Subject: Two games, one winner (spoilers hidden) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My view of Risk Legacy went quickly from "Huh, that's an interesting idea" to "I must own this!" I've spent the last several weeks thinking about it, re-reading the rules, reading spoiler-free accounts, and even looking back at my old game of Risk and contemplating strategies. My copy finally arrived on Wednesday, but I waited until my Saturday game meeting to break the seal.

Four of us had gathered: me (Scott), out host, Barry, my housemate, Jason, and Ron. Once we had gathered, I cut the seal, read the pledge, and had everyone sign. I read the introduction, explained the basics, and had them each assign 2 coins as they wishes, then placed 2 of my own. I then shuffled and dealt out four cards to receive the remaining coins; Scandinavia and Eastern US became the 3 point territories of this world.

I explained that usually, we'd roll for turn order and pick factions, but in this case, I was exercising my prerogative as the guy who spent the money and choosing the Saharan Republic as my starting faction. Jason opted for the Enclave, Barry grabbed the Imperials, and Ron took Die Mechaniker. I passed around the power cards, had each choose one and tear up the card; Jason tried to pass it off on me, not wanting to destroy something I'd paid for, but I insisted. This initial destruction of something that was no longer part of the game was an important buy-in.

We rolled for turn order and placed HQs, ending up with this:

1. Jason- Enclave of the Bear, Russia (Defender subtracts 1 from his lower defense die)
2. Barry- Imperial Balkania, China (Round up when recruiting)
3. Ron- Die Mechaniker, Argentina (HQ is fortified)
4. Scott- Saharan Republic, East Africa (You may maneuver at any point during the turn)
(Unplayed- Khan Industries, place one troop in each territory you control with an HQ)

Africa had been my planned starting spot- not as difficult to control as Europe or Asia, but a bigger boost than South America or Australia. Ron almost went with Africa for his start, which would have caused me to shift to North America. The stage was set.

Jason grabbed Europe quickly, but he had to exercise caution with Barry so close to his HQ. Barry declined to make the early attack and just expanded through Asia. Ron conquered South America and sent an expeditionary force into North Africa. I took the rest of Africa and tried to complete my influence on the continent, but Ron was ready for me- the first scar was played, a bunker. I would spend much of the game kicking myself- I had an ammo shortage in my hand, but planned to use that when I attacked South America. Instead, many Saharans died, only taking North Africa at the end.

Ron and Jason both moved into North America, and Jason and Barry battled it out on the Eurasian border. Barry protected Middle East with a bunker when Ron came knocking, while Jason played an ammo shortage on himself in Afghanistan- ceding the territory but leaving a permanent hole in Asia's defenses.

HQs were the key to Barry's victory- his armies enlarged by Asia and Australia, he took Russia and East Africa.

The major city of Hong Kong was built in China to commemorate Barry's victory. The rest of us placed minors, Zilion in Brazil, Bjornir in Scandinavia, and Bartertown in South Africa.

We diced off for the next game. Barry and I tied with 6s, but he won in the reroll. Everyone tried another faction, ending up with:
1.Barry-Khan Industries, China, in his major city (Place one troop in each territory you control with an HQ)
2. Ron- Enclave of the Bear, Central America (Defender subtracts 1 from his lower defense die)
3. Scott- Imperial Balkania, Madagascar (hey, I figured the Africa strategy was sound, just needed some more protection for my HQ) (Round up when recruiting)
4. Jason- Die Mechaniker, Iceland (HQ is fortified)
Unplayed- Saharan Republic, East Africa (You may maneuver at any point during the turn)

No scars for this game, as three had been played and three not played. Barry again spread throughout Asia and into Australia (I'd pointed out that Khan Industries was well suited for Asia since it had an additional troop each turn, and Barry made the most of it). Ron expanded into North America and South America. I took Africa, then stole South America from Ron. Jason took Europe and Greenland- this would be his highwater mark.

Ron ignored my intrusions (just turning back to reclaim his HQ whenever I ventured in that direction). He charged through Greenland and took Iceland and Scandinavia. Barry, after solidifying his holdings, came like a horde through the Middle East to take take parts of Africa, including my city and HQ. The name of the game became gang up on Barry, mostly prevent him from holding Asia. I used forces bolstered by a card turn-in to charge up through Southern Europe, Russia, and Ural, ending my advance in China itself. The dice hated me, grudgingly giving me each victory, so it was a single Imperial holding the territory. That didn't last long. I spent the rest of my days trying vainly to reclaim South Africa and my HQ in Madagascar (managed the first by the end, failed at the second).

