tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not both? :) If you have to choose only one, I'd have to say RtL, hands down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played Sea of Blood, but I'll say that Road to Legend has been one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. We're just about to start our second campaign after the heroes won the first one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I should certainly go for RtL. SoB will be available for years to come, but RtL is becoming very rare.

I bought SoB recently. Most of that expansion can not be combined with RtL but the dungeons and rumours can. And these are fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't have RTL, but from everything I've read, everything about SOB that was supposed to be good ended up sucking because of a few rules, with some exceptions.

So, in my admittedly half-assed opinion:

DUNGEONS from SOB are WAY WAY WAY better. I'm pretty sure this is correct.

FINAL FIGHT rules from SOB are better. Not positive, but think this is the case. Just look up the rules.

EVERYTHING ELSE from RTL is better.

Again, largely speculative, but I don't think I'm too far off the mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This.
ignorantpenguin wrote:
I don't have RTL, but from everything I've read, everything about SOB that was supposed to be good ended up sucking because of a few rules, with some exceptions.

Not just sucking, a lot of things are literally unplayable without vast houserules.
If you are willing to do a whole bunch of houserule work, then SoB might be worth a try, but otherwise I wouldn't touch it with barge pole if I were you, except to get the extra dungeons to play with RtL and maybe to import the final battle rules into RtL.

If you do go SoB, send me a PM with an address I can send an attachment to (ie not BGG PM) and I'll send you the FAQ Proposal Document a group of us from FFG forums put together to assist FFG in producing the next FAQ. That will cover a lot of the potential rules issues you might come across if you want to play SOB, and even a lot of the balance issues (though the ideas for rectifying balance are not playtested, just whatever people came up with). But there is a lot of work in there for you if you go that route.

Quote:
DUNGEONS from SOB are WAY WAY WAY better. I'm pretty sure this is correct.

Yes, although to be fair, more interesting and more challenging is probably more accurate than just 'better'. There are a wider selection of bosses, probably better boss rules (the leader bonuses vary with campaign level), and generally better design in terms of obstructions and blockages that make it more difficult to anti-spawn (have LOS to, to prevent spawning) pretty much the entire level. They are also slightly more random in terms of glyphs and chests per level - which is certainly more interesting, but may or may not be 'better' depending on your POV.

Quote:
FINAL FIGHT rules from SOB are better. Not positive, but think this is the case. Just look up the rules.

Well, anything would be better than the original RtL final battle rules. I'm not sure SoB final battle rules have had enough playtest to be solid or not. It isn't really possible to get that far unless the OL deliberately lets the heroes do so.

Quote:
EVERYTHING ELSE from RTL is better.

Well, RtL is thoroughly tested and has had almost all the kinks ironed out. The last FAQ was maybe two years? after RtL was introduced, so had plenty of time for rules kinks and imbalances to have been ironed out. The last FAQ was just a few months after SoB was released and although there is some SoB material in it SoB had hardly been played and must have only been a handful of campaigns had even come close to the end by the time the FAQ material was prepared.

In summary, it isn't really comparable.
RtL no question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ibarzabal

Campinas
Sao Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing worth mentioning too:

You can use Dungeon Level cards and Rumour cards mixed, in both games.
So you could play a RTL campaign with both decks combined and make use of all those dungeons (or the other way around, Play SOB with combined decks)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has played one RTL campaign, and are starting our second. I have Sea of Blood as well, and we use the Dungeons and most of the Rumors. I agree with pretty much every point made by the above posters. If you want to know why people are having trouble with Sea of Blood, check out the forums under the expansion listing. I don't think we will be trying SOB any time soon, but we are extremely happy with RTL.

As far as the "2nd edition" goes, from what I can tell, it's a completely different game. It has different dice, different components, a different format on the character sheets. It may be a wonderful game, but it's not the same game, revised. More re-envisioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

corbon wrote:
If you do go SoB, send me a PM with an address I can send an attachment to (ie not BGG PM) and I'll send you the FAQ Proposal Document a group of us from FFG forums put together to assist FFG in producing the next FAQ. That will cover a lot of the potential rules issues you might come across if you want to play SOB, and even a lot of the balance issues (though the ideas for rectifying balance are not playtested, just whatever people came up with). But there is a lot of work in there for you if you go that route.

