pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my next long term project

a solo adventure game with a narrative structure (think a shorter Magic Realm/Barbarian Prince) which builds upon the Shadows Upon Lassadar story but takes place in the Barrier Plains.

working title - Campaign: Barrier Plains

The Barrier Plains, borderlands between chaos and realm. A place of demons and songs of untruth. Here stands the Fortress of Asigiliath, the Tower of Ash, the ageless city of Severn. From this place of no place travelers, mystics and warriors go forth to Lassadar, Dunmarq and lands only whispered about in the dark recesses of taverns and wayposts.

more posts as the game develops. so far it is notes and designwork and a lot of research but it is developing. all images above are early card sketches i've worked on in the last couple of days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Woodard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like how you have equipment working. Are you going to add cards for armor, helms, boots, etc.? Though having 4 or more cards stuck underneath might be a bit cumbersome...(that actually gives me an idea for BCF...)

I know it might cause a bit of an explosion in cards, but have you considered designing the equipment cards so there are only 2 items per card? That would allow for more game stats (should an item be of high quality/magical) and flavor text...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i am sticking just with left and right handed slots for now. i'd like to keep the game quick and lean as i work on it. there are 4 weapons to a card because of the 4 levels of leveling (umm yeah) in the game. as you gain experience and skill, you level up and have access to the next, more powerful weapon on the card.

depending on the character you can mix and match weapons (1 and 2 handed), spells, knowledge, and defensive shields.

i am keeping 'magic' separate from 'steel' because of how i am designing the characters you choose from. each character has strengths and weaknesses to meet the various campaign challenges and choosing a particular character means you'll have to augment them with the hirelings. hirelings take gold, gold takes adventuring, adventuring takes character etc....

if this system works (and after seeing just how many cards i have to come in at 54 or a 72 deck) then i can add in other equipment types.

one thing i am adding in is the concept of diplomacy. since you are a foreigner in a very foreign land (think elric lost in the multiverse having to deal with law and chaos), each character has to have diplomacy/negotiation skills as well as a strong right or left arm.

some campaigns will be straight monster kills, others will be uniting different factions in the realm. others quests for lost objects of power.

i like what goes on in Magic Realm and Barbarian Prince but i want to create something with less bookkeeping and fewer pages in the manual of things to look up.

i am going to use a Pocket Civ style of event cards where multiple bits of data are on the same card. based on which map section you are on and what surrounds it you will draw a card and reference parts of the card.

also planning some more nomographs for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for those interested in such things: for my research (since i've never really played rpgs or played these extended fantasy simulation games) i've been reading the Barbarian Prince manual, the 3rd edition Magic Realm rules, + the 2 "we'll boil it down for new player"s guides as well as the Mythic Emulator manual (which i like for its self-directed GMless nature), GASLIGHT, and i may pick up the Burning Wheel books because they have a deal at amazon on them.

it is fun to find out about all of this. i am in awe of the work that went into Magic Realm, esp. in the pre-computer/internet days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to check out the Doctor Who: Solitaire Story Game, as well. Simon did some really interesting things with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Forrester
United States
Arlington
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Gotta say the look and theme of this makes my heart pound a bit harder than normal. Can't wait to see what you do with this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks sean. some updates to be posted soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
First I get all excited for Revenge of the Raven Consort and then I see this... I can't wait to try this one! I'm really excited to see how the world of Lassadar is expanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a look at the character cards

there will be female outlines on the reverse side of the cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a first look at the encounter card (similar to pocketciv in that there are 3 types of encounters listed, random number generated from map is linked to type of encounter).

i am going this route rather than having a manual where you have to reference a paragraph or a lookup table. i can pack a lot more data within a small number of cards due to the randomizing feature.