Ron opened up the second front against Barry, attacking from Alaska to Kamchatka. He succeeded on some attacks, failed on others. Perhaps things would have changed if he finished conquering North America, but he inexplicably left two territories empty.

It came down to HQs again. Barry held mine for most of the game. I pointed out as he was about to turn in cards for troops, he could instead wait a turn and get a red star. He did that, then moved against Jason's HQ in Iceland. Jason, after much effort, had reclaimed it, but his three troops couldn't stand against the seven from Khan. Jason stuck to one die on defense, winning the first two exchanges, then lost three in a row.

Barry signed his name and added Bahran in the Middle East. Ron placed the minor city of Chitown. Jason and I decided not to clutter our starting areas with cities instead augmented cards.

Barry had signed the board for the second time, so we opened a packet:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Our first missions and first events! Additionally, our first rule update, which did not want to peel cleanly. Interestingly, only the factions that had been played once would get to make use of the homeland rule in our next game.

The World Capital became available, but the biggest territories were worth 3 coins, so it's still at least another game before that will come out. I had some interest in the sealine mission, as I'd previously wondered if the game would add new routes in someway.

We put the game away then, rather than exhaust ourselves on it. I think everyone would have been good for another game or three. We'll play again next Saturday. With Barry's two wins, Jason and I are talking about getting the "First Player Eliminated" packet open...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lim
United States
Beaumont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What cards got resource coins? They've gotten much more important in our world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
srhall79 wrote:

Interestingly, only the factions that had been played once would get to make use of the homeland rule in our next game.

If I understand you correctly, then you got it wrong... see here:

According to the rules, you actually put your name and starting territory on the back of the card right away, so that especially the factions which have never been played can make use of the homeland, whereas other factions need to watch out what they pick every game so as not to neutralize their chance of having a homeland... #our reading, anayway.

Cool report!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I believe he's doing it right. Each of the factions that was played twice started in two different continents, thus not having a homeland, whereas the ones that played once do have one. Just random chance. However, keep in mind that the starting location for game three will immediately count toward determining a homeland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobDaviau wrote:
Actually I believe he's doing it right. Each of the factions that was played twice started in two different continents, thus not having a homeland, whereas the ones that played once do have one. Just random chance. However, keep in mind that the starting location for game three will immediately count toward determining a homeland.

Yeah, didn't catch the bit about including the current game when I typed up the report. So the once played factions will get it if they start on the same continent, and the twice played will get a homeland if they choose one of the two regions they've started in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PoisonApple wrote:
What cards got resource coins? They've gotten much more important in our world.

Africa: South Africa, Egypt, and North Africa have 2 each. Ron placed South Africa as a possible starting spot, I did Egypt since I was planning on starting on the continent. I added North Africa after the second game to give my preferred starting land an added bonus, and to reflect its importance with the bunkers.

Asia: China and Kamchatka have 2 each- I think Barry placed these in the initial setup, which has the lingering effect of strengthening his starting position. I had initially planned on sticking one in the Middle East to reflect real-world resources, but decided not to as it was likely I wouldn't take it.

Australia: New Guinea has 2 from the random distribution of coins. Australia has been mostly ignored except as free troops for Barry- once his troops go down in China, Australia brings one into direct conflict with him... which might be a good plan next game.

Europe: Russia, Northern and Southern Europe all have 2 coins, Scandinavia has 3. Jason placed the coins in Russia and Scandinavia in the initial setup. The random coins also built up Southern Europe and gave the third coin to Scandinavia. Since Scandinavia also has a minor city, it's been a key country in the struggles. Jason added Northern Europe after the second game to enrich his preferred continent.

North America: Eastern United States has 3 coins- I'd placed one of mine in the initial setup after deciding against the Middle East, partly because of real-world resources and industry, and partly because it felt "wrong" that North America was all 1 point territories. Random selection gave EUS its third coin. North America has mostly been slapfights between Jason and Ron, but Ron did use the EUS card for an influx of new troops in the second game.

South America: Argentina has 2, placed by Ron in the initial setup for his starting territory.

We could be out minor cities in two more games, leaving coins as the consolation prizes. I'll be curious to see what happens then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
RobDaviau wrote:
This inspires a new question:
What if a faction has been played at least once in each continent? Would that let them get the bonus for any starting location?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.