I have seen that on the FFG-forum, yeah. SoB is badly unbalanced but there's a lot of inventive and exhilirating stuff in that expansion. A game that complex and with so many mechanisms can and should be rebalanced and you and your fellow SoBbers have done a lot of groundwork. What pisses me off is that FFG doesn't seem to appreciate or even acknowledge your efforts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
miloboy wrote:

which one is better ?
Ps. or should I wait for 2nd edition ?

RtL is definitely the better of the two AC expansions, as you may have gathered by now. However, RtL is also generally getting difficult to find (in North America, anyway. Not sure what availability is like over in Thailand.)

If you have a source for a copy of RtL already, I'd suggest snapping it up if you're really interested in the advanced game. If you don't, however, then actually getting a copy of RtL might be more expensive than it's worth.

We know very little about 2e at this point, but we do know it will have a "campaign mode" right out of the box. Based on what I know of FFG from past games I've seen them make new editions of, I feel reasonably confident in saying these two things:
1) The campaign mode in 2e will likely make great strides to patching up the errors made in the 1e AC expansions (FFG usually learns from their past mistakes pretty well.)
2) I would be highly surprised if the campaign mode in 2e was not very similar to the AC game in 1e (allowing for whatever core rules changes are coming down the pipe, of course.)

So, depending on how hard it is to find RtL in your area, and depending on how easy it is for you to wait a bit longer, it might be worthwhile just waiting for 2e. However, if you do in fact have a source to purchase RtL from right now (and for a reasonable price) I would say go for it anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

OP just got ToI, AoD and WoD and apparently wants to play AC's. Waiting for 2e would be a waste of money...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miloboy gogogo
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my local Kino kuniya

has both (and SoB also include Nara The Fang)

Thank you very much guy

I'll check for RotL tomorrow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RtL is my all time favourite Descent expansion and I don't play without it anymore. I would get it first but keep in mind FFG is doing their annual XMas sale right and Sea of Blood is on for $25 (MSRP is $50).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris ward
Scotland
Paisley
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Corbon,

I'd be interested in the proposed SoB FAQ if you'd be willing to send me a copy. My 10 yo daughter is a huge Descent fan, and her enthusiasm has gone through the roof since we picked up RtL. I have just picked up a copy of SoB for her xmas, we'll probbaly mostlt use it as an extra dungeon resourse for RtL, but doubtless we'll like to play a SoB campaign someday, if only because rachel loves Razorwings and hellhounds and will surely want to play as the Count and the master of the Hunt eventually.

- Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Jan Tuijp wrote:

OP just got ToI, AoD and WoD and apparently wants to play AC's. Waiting for 2e would be a waste of money...

All of the vanilla expansions have figures that will carry forward into 2e. RtL and SoB have probably nothing that will carry forward (unless you want to count Nara the Fang as "something from SoB.")

2e is approximately two or three months from release, based on what I've been hearing. It seems to me that breaking the bank to get RtL when another version of the AC will be commercially available at competitive rates in a matter of months would be the real waste.

RtL makes allowances for using monsters from WoD and AoD fairly regularly with the four spawn tables in each dungeon, but nothing else from the vanilla expansions gets used, except in a handful of dungeon levels designed specifically for the respective expansion. 2e will allow all the figures from 1e to carry forward, but none of the terrain or other bits (unless some of those bits happen to be included in the 2e base box). Sounds like 2e is breaking even with RtL in terms of how much use he'll get out of those expansion to me.

Now add in how much he might need to spend to attain an out of print, price-gouged RtL now, versus a new, commercially available product he only needs to wait a few months for.

You are entitled to your opinion, of course. I agree that RtL is worth getting if it can be got for a decent price, but I'm not at all convinced that the choice is as clean cut as you'd like to think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I'd get both....but you will probably be paying a decent amount for Road to Legend. It's the expansion most in demand, and usually commands a premium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Stewi wrote:
You are entitled to your opinion, of course. I agree that RtL is worth getting if it can be got for a decent price, but I'm not at all convinced that the choice is as clean cut as you'd like to think.

You are totally right, ofcourse. But given that he just purchased ToI, WoD and AoD (which is as you know also very hard to find in the western hemisphere) availability might be different in the East...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.