GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,405 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a first draft and brainstorming session for designing such a thing. I am not a fan of the CFB at all, but I do understand why most people prefer to play with it.

1) It eliminates the chance of jump cycles without any pressure in space.
2) It gives Revealed Cylons more options.

This is my attempt to address these issues, without having to remove the Cylon Attacks from the crisis deck, and the resulting de-emphasization of scouting. As the original BB, a Cylon may pick two of four options.

UPDATED

A) Remove 1 basestar from the game board. Then place 1 basestar in sector 2.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
(Actually, now that I checked up on it, there seems to be no precise official terminology for the different space areas.)

It's necessary to keep this action from making either Broadcast Location or Cavil's Primacy obsolete, especially as you can combine it with another action on the BB. Therefore, the placement is less advantageous to the Cylons. You can call in a basestar when there are none on the board, or you can use it to effectively repair a damaged one. You can never bring a second basestar to the board with this if there isn't already one there.

B) Remove all heavy raiders from the game board. Then place 1 heavy raider in front of Galactica and 1 heavy raider in sector 3.
Heavy raiders aren't often a concern in the base game, but if it's your turn early in a jump cycle, you can put some pressure on the humans. Again, you deliberately can't use this action multiple times to flood the board with heavies, but the threat of centurions boarding if two or three heavy activations come up before the fleet jumps should keep the pilots occupied somewhat.

C) Choose a space area without any vipers or civilian ships in it. Move all raiders in this space area to an adjacent space area, clockwise or counter-clockwise.
Once a decent-sized fleet is already on the board, I don't intend that the BB should often take precedent over the regular Cylon Fleet location. You may use this to set up a pincer attack, instead of the usual merry-go-round. I'm not yet sure how useful this would be in actuality.

D) Look at the back of 2 civilian ships.
Again, this isn't spectacular. You can use this to identify high or low-value targets. Secrecy rules do still apply, but if you have a Cylon partner, you can still recommend to target a particular ship first, or last, when the time comes to destroy civvies.

So, as you can see, a rough first second draft. Any feedback?

Eventually, I intend to tweak this variant so it also allows the use of an alternate CAG title and the MkVII vipers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannibal Rex wrote:
This is a first draft and brainstorming session for designing such a thing. I am not a fan of the CFB at all, but I do understand why most people prefer to play with it.

1) It eliminates the chance of jump cycles without any pressure in space.
2) It gives Revealed Cylons more options.

This is my attempt to address these issues, without having to remove the Cylon Attacks from the crisis deck, and the resulting de-emphasization of scouting. As the original BB, a Cylon may pick two of four options.

A) Remove 1 basestar from the game board. Then place 1 basestar in sector 2, and 1 civilian ship in sector 5.
(Actually, now that I checked up on it, there seems to be no precise official terminology for the different space areas.)

It's necessary to keep this action from making either Broadcast Location or Cavil's Primacy obsolete, especially as you can combine it with another action on the BB. Therefore, the placement is less advantageous to the Cylons. You can call in a basestar when there are none on the board, or you can use it to effectively repair a damaged one. You can never bring a second basestar to the board with this if there isn't already one there. You place a civilian ship, but it is usually easily defended.

B) Remove all heavy raiders from the game board. Then place 1 heavy raider in front of Galactica and 1 heavy raider behind Galactica.
Heavy raiders aren't often a concern in the base game, but if it's your turn early in a jump cycle, you can put some pressure on the humans. Again, you deliberately can't use this action multiple times to flood the board with heavies, but the threat of 2 centurions boarding if two more heavy activations come up before the fleet jumps should keep the pilots occupied somewhat.

C) Choose a space area without any vipers or civilian ships in it. Move all raiders in this space area to an adjacent space area, clockwise or counter-clockwise.
Once a decent-sized fleet is already on the board, I don't intend that the BB should often take precedent over the regular Cylon Fleet location. You may use this to set up a pincer attack, instead of the usual merry-go-round. I'm not yet sure how useful this would be in actuality.

D) Look at the back of 2 civilian ships.
Again, this isn't spectacular. You can use this to identify high or low-value targets. Secrecy rules do still apply, but if you have a Cylon partner, you can still recommend to target a particular ship first, or last, when the time comes to destroy civvies.

So, as you can see, a rough first draft. Any feedback?

Eventually, I intend to tweak this variant so it also allows the use of an alternate CAG title and the MkVII vipers.

A- B-
DUe to the wordings and consistencies, should you add text like "if you do such and such" to show that removing heavies is required for putting 2 out (front and back?)

In the interest of fairness, shouldn't (#A) Cavil hold more power with manipulating cylon ships? It's not as bad for him perse since he'll also have to fulfill an agenda, which is more often tied to resources and other conditions before the cylons win. THe cylons just want to outright win, which seems will skew their actions to this.

C- SUre, revealed cylons can now manually punch raiders to act. I do like how this way you can actually control them more directly. It seems like it throws a curveball into the mix w/o it being OP.

