Popular Tags: [View All]
Cédric Junillon
France
Lausanne (Switzerland) or Lyon (France)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I have now played quite a lot of LOTR:Tc games (30 to be precise), and I think there is a problem in the game's equilibrium when the advanced card are used...

Without these cards: it seems pretty much even.

However, the 2 advanced light cards seem far more powerful than the 2 dark cards and I have the impression they destroyed that fragile parity between experienced players... 20 of my games are in advanced mode and 18 of them were won by the light even though we often switch sides with my 3 different partners...

It just seems that Gripoil (the horse's french name) and Gandalf the White are far more powerful than their counterparts, and that a good player will never lose with the Light...

One enables Frodo (or someone else) to move twice in a row, thus rushing to the finish or easily skipping the mountains (one of the rare places to corner him with the Nazgûl), and the other one brings back in the game a real pain in the ass... Needing to leave someone in Fangorn for the whole game so he cannot come back really proves very difficult...

On the other hand, we have The Spirit of The Ring which can be useful when both players are trying to buy time but not all games end up like that...
and the Palantir which effect is really laughable... OK it helps you a bit to counter one bluff or detect an easy prey, but it is in my opinion nowhere as powerful as the light cards...

That is why I am thinking of changing these powers since the game without the advanced cards is a bit less interesting...
I would probably make the Palantir permanent on the revealed person throughout the game... (no way to hide him back) and maybe the Spirit of The Ring could teleport backwards anywhere he pleases and not just Mordor...

First of all, do you agree with me about this equilibrium problem (experienced players) and second of all, what do you think of my suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Lord of the Rings Confrontation equilibrium...
I think that experienced players are not supposed to use those cards!

My rules suggest they be used to handicap one side or the other, should the two players be of differing skill levels...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédric Junillon
France
Lausanne (Switzerland) or Lyon (France)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My rules (the French one) say: "if players are not of the same level, you may want to use only some of the special cards"... so they suggest to play with them all...
And I actually the game much more enjoyable and varied with those special powers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've talked to a lot of Confrontation players from different groups, not used to play with each other. As far as I've seen, people that the game favors Sauron if you don't use the extra cards. We could see similar results in the PBEM tournament that was played here.

There's no question that the extra black cards are weaker than white's.

Have you taken a look at the session reports from the tournament? Is there anything the players are missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.