GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,246 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Buffing the Villains rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Hogan
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all,

We fought Ashardalon last night and 3 shotted him because people still had their dailies when we reached him.

It has me wondering if the Villain's hitpoints should scale with the size of the group.

I know the Villain gets more actions with more players, but it seems to me that a large party has a significant advantage over a small one.

I'm thinking of maybe lowering the base hitpoints of each Villain by 2 and then adding 2 for each player. So Ashardalon would have 10 hitpoints + 2 per player = 20 vs a full party.

Has anyone proposed/tried this before? Thoughts on what might be a good rule of thumb for increasing hitpoints?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on luck (monsters, encounters, treasures, dice rolls etc) the game can play out very different each time.

I never felt the need to scale the villains in WoA because of the chambers they appear in. Having an extra monster per player show up usually scales the encounter well enough.

Your idea is good- try it out and let us know how it works!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vayda is correct that the difficulty of the endgame villain battle depends a lot on the lead up to it. The advantage with more players is that there are more usable daily and utility powers. However this is offset by encounters / monsters that hit multiple heroes and also by the fact that all heroes share only 2 healing surges.

Let's say we use the healing surges as an indicator of how tough the game has been, maybe we can do this - the villain gets an extra 2HP for each unused Healing Surge.

Thematically it could represent either a regular villain who has filled the dungeon with more dangerous traps and monsters to ensure his own survival (the players had a horrid game) OR a particularly powerful and confident villain who has not spent too much effort in shoring up his defenses (the players had a challenging game but nothing they couldn't handle easily).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lol... if you look at the PBF game in progress, it kind of shows how even a semi-experienced 4 person party can get torn apart before even reaching the Chamber.

I just see it as, if the villian was easy to defeat because you still had your Daily powers, then you navigated the dungeon well and deserve to mess the villian up quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have Doomjester join your next PBF game. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmb
After seeing that I only draw black tiles and roll all hits for monsters (well, thats a slight exaggeration), he may not want to play... shake

Of course, we haven't had much help from Sacred Flame either... lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.