D- reminds me of Shipyard (cylon) from NC. It's "iffy"... just like many other things in the game really, such as scouting, FTL Control, tanking a skill check, etc. WOuld only be useful if comparisons of 2 civvy ships yield differnces... (blank vs. 1pop, 1-pop vs. 1-pop+, or vs. 2 pop). I guess you could try to bluff their overimportance if you can pull that sort of thing off.

AFAI can tell, nothing appears to be horribly broken, so unless someone else chimes in otherwise, it's worth a few playtests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Cylon Fleet Module because in addition to your A) and B) it also removes
C)4 of the top 6 crises are Cylon Attack Cards and the game ends before the first jump.

That being said I do enjoy games with the CAC because it does place emphasis back on scouting where with the Cylon Fleet Module scouting is definitely more on the back burner.

My critiques:

A)This would almost always be one of my choices, as placing more civilians in the line of fire is a good thing for a cylon. It also would completely negate the human strategy of damaging basestars (something that is predominantly seen in CFB games, but also appears in regular games).

B)Useful like you said early in the jump cycle. It puts pressure on the humans: Two Heavy Raider activations puts a couple centurions on board and even a single activation plus an upcoming Cylon turn can create huge headaches for the humans.

C)I really like this idea. I've been toying with ways to make Raiders move counter-clockwise. Using this in a situation with a large Raider fleet in 1 and civilians in 4 would really make for an interesting game. Now the Raider fleet is going to be moving through launched Vipers to get at the Civilians. It's situational, but could be very useful.

D)It would be the second option because both B) and C) would hurt or just not help the Cylon player. It might make the difference in 1 out of every couple games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording on A and B should be sufficient. Removing the ships isn't optional - you have to do it.

D) won't often make more sense than simply activating raiders to get closer to destroying civvies.

But don't underestimate it either. The ships you check don't have to reveal differences. Even if both are revealed to be 1 pop, there are 4 double-resource ships, but only two decoys. So in that case, it will almost always make sense to simply target ships you haven't looked at yet.

Cavil's Primacy should still be superior most of the time. Sector 2 is usually the least useful for a basestar, when it comes to launching ships. Sector 5 is usually the most easily defended, for the humans.

Cavil can add a second basestar, which isn't possible with A). He also adds 3 raiders straight away. The valid question is, since A) is combined with another option of the BB, is this combination more powerful than Primacy? A) + B) seem to be a strong contender for that, when there aren't any ships on the board yet, so it may need some more tweaking.

One thing I'm considering would be to add a die roll, similar to the Pursuit Track/Jump Track option on the original BB. 1-3, add the basestar, 4-8, add the civvie.

Vollick, unfortunately, the CFB will also never have games where the humans fight themselves through 3 CACs and Massive Assault (and scout away two more) on the last jump cycle, to win the game.

You have a good point about A). One immediate change to the better would be this:

A) Remove 1 basestar and 1 civilian ship from the game board. Then place 1 basestar in sector 2, and 1 civilian ship in sector 5.

Sector 5 will rarely be more exponated than any other sector on the board, so the civvie swap won't often help the Cylons. You can now use it in conjunction with D), however, to replace a decoy or 1 pop ship with a new one.

Or I could remove the civvie entirely from option A. And maybe add it as a seperate option.

It is very intentional that A) gives the Cylons the option to repair a basestar. Leaving a crippled pet basestar around always was a game-y strategy. Between XOs to someone in Weapons Control or CIC, and the Critical Hit token, the humans should still have a good chance to go for the kill if they put up an effort, before their work is negated. Besides, a Cylon using his valuable turn to repair a basestar, and not much else, might still be preferable to the humans.

B) might be a little strong. I think it would work on its own, but A) + B) is a little much, compared to a previously empty board. But as you said, if the crisis cards or turn order are favorable, this can very easily result in 2 centurions onboard. Maybe simply change it to a single heavy behind Galactica?

C) and D) seem adequate as something that can be combined with one of the other options, especially when there are already ships on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well your new A) might actually be better for the Cylon player. Humans will often take advantage of a "decoy" civilian ship to force a large Raider fleet to move clockwise away from a larger fleet of civilian ships. If the Cylon player can peel that decoy civilian off it essentially does what C) is meaning to do.

With regards to B) I think just a lone heavy raider is too weak. Maybe a Heavy Raider in 1 and a Heavy Raider in 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm not happy with that solution either. Maybe I'll just leave the basestar part, and ditch the civvie entirely.

Unless a CAC happens, you'll only get two or three raiders, which will mostly waste their time scratching Galactica's paint. But that's still better than nothing at all happening on a raider activation.

Besides, there are still destinations and non-attack crises that can place civilians. It also keeps Primacy clearly stronger. And you can still use C) to move raiders that appear that way, in anticipation of civilians appearing later.

Your suggestion for the heavies sounds like a winner!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my variant Treachery deck I had situations where just a single basestar and 3 Raiders were deployed without a civilian. My rationale was that if the humans want to they can go out and fight the Raiders.

I wouldn't want 3 Raiders rolling too many times against Galactica/Pegasus. Sure on average you're not going to get a lot of hits but the game where you see three 8's in a row could definitely be the difference maker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.