the realm and chaos encounters have room for more story driven elements that drive the campaign you are working on. the 'encounter' encounters are the monster fights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moving along with aspects of the game. this one is slow going mostly because of all the research i am doing and absorbing. one of my goals is to create an opened system in the game so i can add on new map cards or weapons types and have them all work with the base system (so people don't have to reprint anything as part of expansions)

combat encounters are shaping up to be quick but with tactical choices in weaponry
realm actions will include diplomacy and allies gained which will help in other areas of the map
chas actions will be exploratory and maybe have a push your luck idea built in.
each character is shaping up to have good strengths and weaknesses, which, when combined with the different campaigns will make for different styles of play

here then is the first run at an outline for the game:

introduction
the story
realm/chaos

character cards
strengths
abilities
leveling
items - how to equip

gear cards
npcs
types/abilities/how to hire
gold
calendar
tracking events
combat tracker

map cards
encounters
realm
market
chaos

story cards
encounters
realm
chaos

equip cards
w1 - 1 handed weapons
w2 - 2 handed and ranged weapons
d - defensive gear
m - magic
k - knowledge

event cards
weather
chaos
market
alliances and war

campaign cards
goals
winning

setup
choose random event cards
choose campaign
map card layout
reveal all or hidden (face down)
hex layout
linear layout
square layout

choose character

game play
travel
travel/calendar

encounter
combat
damage
retreat
treasure

realm
alliances

market
buy/equip/alliances

chaos
events

winning/losing the campaign

add-ons
river/river travel
coastline
diplomacy
2 player co-op
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Two-player co-op? Because the game isn't awesome enough?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeahhh well that is a future add on, but hopefully yes 2 can go a'wandering together
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i've spent some time tonight in my library surrounded by reference sources, working out some aspects of the game as i parallel the development with the design of the cards (this is my usual working method and why fix what is not broken). i carry with me a planning notebook as ideas come to me (often late at night in bed) and it is starting to become a great reference source for my ideas.

thoughts tonight and where parts of the game are in development

realms:
there will be 4 realms in the game and characters and hired npcs have a realm value when encountering these places.

finding allies in the barrier planes is an important aspect of the game. marketplaces distributed on the cards (places to hire npcs and buy new weapons) will have 1 of 4 icons attached to them, one for each of the realms. you'll be able to buy gear at a reduce cost depending on who is your ally.

when first encountering a realm you'll have to make some sort of roll/realm check to see if you are accepted/lieged/allied. once allied you'll be able to seek an audience and rest to heal wounds or gain information to reveal map cards, etc..

the map cards:
i am looking at 3 possible initial map card setups for the game (25 map cards will be part of the game with possible add ons of a 5-6 river (think the river in carcassone set) and perhaps a set of cards forming a seashore for boat travel along the coast). the hex setup will arrange cards similar to a hex map with access to 6 cards of direction from any one card. travel/exploration is easiest in this version.

a square setup (traditional grid of 5x5 cards) which will decrease the number of travel directions to 4 (orthogonal)

a linear set up (3x8 cards) with a start position in one corner which will make travel lengthy and add time to the campaigns.

all cards begin the game face down and are explored as the game progresses. so you'll define the map as you go along.

each map card will have 1 to 3 locations on it (a mix of encounters, realms, chaos locations and marketplaces). all must be visited before you can travel to the next card. travel across one card takes 1 day of time for those campaigns where time is important. possible random cards drawn durning the game set up will add weather/chaos events to the calendar of days (this is part of a bigger plan i have to add in modular elements that players can toss in if they want more to flesh out the game)

taking an idea from nomographs, encounters increase in difficulty the more of the map that is revealed. it is the aggregate of all surrounding encounter values which determines the encounter type. this way the game can change from one game to the next depending on the mix of numbers. for those with the room to keep things laid out, i could envision a first campaign as one of the exploration, then once all the cards are turned over, face up, you could pick one of the tougher campaigns because you know the lay of the land. so for instance a campaign where you need to ally all 4 realms to win, you'd know where everything is and could make strategic choices. (i am probably going to provide small numbers on each map card similar to reference numbers on wargame hexmaps so you could write the rows/columns down to recreate the map or those who want to create their own campaigns for others could provide preset maps)

combat:
i've been working out a base 2d10 system for combat + d4/d6 modifiers for weapons and damage. toying with if initiative is important or is it simultaneous combat. the 2nd choice of course speeds the game up and has less bookkeeping involved.

