Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have two tower tiles, and I placed one settlement at the board's edge, the next one would have to go right next to it, yes?

When we played, my daughter was placing them in each sector, to help her with a goal, but it occurred to me part way into the game that this probably isn't legal (I let her score for them anyway, BTW).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullwinkle wrote:
If I have two tower tiles, and I placed one settlement at the board's edge, the next one would have to go right next to it, yes?

When we played, my daughter was placing them in each sector, to help her with a goal, but it occurred to me part way into the game that this probably isn't legal (I let her score for them anyway, BTW).

Yes, as soon as you place your first settlement on the edge you're obligated to place the next settlement beside it provided a legal space is available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Building Rule 3 explicitly requires it:
Building Rule 3 wrote:
Always, a player must build each new settlement adjacent to at least one of their own existing settlements, if possible.

PS: This applies to 2 of the 3 movement (not building) actions as well. The only exception is the Paddock (2-space jump), which explicitly mentions that it is an exception.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Building Rule 3 explicitly requires it:
Building Rule 3 wrote:
Always, a player must build each new settlement adjacent to at least one of their own existing settlements, if possible.

PS: This applies to 2 of the 3 movement (not building) actions as well. The only exception is the Paddock (2-space jump), which explicitly mentions that it is an exception.

However, for the movement tiles, keep in mind, that you first remove/pick-up the settlement and only then check for the requirement to place it next to an existing one.

This can be important when you have only one house next to your current terrain (e.g. desert ) and you want to use the barn, for example. If you first pickup your only house that is neighbouring a desert, you are then basically free to put it down in any desert you like (and then place your three other buildings in this desert as well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I over thought this one in our one play with the Tower.

The rules state: "Build one settlement at the edge of the game board. Choose any of the 5 suitable terrain type hexes. Build adjacent if possible."

So our interpretation was the following:

Play your tower tile.

Pick a terrain type.

Then determine if adjacency was possible based on that terrain type.

So if you had no way to connect to your canyons on the edge you could build on any edge canyon, but once you you had a valid placement for an edge canyon then that terrain type would need to follow the adjacent rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
RyanMC wrote:
Maybe I over thought this one in our one play with the Tower.

The rules state: "Build one settlement at the edge of the game board. Choose any of the 5 suitable terrain type hexes. Build adjacent if possible."

So our interpretation was the following:

Play your tower tile.

Pick a terrain type.

Then determine if adjacency was possible based on that terrain type.

So if you had no way to connect to your canyons on the edge you could build on any edge canyon, but once you you had a valid placement for an edge canyon then that terrain type would need to follow the adjacent rule.

Hmm, yes, I can see interpreting it that way. The rule's wording is a little odd, indeed. Instead of "Build one settlement at the edge of the game board. Choose any of the 5 suitable terrain type hexes." it should probably say something like "Build one settlement at the edge of the game board on a hex of any of the 5 normally buildable terrain types."

Donaldx confirmed in another thread that the simpler interpretation is intended:
donaldx wrote:
If you are adjacent to any hex on the edge of the board that isn't water etc., you will have to take one of those hexes with the Tower if you use it.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7596317#7596317

(Forum search for "tower" is your friend.)

===

EDITED TO CLARIFY:

I took the original post to be asking "Can you put the second tower settlement on any arbitrary edge hex?" not just specifically "Must it be placed adjacent to the first tower settlement, as opposed to adjacent to some other settlement of mine?"

The point is you must place the second tower settlement on an edge hexes adjacent to some existing house of yours, possibly but not necessarily including the first tower settlement you just placed.

Of course it doesn't have to be adjacent to the first tower settlement you just placed if there are other edge hexes which are also adjacent to your settlements.

And conversely the second tower settlement could go on any arbitrary edge hex if your first edge placement was such that all its adjacent edge hexes are unplayable (due to being water / mountain / already occupied) and you had no other settlements adjacent to any other edge hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullwinkle wrote:

If the only edge spaces that were adjacent to your existing settlements were adjacent to your first tower play, then yes you would have to play adjacent to that one. But so long as you had legal plays, you are not required to place the tower plays adjacent to each other.

The same principle applies to your normal turn. If you play a canyon terrain card, and have settlements adjacent to 3 different canyon areas across the board, you are free to play in each of them. Your 3 canyon plays are not specifically re=quired to played next to each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I should have specified that no other settlements were near the edge in my OP.

I appreciate the help (though not necessarily the mild finger wagging that went with some of it - if the rules were clear, I wouldn't have asked, and the BGG search function isn't what I'd call "friendly" )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.