Leeko DaNinja
msg tools
to switch up all the FFA, like a 2vs2vs2 starks/greyjoys vs lannister/tyrell vs baratheon/martell. Instead of getting 7 castles to win its 14 total. What do you guys think is this possible? and is it fair to each of those teams, is anyone at a disadvantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
Interesting idea. Any particular reason why you want to do this?

You could just say that if either member of the team wins, the whole team wins. That means you wouldn't have to change the victory conditions for the game at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The words "permanent" and "team" should never be used together in any AGoT discussion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean O
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gylthinel wrote:
You could just say that if either member of the team wins, the whole team wins. That means you wouldn't have to change the victory conditions for the game at all.

I don't think that would work, as then one player could just withdraw from certain areas part way though the game and gift them to their teammate for an easy win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Corbett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play Axis and allies if you want permanent teams. This game involves diplomacy. It would ruin the spirit of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leeko DaNinja
msg tools
Grayle84 wrote:
Play Axis and allies if you want permanent teams. This game involves diplomacy. It would ruin the spirit of the game.

I know this game involves diplomacy but like I said to switch up the FFA games that everyone normally does. This board game I think supports that with the ability to support your ally directly with the support tokens. Plus I feel having a teammate with you can bring up new strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I think that, they way you want to split it up, it takes a lot of the tension and strategy out of the game.

Forgetting for a second the fact that you no longer have shifting alliances and diplomacy, you're creating a board where there are singular borders for 1 of the 3 teams. Stark/Greyjoy will have a solid line and only have to defend to their south. Whereas Bara/Martell and Lanni/Tyrell will have someone to their north and to their east/west. The asymmetries are balanced in the base game by allowing for shifting alliances. Without those, I fear that they'll take over and dominate your proposed game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pickard
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try looking at Dune for this. Alliances are enforced, but can change when a "nexus" occurs. Perhaps the GoT "nexus" could be the Wildling attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leeko DaNinja
msg tools
I am not trying to look for another board game. Its just a different way to play this board game because it supports alliances. Yes its better to play the game as a FFA and forging temporary alliances. I am just trying a different style for a game or two to see how it is. But from seeing mostly negative responses it may not even be a good idea to bring up in my gaming group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As most others have been saying, I really think the idea would kill the spirit of the game. Permanent teams such as that would effectively just make it into a 3 player game which isn't the best way to play something like this.

If you were still keen on the permanent alliance sort of thing, the only thing I'd suggest would be a variant that allows any player who is eliminated from the game to join the player who defeated him. You'd have to figure out how you'd want to replenish his troops and other balancing issues but I find something like that more in the spirit of the game as opposed to what you're suggesting.

Also, just a note, I believe the guy above you wasn't suggesting you play Dune instead of AGoT but only that you look at how that game does its alliance mechanic and try applying that to your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.