would translate to the big screen well, but the Chronicles trilogy would have been perfect. I still can't believe how badly they screwed up that animated abomination, or that Tracy Hickman was defending it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milvus
Ireland
Wicklow Town
Co. Wicklow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what animated film you're talking about (only because I successfully purged all details of it from my memory in a very painful but worthwhile process!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Re: Are WOTC going to do a Dragonlance game?
G*M*S Magazine just did an episode last month in which Paco interviewed Margaret Weis. She talks a little about how TSR owned the license. It's an interesting interview and worth listening to.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepodcastepisode/67097/t...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awp243 wrote:
[q="Cracky"]
Maybe I should hunt down that sad looking 1988 game shake

You're not missing much, unfortunately.

Hmmm, if Wizards had just made all the Companions for D&D Miniatures, we'd have that game at least for some decent DL action. All those years and only two minis? What a bummer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
To my knowledge, WOTC did not renew the license agreement with Sovereign Press when it lapsed a number of years ago. Probably a good thing, because I see no conceivable way how the DL universe would work under the 4E ruleset.

Why not?... i could run a Dragonlance 4e campaign, no doubt about it.

What will be a drag is if Wizards just releases a D&D boardgame version of DL and calls it a day. They pretty much did this with Castle Ravenloft. (Unless there's a bunch of 4e CR content on DDI i haven't seen yet)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
Quote:

Why not?... i could run a Dragonlance 4e campaign, no doubt about it.

My opinion, obviously - but Dragonlance (aka Project Overlord, IIRC) was created by TSR to emphasize and support AD&D materials. The world is heavily influenced by the mechanics, and is informed by Tolkien-derived fantasy lit. It REALLY belongs with the AD&D 1 and second Ed ruleset - and some extent 3E. I just doing think the magic, cosmology, and focus on more modern MMORPG "roles" translates will to DL. Striker? Controller? Etc. I just can't see the characters in the novels distilled in this way, and since the world is now more informed by the novels than the AD&D campaign materials - well, like I said - I just don't see it. Others more versed with 4E may disagree.

Really - what I think WOTC should or should have done - was integrate a stripped down 4E (a la encounters) with the DL world, rather than making the mechanic books and campaign worlds separate. This would have been especially useful for courting the YA and middle grade markets they seemed to be re-targeting with the IP for a awhile there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep hoping as well that hollywood will grab the rights to Dragonlance and do it justice. I mean post-harry potter and post-lotr. Hollywood was scrambling to grab any fantasy series up for grabs.

Twilight
Eragon
Golden Compass
Game of Thrones
Hobbit

any various others.

But dragonlance has been forgotten about, sadly.

On a side note, when I worked at a book store outside of Toronto. Margaret Weis was coming to Toronto for some convention, I convinced her to come to my store (which was out of the way) and I would set it all up. Which meant my manager had to get involved (and as much as she aws a great manager, she totally dropped the ball on this opportunity). It was also company policy that we could not make our own signs, we had to go through our head office, which meant getting approval for the whole thing (which would have been a month+ of red tape. When I only had two weeks). Plus we had to then get our regional manager involved, who was a complete and total ass, bent on creating problems for his own personal enjoyment.

So in the end, it all fell apart. Which really frustrated me and jaded me about the way companies worked. I had a hard line on getting a noted author to do a booksigning at my store, and I couldn't do a thing about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:

On a side note, when I worked at a book store outside of Toronto. Margaret Weis was coming to Toronto for some convention, I convinced her to come to my store (which was out of the way) and I would set it all up. Which meant my manager had to get involved (and as much as she aws a great manager, she totally dropped the ball on this opportunity). It was also company policy that we could not make our own signs, we had to go through our head office, which meant getting approval for the whole thing (which would have been a month+ of red tape. When I only had two weeks). Plus we had to then get our regional manager involved, who was a complete and total ass, bent on creating problems for his own personal enjoyment.