i really liked how this worked in the 3rd Lassadar game because i could do weighted d20 rolls + d100 percentage rolls when needed (and this feels right for a fantasy game using a sort of common d20 methodology). this lets me balance luck with probability without making everything too complicated. i am slowly reading through The Burning Wheel RPG system which has a lot of fascinating elements to it as well as Kai's suggestion from way back when about looking at the D6 books for inspiration

easter eggs:
those of you who know my games know i like to add in references to BGG friends and fans and i'd like to continue this tradition. i am opening up the naming of the encounter and chaos areas to those who want to help out.

in keeping with the atmosphere of the barrier planes (again think moorcock's multiverse in tone and weirdness and the Lassadar Grayking/Raven Consort sort of narrative) most of these encounter/chaos areas are along the lines of swamps, ruins, mines, generally shadowy evil type of places. post one or two names you think are evocative and i'll add them into the game mix.

artwork:
the character cards are shaping up well and i have the basic template for the event/campaign and supporting information cards developed.

the map cards are dragging some what due to my lack of illustration skills to draw the terrain elements. i am slowly gathering a library of terrain symbols for this task. my hope is once all 25 cards are turned over you'll get a real sense of a handdrawn fantasy map in front of you.

my next big task is to finalize the layout for all the equipment/weapons cards and create a notation system for the attack/damage values for each weapon. and then apply this to the encountered beings in the game so there is a good mix/balance of strength to attack to damage. (and i think this is going to be one of the harder aspects)

all in all i am chipping away at everything and starting to understand the big picture of the game well. this is allowing me to start stacking details on individual cards and strike the kind of balance i want between an evocative story game like Magic Realm but with much less bookkeeping.

the narrative/world building is slowly creating itself. i am defining the places and population of the game. this will be tied together and strengthened as the game goes along to really try and create a built world for everyone to enjoy playing in.

i'll show off some progress on artwork soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
i am opening up the naming of the encounter and chaos areas to those who want to help out.

in keeping with the atmosphere of the barrier planes (again think moorcock's multiverse in tone and weirdness and the Lassadar Grayking/Raven Consort sort of narrative) most of these encounter/chaos areas are along the lines of swamps, ruins, mines, generally shadowy evil type of places. post one or two names you think are evocative and i'll add them into the game mix.

There are few things I love more than a good brainstorming session!

Encounter ideas:

--Blight Spark
--Toothed Umbra
--Maw Wurm
--Spined Shade
--Demyn
--Oegr
--Vompyr
--Ghinn
--Un'jel
--Guardian Effigy

Area ideas:

--Blighted Valley
--The Scorched Plains
--The Burning Shallows
--Fort Ygdris
--Fortress of Rancor
--Shimmering Tower
--Spiral Pool
--The Narrows
--Mysthall
--Wayborn Keep
--Cairn of the Lost
--Obelisk of Shame

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well 'the narrows' definitely is in. thanks nate!

i also like 'ghinn'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:

i also like 'ghinn'

I like The Narrows just because it shares a name with one of my favorite hikes in the world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Narrows_(Zion_National_Park)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damian isherwood
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bore
Isle of Tears
The Weeping Expanse(plains|tundra)
Pustulent Fen(jungle\swamp)
Brigands Walk(plains)
Wailing Moore(swamp)
Dawns Ridge(mountains\hills)
Eye of the Morning(mountains)
The Glimmer(desert)

I put what I saw each area as but if you decide to use any put it for what ever works for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
dumarest123 wrote:

i also like 'ghinn'

I like The Narrows just because it shares a name with one of my favorite hikes in the world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Narrows_(Zion_National_Park)

That's an easy drive for me. I might have to check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
some new progress images for tonight.

