Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Race for the Galaxy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Minimum military? Even for a 0-defense world (after powers applied)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K B
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Does one have to have a positive military strength in order to settle a military world, or JUST a strength >= the defense? If the defense (e.g., by discarding Imperium Cloaking Technology) is reduced to zero, then wouldn't a zero military strength suffice? If less, e.g., -1, than would a -1 military strength suffice (I know how goofy that sounds)?

I thought I was taught a positive military strength was required (effectively, even "0 defense" is really "1 defense" -- you need military strength to settle military worlds). But I may have misunderstood a more basic rule and twisted it in my head. ;-) And I'm not saying my example (ICT) is a good idea!

I couldn't find anything in the rules about this twist, so a strict reading of the main rules (conquering military worlds) and the 2nd expansion rules (ICT's power) indicates to me that 0 >= 0 thus it's legal, but . . . ???

In summary: Does one need military >= defense, or military >= 1 >= defense?

Thanks! Sorry if this is a stupid or old Q. I've Googled, searched the forum, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rulebook wrote:
To conquer a world, a player's total Military must equal or exceed the world's defense.

So yes, you can conquer a military world with 0 defense with a military power of 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K B
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks! I thought that made sense. I must have misinterpreted a specific explanation into a general, different meaning. My bad, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought you were going to ask if you could conquer a zero defense world with a negative military, by asking them nicely while the protestors were away...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunna wrote:
I thought you were going to ask if you could conquer a zero defense world with a negative military, by asking them nicely while the protestors were away...
that's one of the ideas I threw out for user-submitted cards (informally here on BGG)... 0-def military world, so building any of the -1 military cards means they'll torpedo your chances of settling such a world, unless you get your military back up again, or use a pfms/pfmw power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.