So in the end, it all fell apart. Which really frustrated me and jaded me about the way companies worked. I had a hard line on getting a noted author to do a booksigning at my store, and I couldn't do a thing about it.

One of the many reasons I try to support locally-owned non-chain businesses. They way companies work is literally insane.
I went to a Books-a-million once, and they had a big stand-up poster sign outside the store on the sidewalk advertising raspberry lemonade frosties. Perfect for a hot day in Florida! I asked for one at the cafe, and the guy said they were out, and had been out for several days. I pointed out that they might want to take the sign down, and he said it was out there because it was a "corporate requirement" and he'd get in trouble if he removed it. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember reading something that the last of the Lost Chronicles series (Dragons of the Hourglass Mage) was the end of Weis and Hickman's involvement in the series.

As much as I would love it to return, I doubt it ever will. An entry into the current DnD board game series would be fantastic. I'd love to play through the Test, or protect the High Clerist's tower, or recovering the discs from Pax Tharkas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure Hollywood would be more than happy to buy up movie rights for Dragonlance, much like the other literary settings listed previously.

The trick would be dealing with IP owners who have their act together, like the other literary settings listed previously.

Hence, no Dragonlance movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be fun to see an updated version of this game:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dopehatman wrote:
I remember reading something that the last of the Lost Chronicles series (Dragons of the Hourglass Mage) was the end of Weis and Hickman's involvement in the series.

As much as I would love it to return, I doubt it ever will. An entry into the current DnD board game series would be fantastic. I'd love to play through the Test, or protect the High Clerist's tower, or recovering the discs from Pax Tharkas.

I remember hearing something that Weis and Hickman had some big falling out, then got back together... What was that about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
Would be fun to see an updated version of this game:

I used to own this.

It was an "ok" game. You could definitely have fun with this.
It had a real problem with the components, the dragon "altitude" towers were prone to knock offs.
Outside that problem, i found this to be a very enjoyable game, though definitely not a game to obsess about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Dragonlance and some wargames I suggest:

Dragons of Glory

It is a great wargame that was originally part of the module series. (played thru them all!) I still have my copy.... I don't know how hard it is to find. The game allows you to play thru the War of the Lance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:

The trick would be dealing with IP owners who have their act together, like the other literary settings listed previously.

Hence, no Dragonlance movie.

But WOTC's parent company is the poster child for turning IPs into movies: Transformers, GI Joe - I mean, when they're making a movie out of "Battleship," you gotta think they're scraping the bottom of the barrel there, unless they feel name recognition alone sells enough tickets to support a $200 million movie.

Was the D&D movie prior to the Hasbro buy-out? If so, I can understand why the execution of the IP was soooo poor. But in the current entertainment world where they're making new movies out of Eragon and Conan, and making TV shows out of Legend of the Seeker and Game of Thrones, I'd think Hasbro would be putting Dragonlance on the front lines with an A-list production team.

At some point - I think after Fellowship of the Ring debuted - there was even talk of a Forgotten Realms TV show. How cool would it have been to see an ongoing series like that?

So much of the visualization and development work of DL has already been done and defined... Again - I'm still perplexed. As far back as 1992 I was thinking that if I ever graduated film school I was going to movie-up the first two trilogies. Chronicles, note for note, is every bit as dramatic, entertaining, and movie-ready as the original Star Wars trilogy - right down to the Vader darkness-tempted character, comic relief, large battles, and three-part structure.

Plus - it's got boffo name recognition, oodles of support merchandising backlog - and is just enough removed from the D&D brand to not have that "geek taint" for the mass audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
I used to own this.

It was an "ok" game. You could definitely have fun with this.
It had a real problem with the components, the dragon "altitude" towers were prone to knock offs.
Outside that problem, i found this to be a very enjoyable game, though definitely not a game to obsess about.

I still own it - it's hidden beneath stacks of other game boxes meeple
Just because of the points you made I'd wish for a fine company (e.g. FFG) to pick it up and update it to today's gaming standards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.