Russell Alphey
Australia
New Norfolk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A reading of the rules has thrown up a couple of questions that it'd be nice to have sorted out before we actually play...

1. Auctions: The rules says that bidding should proceed clockwise from the leading player, however power plant selection is done in player order. Should bidding be in player order also?

2. First turn auction: As every player must buy a plant, it more or less follows that they must also place a bid on the plant they choose, correct? (As an aside, it seems to me that the other players will just pass in order to get at the "better" plants...)

3. Buying resources: Each player can buy twice their total production requirements, even if they could then not store those resources, correct?

4. Building: You are allowed to "skip" a City that you don't want to, or can't, connect immediately as long as you pay the connection costs. My question is, if you do skip an City, do you have to pay the connection costs later on when you do decide to build there? I would have thought not, but it's not mentioned in the rules...

Thanks in advance for any help!

R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rules Questions - before our first game!
Gomez wrote:
A reading of the rules has thrown up a couple of questions that it'd be nice to have sorted out before we actually play...

1. Auctions: The rules says that bidding should proceed clockwise from the leading player, however power plant selection is done in player order. Should bidding be in player order also?

You proceed clockwise. If someone other than the starting bidder wins the plant, the starting bidder puts up another plant. If the starting bidder wins the plant, or passes, the next bidder (not necessarily sitting next to the current bidder) puts a plant up for auction. Note that any player who passes when they are the bidder may not bid in later auctions.

Gomez wrote:
2. First turn auction: As every player must buy a plant, it more or less follows that they must also place a bid on the plant they choose, correct? (As an aside, it seems to me that the other players will just pass in order to get at the "better" plants...)

While this is often true, some players might feel that some of the plants are worth more than their face value. Such as bidding 4 or 5 on the 3 plant to allow for building and buying resources first. In the first round, the higher plants that fall into the active market (7-10) are not much more valuable than the starting plants (3-6).

Gomez wrote:
3. Buying resources: Each player can buy twice their total production requirements, even if they could then not store those resources, correct?

Each player may store at each plant twice what that plant uses in production. So a plant that uses 3 coal, can store up to 6 coal. If that plant does not power up at the end of the turn, then the 6 coal will stay on the plant. If the plant powers up, then there will be 3 coal available for storage and purchase in the next round. Note that you may move resources between plants so long as the resource types are legal. (Example you have a lot of flexibiility if you have 1 coal, 1 oil and 1 hybrid.)

Gomez wrote:
4. Building: You are allowed to "skip" a City that you don't want to, or can't, connect immediately as long as you pay the connection costs. My question is, if you do skip an City, do you have to pay the connection costs later on when you do decide to build there? I would have thought not, but it's not mentioned in the rules...

Thanks in advance for any help!

R.

You do have to re-pay the cost, but only the lower value.

Example: A - 10 - B - 6 - C

You have a plant in city A. To build a plant in city C, you pay 10 + 6 + the cost of C (10 if you are the first one in, then 15 or 20)

If you later go back to build on B, you would only have to pay 6 + the cost of B, since you could get to B from A or C.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
asmiles wrote:
Gomez wrote:

You proceed clockwise. If someone other than the starting bidder wins the plant, the starting bidder puts up another plant. If the starting bidder wins the plant, or passes, the next bidder (not necessarily sitting next to the current bidder) puts a plant up for auction. Note that any player who passes when they are the bidder may not bid in later auctions.

This is correct. It might be more precise to have the bidding go in turn order rather than clockwise, but it doesn't matter much either way and doing it clockwise is quicker and easier. What is critical is who much choose what plant is put up for auction more than in what order they bid.

I note that Das Zepter von Zavandor which has an auction mechanic somewhat similar to the one in Power Grid does have the bidding go in turn order, not clockwise. So it's not like there was only one way the designer of Power Grid could have gone here.

But the rules are clear: In Power Grid, the auction goes clockwise.

asmiles wrote:

Gomez wrote:

Each player may store at each plant twice what that plant uses in production. So a plant that uses 3 coal, can store up to 6 coal. If that plant does not power up at the end of the turn, then the 6 coal will stay on the plant. If the plant powers up, then there will be 3 coal available for storage and purchase in the next round. Note that you may move resources between plants so long as the resource types are legal. (Example you have a lot of flexibiility if you have 1 coal, 1 oil and 1 hybrid.)

To clarify here, the original poster is *not* correct. If you have resources saved over from previous rounds you can buy resources until you have twice what can be used, but depending on what you have saved it is possible that you are not allowed to buy anything at all in the current round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gomez wrote:

Bidding goes in clockwise order. It woulkd work the other way, but that's not how the rules are written. Selecting the next plant to be auctioned is done by the highest player in the player order who hasn't either already prucahsed a plnat this auction round or who hasn't passed on selecting a plant to be auctioned.

wrote:

Yes, the player who selects a plant to be auctioned, must make an opening bid of at least the printed value of the plant. Yes, the other players can just pass and stick the selector with that plant, but after you get some experence with the game you will discover the some of the early plants have a real value that is greater then the printed value.

wrote:

No, you may not buy resources that you can't store on a plant. Each plant can store upto twice its operating capacity.

wrote:

Yes, you must always pay the smallest connection cost to any city you buy, even if it was skipped earlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Alphey
Australia
New Norfolk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the replies & your help!

As it happened, the plant selecting player didn't get "stuck" with their plant, just as you all predicted

We rather enjoyed our first game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.