GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,435 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Dixit: Odyssey» Forums » General

Subject: A foam board insert that holds the three decks sleeved rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things that was very well thought about Dixit3 was the insert, with the three holes for people owning all decks... unsleeved.

But for me, these cards are too beautiful, and too "handled" during the game, not to be sleeved, specially when sleeves of the right size can be easily found. I got very thin ones, that fit the cards almost perfectly, and for a few months I have pushed the decks into the insert for a very tight fit.

Until recently, when I followed a user's idea and built an insert for Mississippi Queen that holds base game plus expansion:

I made it with 3mm foam board, very easy to cut with an Xacto knife, light, and that can be mounted with superglue. And then I said to myself "let's give some room to breathe to the Dixit decks!":

I have no file with the pieces because it is very straightforward. The base has the inner width of the box (26.9cm), the depth is that of the cards plus the 2x3mm back and front plus a few mm more (13.5cm), the height is 4.5cm (a few mm more than my sleeved decks). Zoom to original size to see details.

I left holes on the front in order to take the decks more easily. And, since the insert holds only the cards, it can be put on the table during the game. I had thought of a complete insert like the one I made for Mississippi Queen, but I'm glad I made it this way, the other components can go into zip bags in the other half of the box.

The cards are happy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
One more thing: I guess you can use other glues, I just happen to use superglue as soon as I can!

But superglue "attacks" foam, so, if you use it, when gluing two pieces apply the glue on the protected side, not on the side with the foam exposed, and then press for a few seconds. If you apply the superglue on the exposed foam it will "make holes" in the few seconds before you put the pieces together.

Of course thin cardboard could do for the insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Dumitru
Romania
Otopeni
Ilfov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[url][/url]http://boardgamegeek.com/article/9554246#9554246

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.