i was watching a chinese film the other night for some inspiration and i happened to get a screen cap at just the right moment. one watercolor filter in photoshop later and i have a rather evocative banner image for the game

also a more detailed look at how the map cards are shaping up

each map card has 1 to 3 locations you'll need to visit in the game. the icon in the bottom left corner designates it as a realm or chaos area. and i've incorporated some place name suggestions by you all as well.

you'll notice the one market location has a shield icon next to it. as you ally yourself with the various realm factions in the game you'll be able to purchase goods as a discount in certain market areas. of course these alliances may work against you as well.

far right shows the updated character card design (male/female versions). i've taken a page from Barbarian Prince and added a reduce combat strength once you've been wounded to a critical degree.

continuing to forge on here. plenty to do but the world continues to come into focus the more i create.

i really liked the place name 'eye of morning' as the location for the start of the game where the barrier gate is. so much thanks for that suggestion. i am giving you a wee bit of GG for that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
definitely not forgetting this game. i've had a slight left turn in re-designing Barbarian Prince: in order to do some further research for C:BP, to understand a bit more about how these kind of story games are structured.

it has definitely been a good idea to work on BP. back on C:BP soon i promise.

first thing to tackle will be finishing the 25 map cards, then work on all event/action cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bren Mayhugh
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks awesome. An idea stuck me while looking through the realm/chaos locations. Since the realm icon is a diamond, couldn't you have technically 4 realms in the game?

At the beginning of the game, you could place a cube in the one of the four sections to determine your realm. All realm cards could have a\one or more sections of the diamond highlighted. If it is the same as yours, you are favored. If it is adjacent, you are neutral and if it is opposite, you are feared/hated. You can work to get more cubes on your "realm compass" to ensure more people will favorably interact with you.

Just a thought - now back to looking at your other games!
-Bren
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Dornfried

Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This project has inspired me with a number of possible scenario ideas. One of which I have roughly sketched out (without knowing the rules yet). I have a little flavor text below and then a concept of how the scenario would play out.

Scenario - Maelstrom
For centuries the veil between worlds has been most fragile within the Barrier Plains, no doubt the reason so many mages have originated from its borders. Now the Grayking and his servants are violently attempting to shatter this barrier, and in the process have set off a maelstrom of chaos. Viciously clawing at our world, the raging swirl of nether energy can be seen for miles and is corrupting the lands as each day passes. Only by traveling to the heart of the fissure with the books of the Council Wardens can we hope to seal the breach and thwart the Grayking once more.

Setup –
The map will be created at the start of the game (all cards placed face down) with the exception of the starting map card the heroes begin their journey from. On the map card that is farthest away from the heroes, place a token to represent the Maelstrom. Each day that passes another token will be placed on an adjacent map card (determined randomly by roll or event card value). This will continue to spread the Maelstrom across the land as the game progresses (providing both threat and bonuses). Any heroes that are on a map card that borders the Maelstrom will have their spell powers increased as well as the cost in mana to cast them. However, each day spent next to or within the Maelstrom will result in losing one point of spirit. Enemies encountered within the Maelstrom will become stronger the closer to the origin they are. Gaining favor with the realms to provide support, such as spirit renewal, can offset this challenge.

This scenario provides a threat that grows over time, and a need to seek diplomatic assistance to allow the heroes the resources to penetrate the storm and seal the fissure.

Again this is just a rough concept and may need to be greatly overhauled when the rules are released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks CJ, definitely along the lines of what i have planned. Different map shapes and degrees of the 'known world' are definitely in my mind.

i appreciate your interest in the game (i'll answer your email to me as soon as i can)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
seriously, discovering PnP games is going to be the death of my bank account. i need to make friends with someone who runs a print shop just so i can get all this stuff free.

on an unrelated note, i hope you get back to this game soon! the design looks great and i know it will be added to the long list of PnPs (several of which are your games or redesigns, todd) that i can't wait to get my hands on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.