GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,741 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Panic Station» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is this worth something? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Lyons Beck
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey man-- smell my finger!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a new copy of Panic Station, broke the rules tonight to figure out how to play. In my copy of the rules, there is no mention about what to do with grey or black parasites, except that black parasites have two hits. The extra five grey parasite stickers provided are never mentioned. (I'm glad they're still on the card and that I didn't stick them on a disk!)
Under "Trading," the rules state that an infection attempt may be dodged, "as explained below." However, the only explanation for how to dodge an infection is in the example and at the end of the rules where each item is explained. The rule seems fairly straight forward, but why refer to something in the text that doesn't exist?
There's no mention of how many cards are drawn in a Team Search.
At the bottom of page 7, it ends with the sentence "From now on, healing here will trigger" like the sentence will be continued on the next page, but page 8 begins with a new section, "7. Use Item"
It says you can use the computer to open all security doors "for the entire current round." This is the only time the term round is used. There's the Turn Structure, and phases, but what constitutes a round?

I keep reading on the forums about rules that don't exist in my copy. So apparently I got a set of rules that was misprinted, or a test copy, or something like that. Is this one of those rare mistakes like the Inverted Jenny? I can't believe any publisher deliberately sending out rules in this condition. So I'm wondering if this thing is worth something, perhaps a collector's item. Did anyone else get a copy of the rules in this condition?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The original rules indeed had lots of issues.
The updated rules are here in the files section:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/72816/panic-station-en...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Starkiller wrote:
The original rules indeed had lots of issues.
The updated rules are here in the files section:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/72816/panic-station-en...


Yes, definitly take this rules-set as a reference.
It is a major improvement over the rules found in the box, covering all possible situations and adding an improved setup as well as a cool new variant.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lyons Beck
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey man-- smell my finger!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ausloosd wrote:

Yes, definitly take this rules-set as a reference.
It is a major improvement over the rules found in the box, covering all possible situations and adding an improved setup as well as a cool new variant.


Hey, I didn't realize what's going on. I should have checked the forums beforehand. I seriously thought I just got a bad copy. I understand how hard it is to get a game completed, and the economic risks aren't easy. Man, that's really hard: sending out your game w/ a broken rule book. Especially since not everyone who buys it will know about BGG, or might not think it's worth it to print out the real rules and just return it to the store. Best of luck, I hope things work out for you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T. Probst
Germany
Waghäusel
of the Art
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brave Sir Robin wrote:
ausloosd wrote:

Yes, definitly take this rules-set as a reference.
It is a major improvement over the rules found in the box, covering all possible situations and adding an improved setup as well as a cool new variant.


Hey, I didn't realize what's going on. I should have checked the forums beforehand. I seriously thought I just got a bad copy. I understand how hard it is to get a game completed, and the economic risks aren't easy. Man, that's really hard: sending out your game w/ a broken rule book. Especially since not everyone who buys it will know about BGG, or might not think it's worth it to print out the real rules and just return it to the store. Best of luck, I hope things work out for you.



Dear John, you've seen things people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
You watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain...


And now you're complaining some small missing sentences or clearer instructions on a game rule..., corrected "around hundred times" by Dawid till now..., but in accordance to that you still complain the hole game experience...? I couldn't believe, with tears in my eyes...
shake
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.